• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track pin removel

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I still have a 20# sledge, still took heat to get master to move AT ALL on dry pin units. Will need MINIMUM 50 ton to get it moving and keep it moving, most shop mobile presses are 100T or Bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 57

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Whilst I appreciate the difficulty removal presents I would suggest that heating go the track link may be detrimental to the metal structure.
Kind regards
Uffex

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Never heated past Hot, no glow or serious color, just enough to get some swell to the bore.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I put 4-5 layers of 7018 on the side opposite the pin to “soften” it up

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hitting a hammer with a hammer isn't a problem at all. Danger comes when hitting something extremely hard with a hammer. Bucket and ripper teeth come to mind. Hammers have enough softness to mushroom a little on a hard blow.

ATCme

Hitting a hammer with a hammer isn't a problem at all. Danger comes when hitting something extremely hard with a hammer. Bucket and ripper teeth come to mind. Hammers have enough softness to mushroom a little on a hard blow.
I have a chunk of metal in my gut that says your wrong.

Bluox

So why do all new hammers come with a warning not to strike face with another hammer?
Bob

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Not all hammers have that statement. You will probably see that on new hammers. Look at it this way, what's the different between hitting a hammer on a hammer and hitting a chisel with a hammer? When I worked on the rail road for Weyerhaeuser we had a combination hammer with a chisel face on the opposite side and used it to cut the bolts off of tie plates. I would suggest if you have a hammer that will chip then you should buy better quality tools.

Jonas302

I do know that if you look at high end sledge hammers particularly ones for railroad work they have softer nonchipping faces and fully hardened ones

Batkom

I was always taught it’s not the faces that break off n fly, but the mushroomed stuff on the edges.
And it was beat into my brains as a kid to go grind the mushroomed parts off of both the splitting mall and the splitting wedge.
I have never seen a chunk come off a face, but have seen the mushroomed pieces fly off - and then the old mans reprimand ringing in your ears as you are headed to the grinder!

Bluox

Not all hammers have that statement. You will probably see that on new hammers. Look at it this way, what's the different between hitting a hammer on a hammer and hitting a chisel with a hammer? When I worked on the rail road for Weyerhaeuser we had a combination hammer with a chisel face on the opposite side and used it to cut the bolts off of tie plates. I would suggest if you have a hammer that will chip then you should buy better quality tools.
You know I've never seen a tie plate bolted onto a tie. But your combo tool is not a hammer it's a chisel with a handle, like a backout punch.
I've got more than one big American made hammer in my junk pile with chipped faces.
Bob

John C.

Occupation
By the tie plates I mean the plates used to join the rails together with. They are installed on each side of the rails and bolted through. I worked for Weyerhaeuser who bought all their hand tools at places like a Granger and Hardware Supply in those days. The tool was a hammer that looked almost like a short handled splitting maul. The difference was the cutting edge was straight and not curved. The issues was shown to be a myth and was broken on television for the world to see.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/m...-database/can-an-old-hammer-actually-explode/

Here is forum where other people talks about it and try to replicate it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/3171-shattering-hammers-on-mythbusters/

My take; hammers are designed to hit or be hit by other stuff. If you have a quality hammer, the idea that it would somehow explode or shatter just because it was used to strike something is absolutely ludicrous.