• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tires vs tracks

Farmtruck

Wanting to purchase skid steer. Will primarily be used on my property. Wanted to know if tracks are better than tires. If so why. Thanks

Delmer

Yes on soft ground, no on snow. What do you intend to do with it?

Hysert

Yes knowing what you intend to do with it would be good?

But my vote is tracks! Better in mud, less rutting, more stable, less bouncing around! Draw backs are tearing up more ground when turning (not much more) undercarriage wears out!

Jonas302

For homestead use I vote tires all the way with the possibility of steel over tire tracks unless there is a driving need for working in soft ground and extreme slopes
Tires and tire machines are much cheaper, cheaper to operate, more nimble dont have to worry about cleaning tracks or freezing up, depending on the track undercarriage tires are much less jarring to the back

Tracks go though the soft stuff much better I prefer to avoid the soft stuff rather than cleaning from the tracks later
Tracks fall off I don't like putting tracks back on I would rather change a flat tire
Tracks will usually push more and climb a steeper grade

The job at hand dictates which machine to use

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
One other thing to consider as I have if I were to have to replace my skid; tear a track belt and you get to replace a whole track ($$$), cut a tire and its just A tire. Seeing all those extra parts turning on the undercarriage scares me away also. I would go with tracks over tires on another machine.

CatToy

I have both but as others have stated, really depends on what you are using to do. I find myself using the track machine if I need dozer like characteristics and the wheeled one for running around moving stuff quickly on good ground/hard surfaces. Never thrown a track or had a flat tire (foam filled) so I cannot attest to how hard to replace either would be.

Bottom line, I use the wheeled one the most but if I could only have one machine it would be tracked, it can do all the wheeled one can and some work the wheeled cannot. It just costs more to buy and for the average homeowners use, I do not think you will burning up hours/tracks very often so I think upkeep would not be a major difference.

Hysert

Have you considered a TLB? When I started I'm biz 15 yrs ago I bought a kubota L39 TLB... I just sold it last yr for the big brother M59!! It doesn't tear up grass, it has a hoe and 3 point hitch with pto for all kinds of other uses.. the hoe removes in 5 mins and the loader has a skidsteer coupler so any attachment fits!! For a homeowner this would be my ultimate choice!! Kubota is the way to go they have a B26,L47 and M62 now... the L39 L45 have been discontinued but I'm sure you can find a nice used one!!!

Hysert

This was my L39.. payed 45k for it put 2000hrs on it and sold it for 27k.. not one machanical issue in 14 yrs... and hands down the most versatile machine I've ever owned

Attachments

• 2017-03-11 08.21.48.jpg
    2017-03-11 08.21.48.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2017-03-11 08.20.52.jpg
    2017-03-11 08.20.52.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 47

CatToy

This was my L39 and hands down the most versatile machine I've ever owned

I have a L45 TLB and it would be a good compromise to a skid steer for the OP if he is using it for what a typical landowner would need and you have a backhoe to play with (added bonus, it can be used as a tractor if needed). I still bought a skid steer.

Farmtruck

Well guys I was finally able to land a nice tire machine. 2001 cat 236 with 300 one owner hours. Machine was used around his property. It is in excellent condition. Ready to do some jobs around the house now. Thanks for all the repleys.

Farmtruck

Now trying to figure out what to do to upgrade the lighting. Wanna do something along the lines of LED. Ideas?

Wastepro

Occupation
Recycling
Now trying to figure out what to do to upgrade the lighting. Wanna do something along the lines of LED. Ideas?

Loader looks brand new, hope it does you good. We have used several of the LED work lights from tractor supply. They are mounted on our route trucks for working early in the morning. They are in the weather and road grime all the time and have worked well for a year so far without issue.

Welder Dave

Just make sure you keep it greased. Know a guy that never greased his new machine and the bucket pins and bushing were beyond worn out at less than 500 hours, lift cylinder pins seized and he had to drill out the retaining bolt holes and put bigger bolts in to free them up. Oddly he ran an auto repair shop and did really good work. He also raised chickens and that's what the skid steer was for but he never seemed to do much maintainence on his own machines other than changing oil. Took really good care of customers vehicles though and had good mechanics.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Be aware that those vintage of machines have a nasty habit of losing engines and they are expensive.

strykerakamack

Nice machine , I had same question , ended up with case sr160 . I put on a set of rubber camso OTT
Best thing I did . I use just around property also , world of difference on how much less it tears up the landscape