• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torn bettween a old A model Kenworth or Ford 9000

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Having a heck of a time finding a A model Kenworth

I'am looking for a 80-82 W-900A model Kenworth dump truck there used to be lots of them around but they seem to be all gone or not many forsale.

I plan on putting a truck on the road this year sure the old A models are old but they are a tough old truck. They don't turn well either when you run 465/65R22.5 floats on the front.

A truck with 400 Cummins power 13spd 18,000lb front and SHHD (44,000lbs) rears on spring suspension would suit my needs.

I thought about going with a 9000 Ford I have worked on them and drove them good trucks but they are not as heavy as a old K-Wobbler. The Fords are a little harder to work on as half the engine is in the cab and the Ford parts themselves are a little hard to get. Also the old Fords are prone to RUST alot of them here have the orange cancer in the cab.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I'am going to buy a tandem axle dump I'am going to try get my foot in the excavation market.

Anyhow I'am looking for a dump I like old Kenworths I found a 78 W-900A model its 3406a Cat power spring suspension 15spd 18-44 axles 16'6" box. I know they are a tough old truck. The biggest problem with the old Kenworths is they don't turn sharp when you have supersingle steers. The old Kenworths usually have a wheelbase of 230-234 inches and with the long hood on them.

My gut instinct keeps telling my I should stick with a 9000 Ford or maybe go with a Western Star. The Fords with a 222wb go anywhere but the big drawback of them is working on the engine. Also the Fords are not built as heavy as a old Kenworth.

I have driven 9000 Fords allot and I know what kind of turning radius they have and where they can go. I never driven a old A model Kenworth but I have been told they don't steer very sharp. One of the other contractors has a A model the truck doesn't turn sharp at all I watch him trying to back into a spot and it took allot of corrections to make it go.

I don't know maybe I should stick with my gut instinct and stick with a truck that I know will work for the tight conditons we have to get the trucks into. The other contractors are running Western Stars they seem to work I don't like the older western stars the cabs are too cramped.

What do you think ?

jmac

I think that for a guy that knows the business as well as you do should give it a try for yourself. Good luck! I often wonder why people that have been doing this line of work their whole life don't venture out on their own. I realize it takes allot of money, believe me I know, but you only live once, life is short. If a guy like me that knew nothing a very short time ago can do it and make a living at it, you can. As far as trucks go I have a Mack as you already know. So no help on that one, but will be glad to add encouragement for starting your own business, IT IS THE AMERICAN WHY, oh forgot your Canadian, should be "ok" anyways.

don't know maybe I should stick with my gut instinct and stick with a truck that I know will work for the tight conditons we have to get the trucks into. The other contractors are running Western Stars they seem to work I don't like the older western stars the cabs are too cramped.

I do like going with my gut, it works most of the time.

Last edited:

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
You are right, those old Kenworths take a Walmart parking lot to turn around. In my search for a tandem dump, turning radius is important because I often get into areas where I have no room to turn around. Just the other day, I had to disconnect my equipment trailer and turn it around with the tractor and then hook back up - and I barely had enough room with my single axle dump. I would still be at that job trying to figure out how to get out if I had an old Kenworth. Like you, I do like those trucks tho.
The other thing with the older ones is that they don't have air to air coolers and usually their mileage sucks compared to ones manufactured after about 1990. With the price of diesel these days, it can make a difference.
Good luck in your search. I have been looking for almost 5 months now. It took me 7 months to find the single axle I have now and it was worth the hunt. It has been a great truck. I want to find a tandem just as good.

Jeff D.

LT, while my truck was in the shop recently I had the chance to look over a L or LN 9000 (had set back steer) Ford dumptruck parked in the next bay.

Although I can't comment on driving one, I was really impressed with how beefy it seemed put together. It looked like it was made to take a pounding.

It had a 3406 in it, and the engine and fan were mounted crooked just to fit under the hood, but everything else looked straightforward.

I could easily see the difference between a road truck, and that heavier spec'd dump truck.

And it had the well laid out Ford cab similair too my old L8000 too.:thumbsup

I think I'd lean towards the Ford maybe.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've never driven a Kenworth, so I can't comment on them.

