• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission problems on John Deere loader

tunerman

I posted this in another thread before I was allowed to start one of my own...Does anyone know how to get the transmission strainer tube out without taking the transmission out..This a 644C John Deere loader...There is a suction tube that runs from the bottom to the top of the transmission..According to what I was told, there is no room to pull the strainer out because of the frame...I haven't looked at this myself.. I am asking for someone else....Thanks...

bobin35

No way to remove it unless you want to cut a hole in the frame,if you have that much debris in transmissin it nees to come out anyways.

tunerman

Thanks a lot bobin...That's what we thought..My friend mentioned cutting a hole in the frame and then welding the piece back in afterwards...We may pull the transmission tommorow....

tunerman

No Ironman,,we didn't take it out...After we looked it over,,we decided not too...I don't know why they built that machine so you couldn't take the strainer out of the transmission without taking the transmission out...He may get a pressure test done on it or just trade the machine for another one...One mechanic said it sounds like the charging pump or the suction tube could have a hole in it...Is this pressure test something we could do ourselves? I have no experiece on trarnsmissions,,but I think between the both of us, we could do a pressure test if we had the right equipment and some instruction. The service man has to come from quite a distance and they charge $100 an hr.....Thans again...

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I don't see anywhere where you say what the machine is doing or not doing.
Does it move at all? Or is it just short on power?
It's an old machine but it should still spin the tires a little if it needs to, going into a pile.
I know guys that have 644C's that love the way they run.

tunerman

Ironman,,,I did explain what the loader was doing in a previous thread by someone else,,,It is about the 17th thread down called John Deere 644c...That was before I was allowed to start my own thread on this forum...
The loader won't move when it's cold..You have to keep coaxing it back and forth for about 20 minutes or so...After the machine warms up it works fine, and yes it will spin its wheels when going into the bank...We have been told by 2 or 3 different mechanics that it could be the a clogged strainer or a charging pump or a couple other things and I can't remember everything they said...We are going to have pressure test done on it somtime next week....Take care....

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
The pressure check seems like the best place to start. If it has never been rebuilt before and the machine has over 12000 hours, it could be seals.
Good Luck finding the problem!

bones87

Ironman,,,I did explain what the loader was doing in a previous thread by someone else,,,It is about the 17th thread down called John Deere 644c...That was before I was allowed to start my own thread on this forum...
The loader won't move when it's cold..You have to keep coaxing it back and forth for about 20 minutes or so...After the machine warms up it works fine, and yes it will spin its wheels when going into the bank...We have been told by 2 or 3 different mechanics that it could be the a clogged strainer or a charging pump or a couple other things and I can't remember everything they said...We are going to have pressure test done on it somtime next week....Take care....

where is the charge pump located i am working on ours it just doesnt want to move anymore