• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

track loader controls

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have a 943 with the twin lever setup. I've got rather big hands but when you're digging out of a bank, pulling back on the hoist and pushing the bucket forward to roll back, they do get kind of far apart. I just twist my hand with my thumb on the hoist and my pinky finger on the bucket. I've never ran a joystick track loader but I don't see myself ever wanting to. I can't grade with my dad's 580K since I bought my 943.

Does it have round knobs or straight. If I was going to have to operate one for a long time I'd switch them out. They are a lot better for me

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It has the round, sort of mushroom shaped knobs. They're only about 4'' apart in the hold position.

You should see if you can't locate some straight knobs. It sure made it easier on me. I can grab both real easy.

PhilDirt

Do you mean straight knobs like a throttle lever knob?

I have pretty big hands but to use the older twin levers I find it a lot easier to wear a work glove for traction on the knobs.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Do you mean straight knobs like a throttle lever knob?

I have pretty big hands but to use the older twin levers I find it a lot easier to wear a work glove for traction on the knobs.

Yes. Our 963 had them and it was great for holding pulling both handles back at the same time. I had to think about that for a minute as our new 963 has an electronic throttle.

JDOFMEMI

Well, I learned a bit from this thread. I can count my minutes on a track loader without running out of toes to add, but would love to find a reason to add one to my spread. I can see a lot of useful things to do with one. I have wondered about the reason for the controls being the way they are for a while now.

Despite my lack of experience on one, it seems the lever pattern would work much better while cleaning up with a 4 in 1 bucket. boom down, curl up, and clam close is all 3 forward, making life easier than the same task on a 3 lever wheel loader.

Dickjr.

In a farm setting it seems that a track loader would be the way to go for an all around machine. Only when large excavations you might want something else.