• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts on this Case 580C

Chavez, that is definitely a dry clutch model. You won't find a floor mounted neutral cutout switch on this unit.
I noticed the leaking transaxle fluid in your transmission picture looked a little milky, like it has water in it, and the input seal definitely needs replaced, something to think about.
The rear hoe sub-frame mounts to the tractor mainframe in 4 places. The bottom two mounts are just big hooks on the mainframe, with tightenable pins on the top two mounts. Over time they will wear some and work loose, it sounds like there is not too much play in it from your description, and any play it might have can probably be cinched up from tightening the linkage that holds the top pins. You will find these under a plate right between the foot swing pedals and the seat. You will see two large threaded rods sticking up, with nuts on them.
cat320 and Mr. Frazier are correct on the hanging rod you have a picture of. That controls the return to dig feature. Mine is like cat320 described, hasn't worked for years and I dont miss it, easy fix though.

There are two pins that hold the rear hoe boom to the swingtower. In your pic, that I think I have reattached below, that is the square headed pin. The two bolts fasten a small flat plate which retains each pin, so, it is not a crack in respect to the terms as cat320 referred to it ; that is how it is supposed to look.

Dustin

Attachments

• Case 580C swingtower with Arrow.JPG
    Case 580C swingtower with Arrow.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 765

Phil

The shuttle shift model with torque converter is so much nicer in my opinion. I have that funny feeling too, I'd walk away from this one. As someone else pointed out, once you replace the master cylinder, then it's the slave, maybe the flex line while your at it. About $250 per side from the Case dealer I'm guessing, then maybe you have to pull the brake housing off if they still don't work right. Look at the drain hole under the brake housings for any sign of trans oil leakage. This may mean seal replacement and sometimes the brakes get soaked anyway, drain hole or not. Listen for a whine in differential when you go back and forth. A bad whine can mean trouble. Machines that were roaded alot eventually lose the carrier bearing preload and the crown gear will wobble. Check the shuttle shift dipstick oil for smell and appearance. Most don't change the shuttle oil when they should and the filter was only an option. 580B's have a shuttle filter:p. Ask the owner if you can check for coolant in the engine oil pan. Phil

chavez

Blake
Sorry it took so long to respond. I did pass on this hoe. My job situation is a bit shakey at the moment so I didn't want to make the investment plus I took into consideration the responses here. Thanks everyone. I'm so glad Al Gore invented the internet:)

I did find out that a buddy of mine has an older 530CK that I can use if I need to. I'll make a seperate post about how to get it to my property.

Jeff

CaptDave

I moved my 530 CK a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. A tow truck company was the cheapest. A single axle flat bed with a winch was $85 an hour, for a total of around $400. Better than the equipment hauler, they were $1000. to haul it 2 1/2 hours.

Do lots of phoning around, it's amazing how much of a price difference there is out there.

Dave

Phil

Good thing you got it moved and in half-load season too. $400 sounds pretty reasonable, now we need nice weather:p Phil

melben

There is no neutral button on the floor on this machine as it is as previously noted a mechanical shuttle. That being the case there is no way you were making f/r shifts with out the clutch being disengaged.It has a synchro unit to facilitate grindless shifts, but not powered shifts as is possible with the C's with the PS transmission. I believe as the others that it is a bit overpriced and all the previously mentioned areas should be checked carefully, especially the front kingpin bearings. I would hold out for a power shuttle, you won't be sorry. Mel

Duke

I moved my 530 CK a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. A tow truck company was the cheapest. A single axle flat bed with a winch was $85 an hour, for a total of around $400. Better than the equipment hauler, they were $1000. to haul it 2 1/2 hours.

Do lots of phoning around, it's amazing how much of a price difference there is out there.

Dave

I use rollback towing guys all the time. WAY cheaper.

cat320

Charter Member
I use my local tow guy too if the job is far away other than that I will drive it there time starts when i leave the yard. either way it's built into the price.

besides if you use a reg. equipment hauler with a ladoll or reg equipment trailer bigger truck more expense and moe fuel used than if with a single axel rolback truck.

when i got my 580 it came about 2 hours away and that's what they brought it to me in was something like a 24' rollback and it did just fine.

Duke

I have a guy with a tandem Pete rollback. Easily carries my Case SuperM or even a dozer.

He usually charges me $150 to move my machine in my 20 mile work radius. Compare that to owning/storing a trailer. I only move my machine 4-6x year. While he moves the machine, I drive all my tools to the next jobsite. A real timesaver for me.

Of course if I moved my machine 20-50X per year, it'd be worth it to own a trailer.

Phil

So.. aren't the single axle roll-off tow trucks overweight with a backhoe on, or are they exempt? I'm not a trucker so I'm in the dark here. Phil:)

Duke

So.. aren't the single axle roll-off tow trucks overweight with a backhoe on, or are they exempt? I'm not a trucker so I'm in the dark here. Phil:)

"I have a guy with a tandem Pete rollback. Easily carries my Case SuperM or even a dozer."

spo307

theres one of those sitting next to a house by me, never seen it moved, whats a machine like that worth