• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tight spot concrete demo

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
A few pics with the expandable track model: a Kubota U17 doing concrete breaking with a Arrowhead breaker. Yes: the nitrogen pressure is checked and the pins are greased often and have the tools to make pin and bushing changes with less agony than waiting till ugly - thus these wear parts get replaced long before the arm steel is obliged to move etc.

Indented portion is about the job: Concrete walk was placed in late summer 2022 but unfortunately the simple easy job didnt have very much time taken by either the owner/manager &/or the lead person of the concrete company to check FF of the building slab and think/evaluate the limitations & conditions with a sketch and some good notes.....until: rain came and water entered the apartment at the wall sill plate.
How'd that happen - wasnt obvious, but the walk was inadvertently placed above the FF by about three inches against the building....the expansion joint "tween area" filled with water and as it rose up, it went under the building wrap and was inside in the new carpet etc....attempts to seal the concrete to the stucco wall failed and the quick solution was to sawcut a strip next to the building and to daylight a new flowline low point. [That is the slot next to the building where the track is hanging over]​

Lots of measuring planning thinking evaluating occurring now with the sad but only solution to remove the new walk - it is reported for mindful of the need to carefully check the jobs in the planning stages.​

The U17 is in the four foot area between the building and the retaining wall with one track hanging over that cutaway strip. No wrong moves LOL. Machine's house couldnt move much cause the 'zero swing' becomes 'very reduced' when the tracks are set to narrow, therefore had to precisely swing the boom a little left and a little right with a very light foot on the pedal. And my helper usually eyeballs the setup continually to remind me for example to watch the boom by the window say ~ but he had the days off (for new grandbaby assist w family). By some luck: no touch no hits no errors!

Handy machine once again saves the back from holding the pavement breaker.

FYI On other projects: We have lowered this machine into holes, strapped it on the forks of a reachlift and extended it out over obstacles....and have seen similar antics on sites where the big iron is busy w production and the small machine is in a trench making life easier around a valve or tie in, or removing thrust block etc etc.

View w building and wall.jpg Operator view boom and broken.jpg One track half over slot cut.jpg Breaker.jpg

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Nice work! We have a breaker that works well on our similar size machine a Takeuchi TB016, and Toro Dingo TX425. A few things first to try, before you go at it with a breaker. Put the blade on the expansion indent, and use the arm and tooth bucket to lift up. It may crack on just the lift up. If it doesn't crack, do a few lifts and drops. You can also lift and try a few hits in the middle with a sledge hammer. Also you can use a concrete saw or try the breaker and score it a bit in the middle. Then try and lift with the bucket. Breaking it up into bigger chunks may make it easier to haul out the rubble, and less time with the noise/wear and tear. Can't see if your machine has a thumb? A thumb is great for loading, as well as picking up pieces and dropping them on the concrete and breaking it. But each job is different, so great on you for investing in the breaker!

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The concrete had to be cut twice at that 12" wide 'ribbon', and then that was done by hand with a demo hammer (no rebar in that portion). Did a couple long cuts to give more wiggle room; that day was a quick response to provide a method to allow water to drain to daylight.

As for the how of removing the balance of walk it was selected for the small pieces cause they could be shovelled into the wheelbarrow since there was the original walkway underneath, and as well not to damage that. And the rebar tends to cause the breaker to make those small pieces. For the notes: there was a sheet of some type of heavy paper that was installed as a separator of the old to the new concrete, which may have helped cracks from mirroring and it did indeed keep the two slabs from keying together since the old concrete was worn much like a random exposed finish.

A few amigos have encouraged me to cut into pieces, then lift out chunks ....as easier to load up. Do have a good saw so will add that method. Sometimes is easier to think save the blade and spend labor. Which may not be optimum. Thanks for ideas.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
I find the easiest way to remove concrete is have a concrete cutter come in with his gear and cut it into whatever sizes your machine can manage. This means less backache for you and someone else's gear takes the wear and tear. This is especially the case with large slabs where a concrete cutter can use a road saw and reduce the slab to easily managed portions in no time and reasonable cost.
Much less mess with cutting if you manage where the slurry goes. Breaking concrete with reo makes for a lot of small pieces which also increases the volume of the material way more than small slabs you can stack in truck or trailer.

One caution. In Australia many house slabs now use waffle pods, which are large polystyrene pieces which are under the slab. Concrete with any polystyrene attached are not accepted by the concrete recycler as the stuff blows all over their site. When this happens you are forced to take the concrete to landfill at great expense :eek:

skyking1

Hi Bob, looking good there. I'm working a rental mini right now and unfortunately the rental company couldn't get me a hammer for it. The smallest hammer they have is for my 35 and I've used that one. I have the saw cutter right now cutting out a section of hidden foundation underneath the slab. I mean right now!

PXL_20230209_180629510.jpg PXL_20230209_180738267.jpg

skyking1

You bet then just ride that thing to town!
I got it levered out of there but it's a big piece. He's going to dice it up into two man sized chunks.
PXL_20230209_183742470.jpg

PXL_20230209_190637716.jpg

Last edited:

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Here is the dingo breaker that goes between the mini excavator and mini skid steer. Much easier to attach and use on the dingo. Then you have the dingo bucket to move the rubble too.

Concrete breaker.jpg

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Here is my bigger breaker too, which in the image I was removing concrete stairs. I don't use it much, so I'm thinking of selling it. The breaker works on my Takeuchi TB240 and TB153FR.

Owner operator.jpg

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The (second) "new" concrete walkway has been placed with particularly great attention to the limited amount of fall (slope) available....rainstorms have tested for birdbaths etc - there are none. [Ref: see first post Feb 7 as to the background story n explanation]

Here's to hoping for a good outcome between the owner/PM and the original flatwork concrete contractor as to the cost of these repairs.
~
~
~
About the concrete saw and the rebar Q....the straightforward answer is yes the saw blade will cut the rebar.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Concrete saws go through rebar too? I didn't think so. Impressive job.

Yep those hydraulic concrete saws are beasts. This was an 18" thick roof on a pump station with 2 big Cat powered water pumps below. The top and sides demo'd then a new concrete roof was poured.

IMG_0814.jpeg