• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Towed graders .

Super Roel

A few weeks agowe had in The Netherlands a show with hist equipment , and there are a couple of towed graders , a Russian Caterpillar , a French Caterpillar ( Corpet-Louvet ) highway patrol no 4 , and a little C.D.Edwards from the USA . I post some pictures of them .001-BorderMaker.jpg005-BorderMaker.jpg

770G

We have a couple old tow behinds at one of our sheds sitting out on front lawn for the world to see. To be honest I'd love to have one here at home, just get someone to tow me with me tractor

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I have run a big Caterpillar towed grader behind a large 4x4 tractor and a D3. I have a friend that has one on s big formed steel wheels. We had about 50 feet of 1 1/4 cable. I would ease off into a ditch and clean them out. It worked great

CatGrader

Occupation
Grader Operator
See that picture --^-- up there were your grading the sand ? I know it's only for show but if thats the sand im thinking of a normal grader would bog down and make a mess so there you go so get your bolling balls out because that stuff won't support much more. :D

Super Roel

O&K0004-BorderMaker.jpgHello CatGrader ,
In our country it is normal to work in to the sand , but we have bigger wheels and les pressure in it , and we keep it wet and than it wil work .

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
Just a thought. Does anyone still make towed graders? I know there's three point linkage but they are a bit limited in what they can do. Just thought a small towed grader could be handy bit of equipment on a farm or block of dirt or anywhere. No motor to deteriorate when it's not being used.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business

Super Roel

Caterpillar tow grader.jpgHello Taylortractornu ,

In the museum The New Land in the Netherlands there is a Caterpillar towed grader that is be using by making new land out of water , with a blade extension .

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Who said you can't have fun when You get old?

Super Roel
Thanks for sharing these great pictures, always enjoy your postings. I’ve always been fascinated by the way our grand parents use to get things done. The second picture looks like a couple of grown kids having a good time in the sandbox!
Regards, Randy

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
GEDC0230.jpgHere is an Adams I own.

It has the front wheels as well , removed to tow behind tractor with
drawbar.

Attachments

• GEDC0114.jpg
    GEDC0114.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
In an earlier thread about towed graders, I mentioned that Adams County in WA had some in use about 2002, (when I saw them last.) They were towed behind an F350 with some weight for traction, they were on rubber and moved along right smartly. I asked why the tow behind, and was told they were cheaper and faster than a normal grader when it came to profiling ditches and shoulders. When moving from site to site, they moved about 60 mph. Two people, a truck and tow behind grader could (according them) do about 4 times the work that a normal grader could do.

Graderfan1981

But a towed grader is not good for hard surface, a real motorgrader have more power to put the blade on the ground, because the weight is lots of higher.
For grading gravel a towed grader maybe is better because he can do that faster, but only for small roads, because most of them have not so a long blade like a motorgrader....

Last edited: