• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmissions?

Favorite Transmission?

• Roadranger 13 speed

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Roadranger 15 speed

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Mack Quadruplex

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 4 or 5 speed main w/ 2, 3, or 4 speed Aux.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • newer Mack

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

JDOFMEMI

Dualie

Can you help me on the code for the trans you posted. If I recall right, the first 2 numbers, 20 in this case, represent the engine torque rating, 2000 lbft, and the last 2 represent how many speeds, 18, but what are the middle 2 numbers for?

Dualie

I think i screwed up the numbers im pretty sure now that the trans in my T-800 was RTLO-20918B the first two numbers being the torque rating.

I have NO idea what the heck the 9 is but im 90% sure all the 18spds were the tq rating then 918 then the ratio either A or B

JDOFMEMI

Man, That was the fastest reply ever, and you had to open the file first, then answer! I am impressed.

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Well I love 18 speeds we have Allisons and fuller 18s one 15 speed> i like the maunal transmissions because well I like to shift. The automatics are ok if i was buying trucks it would be the Full18's. The new trucks we Ordered have automatics because we casnt get a motor that meets tier with a jake and a retarder combo.
We are hauling 47 ton and need the braking.

JDOFMEMI

So how does the automatic help whith the lack of the Jake/retarder combo?

I can relate, as that is what I have, and it gives real peace of mind on downhill runs. I have better control on downgreades at 63 ton than the ordinary trucks at 40 ton.

Dualie

Man, That was the fastest reply ever, and you had to open the file first, then answer! I am impressed.

Just finished my HEF browsing for the night and opened my E-mail client and there was your reply waiting for me. Otherwise im usually slow on the reply here

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
So how does the automatic help whith the lack of the Jake/retarder combo?

I can relate, as that is what I have, and it gives real peace of mind on downhill runs. I have better control on downgreades at 63 ton than the ordinary trucks at 40 ton.

We run Cats with jakes and retarders with the 18 speed We also have Detroits with Alisons with the jake retarder combo,now we are getting Cummins and they have to run a automatic to get the jake retarder combo. If we went to the 18 speed we could on have Jakes. and the 47 ton load and the gross weight of 200k we need the breaking power.

buckfever

18spd on a lowboy and a 8LL for the dumps. Our 13spd we have now works well starting out on a long steep grade being able to split the lowers would be nice. We also have a 87 ford with a 10spd with deep reduction and it dosen't seem to bad. Let ya know once we get some more time on it.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Love my Mack 18 speeds and my Fuller 10 speed with deep reduction. They both have something to offer for everything I do.

Pass'n thru

Occupation
truck driver, heavy equipment operator for local r
5 spd main 4 spd aux would be my favorites. I grew up driving those things on really bad logging roads.:bouncegri 18 spd 2 spd rear axles nowadays:D

Gary

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
VERY CAREFULLY ! ........ It can be done ..... but not by a novice unless you are willing to support him with a really fat wallet !

I've got Eaton DT-461's which are 2spd 46,000 lb Diff's ..... they are awesome but very expensive to repair when things go wrong .... ive had to upgrade them from the original DT-460 that was original from '86

My rear-end ratios are 3:90 top end and 5:21 on the bottom end behind a Super 13spd ....... great combo and love it ! .... ton's of lift and good top end

To answer your question .... usually when stopped.

Last edited:

Will Musser

Occupation
Heavyhauler/ Truckbuilder
I pull a lowboy. RTLO 20918B and a airshift 1241 behind it. I keep a spare 1241 around to go in in a hurry cause mine boils its oil ALOT. I'm getting quick at changing it out now. LOL The middle number ins the 18spd is it's design series number. For example, A 18718 is a roller bearing transmission where a 18918 is a tapered bearing transmission. (I could have that backwards.)

LonestarCobra

I prefer the 5 speed with a 1241 behind it. All my trucks have a winch or multiple winches, and they make running the winch nice. For a road truck I really like a 13 or 18 speed. I had a 34,000#gvw service truck with a 8LL and it was a sweet combination also.

tireman

No such thing as a 10 speed w/deep reduction.That would be a 15 speed.Myself, I'm partial to the little red button.

Last edited:

buckfever

Your right. The next day I went and looked at the sunvisor and there it was, 15 speed. I've had some time to drive it and It's not bad. Still perfer an 8LL in the dirt.