• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TimbCo man hours on motor swap

RJM74

Hello. In the process of swapping an 8.3 motor in a 425 TimbCo, on site on top of a mountain. Can anybody put me in the ballpark of how many man hours this should take?
Thank you much.

Plebeian

On top of a mountain - is that in cutover away from the road or a yarder etc landing that a service truck can access?
In a workshop in town, engine swaps can take a day and then some if something is missing or incorrect etc, doing additional upgrades, fixes before a startup, depends on mechanics, equipment too.

RJM74

Yeah. The motor is out, but it took 2 days with all the pissing around getting their service truck unstuck AND the fact it's the first one I've ever done. I was just curious as to the average time as it seems as though it took too long.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
In conditions like that I’d say you did pretty good. If it’s a machine I’m familiar with I can do it within a day, assuming it’s not tier 4 final with all the extra garbage.

RJM74

Great! Thank you. I'm not sure what tier 4 means, but it has the tri pump and double ended input shaft at flex plate.
Thank you both much.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Their 4 is the newest Dan fanged electronic fuel injection system.
You are one lucky fella in not knowing what that crap is.

Last edited:

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Takes a lot less time than it does to buy a new machine and get it up there and get it running