• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission problem Champion D-740-A

tough60

Hi
I am having an issue with a transmission on a D-740-A .When you go to put it in gear sometimes it won't move .If you rev up the engine finally it wants to go . We checked the clutch pressure on it afterwards and it stays about 160 p.s.i. But when you shut it down same thing next day . We were thinking it might be hydraulic pump issue but we have never heard of a pump being so sporadic before .
One minute you have lots of pressure ,next none .It's like it has no flow from torque converter .all of a sudden .
Transmission is full . Did notice that when it starts doing this it pukes oil out the air breather of the torque converter .
The transmission is a 9150 with a Rockford torque converter.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before .

To start with,Champion graders do not have torque converters. The only graders with converters, are built by Komatsu. They (Champ) use an oil bath flywheel clutch,and a powershift transmission to provide direct drive. The transmission does provide oil to the clutch. The clutch housing, has a drain line that allows excess oil to drain back to the transmission housing. It is possible that the drain line is pinched,or otherwise deteriorated,and not allowing oil to drain properly from the clutch to the transmission. This would also cause it to push oil out of the clutch breather, as the clutch would over fill with oil. This could also cause the transmission to operate erratically, as the transmission housing would run low on oil when too much is retained in the clutch housing, thus partially starving the pump. Other possibilities, could be the pump suction screen partially plugged, or the pump worn, though neither would cause the clutch housing to over fill.
Good luck
DD

DB2

DieseldoctorDan with all due respect there were several old Champions that had a torque converter instead of a clutch. I'm sorry I don't have any insight into the original posters problem though.

I stand corrected. I also, have had access to parts books and service manuals for Champion graders, and have never seen a torque converter setup mentioned. Unless a machine could be fitted with a lock-up torque, it would not work very well for grading, as the ground speed would vary with the amount of load on the machine. I spent a few years operating 740 and 730 Champs, and all had flywheel clutches and powershift transmissions. We had one, that had a flap of rubber peel away on the inside of the drain hose from the clutch housing, that acted like the symptoms described. If this machine has a torque converter, a possibility could be excessive leakage of the internal seals.
On a side note, DB2, I see that you are located in Winnipeg. I live about 140 miles north of Winnipeg.
DD

20/80

Occupation
operator
What oil are you running in the tranny? I believe it has to be 10 weight, also check your voltage to make sure its where its suppose to be, also we had a issue with the linkage at the clutch oil slave valve being wore and wouldn't fully engage the clutch, check the simple fix first before tearing into it.

delio lorenzana

Hello Friends
It is provably to late by now?????
Sorry, yes we did have Rockford torque converter in a 740A Grader, with 9150 Transmission.
First, given us your machine S/N then we will take from there.
So, if your unit is in Winnipeg, not a problem we can help you there.
Delio

Saskfarm

Hello Friends
Sorry, yes we did have Rockford torque converter in a 740A Grader, with 9150 Transmission.
Delio
I have a 740 with the same problem. Where are you located?

Geordie

If you look at the Champion grader model line up the used Rockford and clark convertors . I had the honour of knowing delio lorenzana in Goderich . Champion had about 50 different engine and transmission combinations in their complete line of graders

delio lorenzana

Hello good friends.

Happy New Year for all….

This is Delio Lorenzana, someone referred to me in a later post with in regards to champion transmissions… Yes we did have a number of different power train combinations and yes we did have torque converters.

For Champion/Volvo Motor Graders, if you might require assistance in any case, please show the Grader S/N ….. to beginning with.

Then, we can help you better.

Thanks

speed

Hello Friends
Delio
wondering if you might have had a problem with the transmission oil filling engine crankcase. Have a 1998 720a vhp v with issue

DB2

Clutch housing not draining quickly enough? Not sure how else the two are connected. How much oil is transferring and at what rate?

speed

Clutch housing not draining quickly enough? Not sure how else the two are connected. How much oil is transferring and at what rate?
up to two gallons a day pulled motor replace rear main seal, is there a special rear seal for a wet clutch , and replaced all hoses connected to housing hope this will do the job also wondering the shaft into the pilot bearing at flywheel is threaded inside the end is there something like a plug be there

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2