• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Timber Cutter Magazine

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I remember Finley Hays published this in the 70's & 80's.
Anybody else remember it?
Anyone have any copies still?

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I had them all until about 10 years ago when I needed the space. It would be interesting to see where people are today 40+ years later. I still have his CZ 100 year book and most of the other books he published, there were some quite literate writers in those days. Right now Lies Logs and Loggers is sitting on my desk. Not a first edition, (darn) but a fifth edition.

Got me going now, how about Contract Logger 1972, or Way of the Logger by Paul Reppeto. I also have the novel Loggers Life Love and Laughter by Art Mackey which is supposed to be Art's autobiography. Both published by Findley. I believe Findley's last book was Saginaw Timber Company which I also have.

Sorry, you dropped the nickel.....

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Jumbo,
That is a shame about needing the space but I understand as I lost all my pre-2010 publications & books (many signed to me in the 70s & 80s) to a vengeful ex.

I still have a few books though such as "This was Logging" and "The Enterprising Mister Murray".

Crummy

....a vengeful ex.
I had one of those. Every picture & thing I'd saved from when I was a pup running around in the woods early 80's till 2005 ashes.

Probably not the magazine you are talking about, but I'd sit on the stool waiting for a hose to be made up & read the logging magazines they had out on the counter at WOFSCO in Tacoma. That place was (is?) a museum of logging history. All the toys/models on the wall were just plain cool.

excavator

A number of years ago they combined the Log Trucker and Loggers World magazines into one and they still reprint a Finley Hayes article every month.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Yes they did.
I was just thinking of the "good ol days" and remembered that magazine which made me curious if anyone else remembered it also.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
The first was Loggers World,(1964) then Timber Cutter, (about 1970) then Christian Logger and finally Log Trucker. At one point all four were being published at the same time. Loggers World and Timber Cutter merged, then Christian Logger folded, and finally as noted, Loggers World and Log Trucker combined. I believe the current version was done after Findley Hays sold the publication.

BTW Hallback; I also have Finley's book "Riggin Shack" with his commentaries for the first dozen or so years. And, Logger's World the First 10 Years. Both were put out after Loggers World was sold and Finley and Jean started Riggin Shack which was a mail order book store catering to the tame apes of the woods.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I remember having a short, but very pleasant conversation with Finley in 1974 at a small logging show in Vader. He was an interesting fellow.

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
I had them all until about 10 years ago when I needed the space. It would be interesting to see where people are today 40+ years later. I still have his CZ 100 year book and most of the other books he published, there were some quite literate writers in those days. Right now Lies Logs and Loggers is sitting on my desk. Not a first edition, (darn) but a fifth edition.

Got me going now, how about Contract Logger 1972, or Way of the Logger by Paul Reppeto. I also have the novel Loggers Life Love and Laughter by Art Mackey which is supposed to be Art's autobiography. Both published by Findley. I believe Findley's last book was Saginaw Timber Company which I also have.

Sorry, you dropped the nickel.....
I keep looking for Contract logger 1972 ! maybe someday !

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would be interested in that. Did it have something to do with helicopters? I did a couple of jobs up there for them when they were at Eight Fathom Byte out of Juneau.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
It is a video of the complete operation from the bunk houses to the tower sides to the Feller bunchers to the helicopters and the Mills. It was a pretty neat video. Sadly I no longer have a copy but I'm sure someone has one that we could find.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think I saw it one time but can't recall where I saw it.