• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque Wrench

Old Doug

Is there in were in Mo to get a torque wrench recalibrated? I wish i could drive to the place i fill funny about sending a $900.00 tool in the mail to some one i dont know.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
The Snap-on trucks in our area all have a simple "tester" to show if it needs calibration right on the truck.

Wes J

Our Snap-On guy has to send them out, but they will test any brand of wrench. Never had an issue with shipping mine except it gets pretty spendy shipping the 3/4 drive.

BB64

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Use Google to find your local metrology lab; I use www.foxvalleymetrology.com (corporate office is just up the road, but they have an office in Fenton, MO) for all sorts of things at work, including tiny preset torque drivers.

Good luck!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
My cat branded 3/4 torque wrench has been in for calibration recently by snap on...
I'm picking it up Saturday.
I'll post what it costs.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Our Snap-On guy has to send them out, but they will test any brand of wrench. Never had an issue with shipping mine except it gets pretty spendy shipping the 3/4 drive.
The post office has what they call a "regional box" that they won't tell you about unless you ask but if they have one that you can use you can save a lot of money.Ron G

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I asked the shop foreman once about calibrations. He said we could use the company shuttle and send it to a larger store and we would get billed for the parts needed. This is the shuttle that loses a d8 fan once a week. Never did get mine calibrated.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I asked the shop foreman once about calibrations. He said we could use the company shuttle and send it to a larger store and we would get billed for the parts needed. This is the shuttle that loses a d8 fan once a week. Never did get mine calibrated.

Well was the fan bolted to the D8?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Another hint that maybe you should think about calibrating your torque wrench, or examining somebody's head:beatsme

But it was coffee break time and I thought you were going to tighten those bolts later! What's that rattle? Don't worry it's nothing to worry about!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Where I went to school they had weight based torque wrench testers bolted to the wall across from the tool counter. These are as standard as you need to be. They won't get out of calibration since it is a weight on a lever.

When you used a torque wrench they said set the torque you need by the tester don't bother with the numbers on the dial. That way there are no issues with calibration.

Truck Shop

Is there in were in Mo to get a torque wrench recalibrated? I wish i could drive to the place i fill funny about sending a $900.00 tool in the mail to some one i dont know.

Little far from you but this is where I send my torque wrench's.

Gauge Repair Service
365 VanNess Way suite507
Torrance, Calif. 90501
PH 310-212-0912

A friend sent an SK to them to calibrate some how it got lost or misplaced. They had a 600 LB Bluepoint that someone dropped off for repair two years before.
They asked if he would accept it instead of his SK. In a heartbeat it was a yes. They could have just said tough luck but didn't.

Truck Shop

ETER

I understand that for many repair shops "certificates" of calibration for measuring tools must be maintained...especially for government work...not sure if that is the case here or not? This is not probably "authorized" for many shops (in my shop it is:usa), but every now and then (usually after a t-wrench has been shock-loaded buy the shop floor!) I will test two or three t-wrenches against each other on the same fastener and check for any difference. For the most part, they always seem to "click" or "dial-up" to within a few percent of each other.
Regards, Bob

Old Doug

Thats something i have been thinking about doing. I dont want to borrow one to use on a paying job but i could go to a buddys shop and try his aginst mine to get by for now.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
My cat branded 3/4 torque wrench has been in for calibration recently by snap on...
I'm picking it up Saturday.
I'll post what it costs.

215cad, no work order detailing exactly what was done but the internals look new, and I have two nice stickers... All very official!