I have however driven the L-9000s for over 20 years and I loved those trucks. The way the dash is set up was real comfortable to look at, and the visibility through the huge windshield is great! Turning radius is tighter than any other truck I've driven.

These trucks were pretty reliable too, though I hauled freight. The mechanics didn't care for them though because of the difficulty in making repairs. The back of the motor is under the doghouse in the cab, and the dash was tight quarters.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would pick the one that does the job the best. I have driven both and find the KW would be a great over the road or long haul truck but on a construction the ford is easer to handle.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I have worked on lots of old 9000 Fords yes I have created a few new ways to swear but the Internationals were worse.

I think I will stick with my gut instinct I know Fords work good in this area they do ride a little rougher than others because they are shorter distance between the back of the cab to front axle. I'am not doing long hauls we don't have long stretches of freeways. Good turning and manueverabity makes or breaks it on some jobs.

I would really like to find a 9000 with Big Cam Cummins or a 425 Cat a truck with L-10 or M-11 power isn't high on my list but if the truck is in good shape I would consider it.

The old A model KWs are a classic truck but they are a little old the cabs are pretty spartan. As I meantioned I haven't driven a old A model but worked on sites where contractors in the area that had A model trucks. You watch them try turn into a site the driver has the wheel cranked over to the left and its barely making the turn.

For the truck don't want to spend more than 25,000 I want to get the truck paid for quickly then start looking at a excavator fullsize or a mini.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I just saw a 76 Kenworth W900 for sale in the Truckpaper that is a real sharp looking truck. It had Cummins 400hp with 13 speed and all the goodies. The only problem was it only had 12K front and 40K rears. Price was right at $13,500. 700K miles. It is a good looking truck, but you can't let that sway you if it won't do all you need.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I have a buddy who has a '78 W900A but it's a short nose and it turns fairly sharp. He did make mention to me that he didn't like the long nose versions, maybe because of the turning radius. I had the opportunity to drive that truck a little on a site and I didn't think the turning radius was too bad. I also drove a L9000 water truck earlier this spring when we were doing our huge orchard burning job, those trucks do turn very sharp. It's a hard choice to make, the Kenworths are solid, but the Fords do turn sharp.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I know where I can get a 78 A model its been at the dealer for awhile I think the truck is a little old for the guys in Vancouver. The truck is a good price it has Cat power which I'am a little leary about being its a 3406a. I would rather have 400 Cummins power. The truck has the heavy specs so its a good truck.

For a W-900A to run a 16'6" dump box it needs a wheelbase of 230-236 inch wheelbase where as a L9000 only needs a 222 inche wheel base. When you run 425/65R22.5 supersingles on a Kenworth for steers it really limits the turning radius the way Kenworths steering box is set up. With a Ford running the same size steer tires it doesn't affect the turning radius much as I have driven both a 9000 with regular steers which isn't legal and a Ford with SS.

I can go places with a 9000 Ford the W-900s can't go or can but have real difficulties. The good turning radius of the Ford is good in its easy to get into places but has a drawback is you are able to get into places you shouldn't go.

The benefit of the Kenworth is they ride a little smoother they are easier to work on because the whole engine is infront of the firewall unlike the Ford its half under the cab. The benefit of the old Ford is you do have good visability with the snub nose hood you can see your fenders pretty good.

If I do go with a Ford I need to find one with a 18,000lb front axle because we need a truck with a heavy front axle to be legal. Most Fords have 14,500 front axle the 12,000lb front axles are too light.

Its something I have been thinking about the old KW is a tough truck if the Kenworth is still at the dealer when my next day off which is nov 10th I'am going to look at it. I know the turning radius isn't that good and I'am going to loose the manueverability I'am used to with the Fords.

I have to weigh the pros and cons which is

Pros Ford- Good turning radius,good visablity,more comfortable cab.
Cons Ford- Harder repairs on the engine, Orange Cancer the cabs suffer from rust. Also getting factory Ford parts is getting rare like light switches etc.

Pros KW- Easier to work on all the parts in the cab are easiliy replaced. The truck is a little heavier constructed.
Cons KW- As meantioned Turning radius,cabs are pretty spartan.

