• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer brake hook up help.

jca57jd

Ive got a 33000gvw international single axle dump truck with air. I have a 6 ton trailer and i just bought a 12 ton trailer and they both have electric brakes. A couple of months ago i took the truck and trailer to the trailr manufacture to wire the truck for air over electrick brake controller. I hav a tekonasha P3 break controler for it but it keeps reading WARNING CURRENT OVERLOAD NO TRAILER BREAKS. All the lights work properly on both trailers i just dont have trailer breaks? I got underr the truck and looked at the wireing and theres only 4 wires going back to the electrical trailer conection on the truck end. They have the black wire hooked to 12v power supply, white wire hooked to ground, blue going back to the hook up, and red going to a air controle pressure regulator behind the seat (these are all the wires comeing out of the break contoller). Any ideas of wear they went wrong or any advise would be greatly appriciated!

mudmaker

Does it do it on both trailers?

I did have a similar issue that ended up being a bad ground thru the hitch. Make sure your hitch isnt rusted up. Around here the mag chloride use in the winter makes bare metal rust quicker than normal and my pintle gets a coat of rust if it isnt used in a few days.

Last edited:

jca57jd

I havent tried it on my 12 ton yet cause i just got threw rewireing the plug from a 7way to a 6way pin last weekend.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
"current overload" sounds like a short to ground, maybe that controller is smart enough to protect itself. Best thing is to make a hot lead and test the pins one at a time and find out if you can apply the brakes. Start there and you can isolate it from the other 5 pins. Once you know your brakes are functional you can sort out the wiring. Good luck

mudmaker

That is a good point muffler. The reason I mentioned ground was my older drawtite says OL, which I have always assumed to mean Overload, when I have a bad ground.

BTW I like your avatar!!LOL!

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Thanks, I'm suddenly glad the company logo isn't showing! Electrical problems are so hard to diagnose without a test light in my hand.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I think that the P3 detects shorts vs. current overload and will read out "short". Could you have wired the brake wire pin to the breakaway battery pin on the trailer making it try to charge through the brake controller?

jca57jd

That is possible ill have to go look at how he has it wired again. I use this same brake controller in three different vehicles to pull the same trailers and My primary truck, this dump truck is the only dang one that decides to give me problems

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I have had similar grounding issues through the hitch and ended up rewiring all my grounds so that trailers are grounded directly through the trailer plugs. It has eliminated most of my electric brake issues.