• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Title for Heavy Equipment?

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
As some of you may have read, I am in the market for a piece of equipment. Although I am quite familiar with the operation of the stuff, I have never had to deal with the purchase and licensing. In NYS I see plates on all types of machines and for sure we drove many a backhoe from job to job in my day of doing that sort of thing.

I am looking at two different machines at this point. What kind of proof of ownership should I expect to seen from a private owner in NY, if any?

Thanks,

Don

nedly05

We've never had a title, but when you go to register with DMV you need a "certificate of origin" that you get from the dealer. That and an insurance card and you can get a "special commercial" plate. It costs $11 for a year. Any time we've bought or sold from an independent seller we always give/get a bill of sale signed by both parties.

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
Thanks for the information, I assume the bill of sale will serve as the certificate. I do plan on having insurance and to license the machine due to working out in the road at times for my land clearing.