I asked the dealer if he had any leads on 9000 Fords didn't have any he knew of they are a Ford Commercial truck dealer that sells Sterlings now but have been selling Ford trucks for years.

Last edited:

nedly05

Of the trucks that you have looked at which one will work the best for the application that you tend to use it for? I have a neighbor with a Kenworth W900 and he could not make a swing on to a bridge pulling his tag-a-long, and month before I had watched a tractor trailer make that swing, so I guess that the Kenworth does not have too much of a turn radius! If you are looking at a couple of trucks and 1 seems to be more what your looking for go with that one. I have been keeping my eye on a couple of L-9000 single axles that are converted road tractors with a 10 spd and 330HP M-11 cummins, If the season werent almost done I would buy one, they are nicely built,and speced. Iguess I will just have to wait till spring! Good Luck Ford, I know you'll buy the better truck :thumbsup (PS) do you work all winter up there?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
You're right, a lot of the L9000's are spec'd with light front axles. The water truck I drove was only tagged for 55K. It didn't have a supersteer, so I imagine it was probably 14K axle. Definately couldn't handle much if it was a dump truck but as a water truck it was perfect.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
We work all year round we really don't have a cold winter where we snow 4 months of the year. In Decemeber and January we may have couple weeks of snow but mainly its cold with the frost but nothing that would stop work.

The decision between the two is going through my head I can live with the harder to work on truck which is the Ford. Usually you don't work on a truck every day especially the engine. Trying to deal with a truck that can't frigging turn everyday can be frustrating especially so when your used to a Ford that steers on a dime.

One of my friends worked for one of the contractors that had a old A model pretty much exact same truck I'am looking at. He said when driving the old Kenworth you had to pre plan before you made turns. Say turning off of a side road onto the highway. He said some times you had to go so far into the turn and back up to readjust to make a turn. A 9000 Ford you don't have to do that.

Most Ford 9000s in this are do come with a 16,000lb front axle you can boost that up by mounting super singles on the front. You really can't mount supersingles on a 12,000lb rated axle it doesn't work too well.

I know the Kenworth 900 at the dealer will probably be there awhile its going to take a certain person to buy it. It doesn't hurt to go look at it but I will probably pass on it. If the truck had 400 Cummins power with a 13spd I would be more interested. Truck has a 15spd I really don't want a 15spd I don't need the deep reduction also a 10spd is a pain to shift. I learned on 13spds I like driving trucks with them because they are easy to shift as its a standard H pattern.

jmac

Ford, after you get the truck what size and make excavator are you going to look for? You better say a 150 :yup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Why would I buy a 150 sized machine its the worst size of machine made :roll

Actually a machine wouldn't be a right away buy untill I see how well the market is. If the market can support another excavator in the area then I will go for it.

I was flipping through the equipment book I buy and the dealer has the Kenworth I want to look at up for offers now. I can't get any time off of work to go look at it :Banghead

We will see if its sold by the 10th of November if not then I will go look. If it is no biggy I know where I can find a 82 900 it has Cummins power 15spd but it looks like it needs a little more work. I also have to go to Nanaimo to look at it.

I have been searching for a Ford 9000 when I wasn't looking for one there was lots forsale now that I'am looking there isn't any forsale :crying

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I'am taking my own advice I'am not rushing into things. The old Kenworth isn't completley what I want I don't really like the older Cat power and the 15spd.

jmac

Actually a machine wouldn't be a right away buy untill I see how well the market is. If the market can support another excavator in the area then I will go for it.

IMO and from what you guys have been saying about the Canadian building boom that you would have room. I also think that between the two; trucking and excavating that excavating will be bigger money maker for you and the trucking is just a extra when you not digging. I also realized that when I was just testing the waters I never really got any big jobs. When I made the leap 100% and went after the bigger work the work came. After I did my first larger project (that I had to rent larger equipment for) then I was able to justify the money for that same equipment I rented. Once I owned the equipment and could say "hey I did this project last summer" to a new customer the work followed. And so on and so on, I use my last biggest project as a stepping stone to the next.