• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Topcon pipe laser

JoeDig

New here,

A debate on site has led me here. We are running 30" ADS drainage. We are using a pipe laser but one super on the site is convinced that it is wrong to use 12" legs with target set to "12"". He says we should be setting target to beam at pipe laser regardless of what the target height ends up. Basically, telling me to set laser into pipe set for slope, place target right up close to laser and set target so its reading bullseye. I do understand his reasoning but I'm curious if anyone out there has ever had this discussion, or if anyone knows actual procedure to set up in a 30" pipe with 12" legs.

Thanks I look forward to some enlightening.

skyking1

I would not, myself. I use a target with a level bubble so you get it in the bottom of the pipe. I set the laser in the first stick on it's feet, go to the other end with the remote and dial it into whereever I left off the day before and keep going. The target is set to the height of the laser. Low as possible.
That way when you are bedding, the back of your shovel works perfectly to grade the bedding. The beam hits it at the right spot. You can even put a piece of duct tape so it is easy to see.
The 30" double wall is probably 3"~4" thick?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums JoeD! Glad to have you.

We do the same as Skyking when we use the pipe laser. Over the years we can lay drainage pipe - HDPE or RCP, just as efficiently with slope laser on a tripod. One of the guys made a metal jib that slips in the end of RCP with an adjustment screw for the different pipe thicknesses. Basically the jib extends the flow line of the pipe so all the ditch man has to do is plumb the grade rod to check grade. Works pretty good.

henry.45

A debate on site has led me here. We are running 30" ADS drainage. We are using a pipe laser but one super on the site is convinced that it is wrong to use 12" legs with target set to "12"". He says we should be setting target to beam at pipe laser regardless of what the target height ends up. Basically, telling me to set laser into pipe set for slope, place target right up close to laser and set target so its reading bullseye. I do understand his reasoning but I'm curious if anyone out there has ever had this discussion, or if anyone knows actual procedure to set up in a 30" pipe with 12" legs.
Well, It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific pipe laser. Generally, the target height should match the pipe diameter. However, some lasers allow for adjustments.