• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track Bolts

SubMech

Washers or no washers, that is the question.....
Hi all, new to the forum and wondering if anyone uses washers under the track bolt heads. Looking online they promote them along with the bolt and nut. My 215B does not currently have them in place.
Most cost effective seems to be out of New York. Input?
Should explain, floppy track pads ( 28 inch ) are getting new bolts anyway.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Never seen a track pad with a washer under the bolt head. I can't see that it would do any good other than putting more money in the supplier's pocket.

SubMech

John C, I have not seen washers used either. I am not exposed to a lot of different machines however so I thought I should throw it out there.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Never seen washers on track pad bolts, and would not recommend installing washers. Some track pad bolts will have a flange head.

If you are having issues of the bolts coming loose, I would recommend putting red lock tight on the bolts. Also make sure that the hardware you get matches the rail you get (there is different sizes of nuts)

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Never seen washers there either. The nuts do sometimes have a face that is meant to mate with the underside of the link. I've never tried loctite on trackbolts but I can't see why it wouldn't work. If the paint and rust/debris isn't removed from between the track shoe and rail prior to assembly though they usually will work themselves loose. Metal to metal contact. Its a royal pain to buff every link and shoe during rail replacement but its definitely worth the effort.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Its hard to keep the wide pads on, especially in rough terrain. Locktight helps, but isn't the final answer. The bolts get stretched from shock loads, then the pad comes loose. The locktight just helps keep the nut on, so hopefully someone will tighten/replace the bolts before the pad falls off.

SubMech

Really good points regarding the nut size vs the pocket in the link, I will retrieve an old one and check on sizes before buying.
Also good call on the wide tracks on the rocky rough stuff, just got the machine and the pads are likely going to need to be cut down. The 215 lived on the soil pile till now. All rocky from here on.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Metal to metal contact. Its a royal pain to buff every link and shoe during rail replacement but its definitely worth the effort.

We use paint stripper, then pressure wash it off. Just a quick buff after that. Way easier then trying to buff through that damn thick paint they put on new rails.

Also good call on the wide tracks on the rocky rough stuff, just got the machine and the pads are likely going to need to be cut down. The 215 lived on the soil pile till now. All rocky from here on.

Working in a gravel pit? If your doing lots of walking, cut the pads narrower. Not sure how narrow you will want to cut the pads. Probably you should check what pad widths are available, and pick one of those.

SubMech

Thanks for the input ( mostly from Alberta ) I will not be buying washers.
Also helps that the idea of cutting the tracks narrower was confirmed.
In the end I am trying to get the most hours possible from an undercarriage that is past its prime but still usable.