• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tips for job interview?

JGibson

Hey guys. Tomorrow I am going in for a job interview for a local excavating business. I have always worked for the family but now that work is slowing down here I have decided to look at other options. Since I have always worked for the family business I haven't needed to do a job interview. Do you guys have any tips? Thank you very much, John Gibson

eric12

Make sure to look professional and that you care, don't show up filthy with torn junk clothes even though its a construction company. Show up early and turn your phone off, not on silent or vibrate. look up the company and find out as much as you can so you know what they do and have a few good questions about opportunities for training, retirement, benefits or other things that interest you. And if you can mention how safety is important to you or throw something about being safe in the conversation thats important to many companies. If you have any certificates, a CDL, CPR or first aid. Mention how you have those or relevant training. Answer any questions they have honestly, if you have never ran a certain machine or never worked on a sewer job before don't say you have if youve only done it once or its been a long time. Those small lies will be evident pretty fast when your asked to do something or they ask you a more in depth question about it.

Hope that helps a little for a last minute suggestion

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
Make sure to look professional and that you care, don't show up filthy with torn junk clothes even though its a construction company. Show up early and turn your phone off, not on silent or vibrate. look up the company and find out as much as you can so you know what they do and have a few good questions about opportunities for training, retirement, benefits or other things that interest you. And if you can mention how safety is important to you or throw something about being safe in the conversation thats important to many companies. If you have any certificates, a CDL, CPR or first aid. Mention how you have those or relevant training. Answer any questions they have honestly, if you have never ran a certain machine or never worked on a sewer job before don't say you have if youve only done it once or its been a long time. Those small lies will be evident pretty fast when your asked to do something or they ask you a more in depth question about it.

Hope that helps a little for a last minute suggestion

Agree with everything Eric said just want to point out one more. Relax don't be nervous when you are nervous that is when a lot of people make mistakes. I almost always get a offer for the job I don't want

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One thing not to do is what a guy who tried getting a job where I work did. Seems he had been injured on a construction job about a year ago, not sure of the circumstances, but he got a good settlement after suing the company. That may have been fair and all, but he took the boss who was interviewing him out to show him the nice new pick-up truck he got from suing the last company he worked for, don't think that was a good move. Oh and NO he did not get the job but they did hire three other guys. This guy also would have been a third generation worker as his grandpa worked for the company for about 40 years, his father and even uncle both still do.

Can't say much to add to Eric12's advice as last interview I had was 40 some years back and what is allowed to be asked has changed a lot over the years. Heck I was told outright that I would have to cut my hair if I was to be hired, don't think they could tell you that today! Relax and be honest and you should do just fine.

JGibson

Thanks guys for the advice. I kinda got the job and will talk to him more in june, and if everything goes well will start in june. Starting part time and will hopefully do full time. Thanks, John Gibson

dayexco

leave the piercings at home, if you've got a lot of tats, try and cover as many as them up with the clothes you choose.

Dualie

dont show up in a suit and tie to a job that requires you to get dirt. Show up ready to work

dayexco

he never mentioned that he was 16.

and i don't see anywhere in my reply that i said he was sixteen. you're telling me only 16 year olds have piercings and tattoos? he asked for tips on going in for a job interview. having signed the front side of paychecks, and talking with other prospective employers for over 30 years i feel gives me a little insight on what may be considered a turn-off during an interview. he can do whatever he wants, i really don't care. i just gave him my and in conversations with other employers...opinion.

dayexco

as a side note. ever hear of Smith Equipment cutting/welding torches? they're manufactured here, my wife is the H.R. director for Smith (they are now flagged Miller torches), and she agrees with my opinion.