• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

track keeps getting loose

luc2121

i just bought a used hitachi ex60-2, the left(rubber) track got loose so i filled it with grease and 15-20 minutes later it had completely slacked off, no grease coming from the nipple area so i'm assuming it's leaking from the rod seal. how do i remove the cylinder ? do i remove the track and slide the front idler wheel out with the cylinder ?

thanks Luc

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi Luke2121, I see you've started a new thread. Take your track off the idler and slide the idler out to service the grease adjuster. Remove your grease fitting that you tension the track with and use your bucket to push the idler in to fully relax the adjuster and track for removal. And I would suggest, if you have one track seal blown requiring re-seal, I would consider going ahead and do the other track adjuster while your at it and have new seals on both tracks.

luc2121

i got the track off by putting a shovel between front idler and track and made the track rotate until shovel was at the 9 o'clock position and used a 2x4 to pry track off, took all of 5 minutes. slid idler out and removed cyl. The end cap bolts came off and cocked the cyl shaft sideways and bent end of shaft. looks like i'll be making a new shaft. the little bit that i did get to use it it seems like a nice strong machine for it's size. it has 6500 hrs but runs strong and is fairly tight

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The end cap bolts came off and cocked the cyl shaft sideways and bent end of shaft. looks like i'll be making a new shaft.

Darn the bad luck!

Let us know how the repairs go. Is there any way you can send some pics of the repairs? I'm sure there's some EX60 people out there that would like to see what this assembly looks like. Pics is always good...we like pics. :D

luc2121

i will take some pictures after and post them , i use to work at a hydraulic shop and have repaired plenty of these along with other cylinders so making a new shaft will be easy. i don't have much experiance working on the machines as a unit but the components themselves i have no problems. i just received the downloadable version of the service manual and i'm sure it will come in handy

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
i will take some pictures after and post them , i use to work at a hydraulic shop and have repaired plenty of these along with other cylinders so making a new shaft will be easy. i don't have much experiance working on the machines as a unit but the components themselves i have no problems. I just received the downloadable version of the service manual and i'm sure it will come in handy

Where did you locate the manual? best of luck with operating all of the components together but you are a long way there if you have an understanding of how they all work individually.....

bigbob

Did you check to see if the fitting is tight that you loosen to relieve the pressure?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
i just bought a used hitachi ex60-2, the left(rubber) track got loose so I filled it with grease and 15-20 minutes later it had completely slacked off, no grease coming from the nipple area so I'm assuming it's leaking from the rod seal. how do I remove the cylinder ? do I remove the track and slide the front idler wheel out with the cylinder ?

thanks Luc

Last edited:

luc2121

the manual was easy, i downloaded it from johndeeretechinfo.com i believe, it cost under $50.00 and was ready to download 5 minutes after paying. it is available to me for unlimited download for 72hrs so i can load it on both my computers. here are the pics of the spring absorber and the cylinder bore in it, and the cyl. rod with a nice bend to it. if you ever had one that scores the cyl badly you can save it by removing the seal on the piston and machining the o-ring groove in the gland(cap that threads/bolts on to end of cyl.) to accept a polypack seal. the grease fills the cyl. and forces the cyl shaft outwards and the polypack keeps the grease in the cyl.

Attachments

• cyl.jpg
    cyl.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • cyl1.jpg
    cyl1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,111

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, that's a pretty bent up rod. Seems like I've seen this on an EX60 I worked on once before. Looks like you have everything under control. ;)

luc2121

i made a new rod and installed it, how tight should the track(rubber) ? right now if i lift the track with the bucket i have about 3 inches between the track and center roller, service manual only talks about steell tracks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd say you have it about right. Rubber tracks shouldn't be too tight, they should have a little bounce in them.

jamesfpowers

Occupation
Farmer / B&B operator
Jim

Hi I have an ex60-1 and the tracks, when idlers are fully pumped/extended, are loose. A mechanic friend suggests that we weld some metal to the end of the idler. I dont know if this is the best path to take. why not remove a link?
Is it possible that the rod is bent?
Does your manual have a spec on how wide the frame should be where the idler wheel slides in?

special tool

Hi I have an ex60-1 and the tracks, when idlers are fully pumped/extended, are loose. A mechanic friend suggests that we weld some metal to the end of the idler. I dont know if this is the best path to take. why not remove a link?
Is it possible that the rod is bent?
Does your manual have a spec on how wide the frame should be where the idler wheel slides in?

Rod is bent??
Your bottom is worn out, bro - this is a classic telltale when you have no more idler travel and still loose chains.

jamesfpowers

Occupation
Farmer / B&B operator
jim

Hi I am living in Ireland, I married a local girl, and am originally from CT USA; I am accustom to being able to visit a manufacturers rep with a synopsis and then plan a solution. Here in IE the purchasing power of the small country does not warrant access to factory reps and the dealers are not paid to problem solve with with individuals.....(means pay to haul the machine half way across the country to locate an inline fuel filter such as luc2121, where this simple fix ended up costing 600 euro = ~ $800 & takes less than 5 minutes) (Yes Ireland is expensive, officially the most expensive country in europe)

I am new to excavators (have had the machine for 8 yrs and only actively operating it myself in the past 2 yrs) and have learned a few expensive lessons and have paid for expensive advise from some not so expert local experts.

What is required to address worn out bottom?
Will the operators/repair manual address such issues? Will it give tolerances?
Thanks for your valued advice

jamesfpowers

Occupation
Farmer / B&B operator
bent rod ?

a better description might be the piston ram that tensions the idler wheel