• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Topcon vs. Trimble

Hey guys,

I was just curious if I could get some feedback or thoughts on TopCon and Trimble. Our company is looking to putting it on some of our machines and I was just curious to hear about your thoughts/experiences. Also, which machine is it the most crucial to have it on for final grading? Thoughts?

Plays safe

Last edited:

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Hey guys,

I was just curious if I could get some feedback or thoughts on TopCon and Trimble. Our company is looking to putting it on some of our machines and I was just curious to hear about your thoughts/experiences. Also, which machine is it the most crucial to have it on for final grading? Thoughts?

Plays safe

Have never used Trimble but done a bit with top con on dozer , excavator , compactor and grader, found it very user friendly and easy to learn. Had a Topcon system 5 on a grader and was good for final trimming, sonic tracker could read of the kerb or a stringline or an existing surface, saves a lot of grade checking time. I have talked to people that have used Trimble and they say its not as user friendly as Topcon and they preferred top con.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Never had anything to do with them, still do my fine grading the eye, ass, and string way. I have heard that if you do a lot of large projects, they pay for themselves in no time. Some operators tell me that it is really hard to sit back, and let the machine do the work without touching the controls yourself. Our surveyors prefer the Top con because of ease of use. 50 grand for a base, and nerd stick, can't imagine how much for a machine unit.

schuiver

why has everyone the receiver as high, we have the receiver at this altitude.
Works good.

Attachments

• SDC14643.jpg
    SDC14643.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 172
  • SDC14290.jpg
    SDC14290.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 167

shaggy650

If you are going to add the millimeter system to your topcon you will need the mast high. The millimeter system adds a laser transmitter to help accuracy. If the mast is short the cab may block the laser at times.