• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts On A International TD15C vs Cat D6-D Dozer

J Downey

td15c

both dozers are close. weight 32000 to 38000 depending on how there set up. horse power 140. the 15c was made up till I think 93 under the dresser name. in 89 or 90 they changed from the 466 ih motor to the 8.3 cummins . both are excellent dozers. but the 15 was just a little better.:rolleyes:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have run both a lot and they are both excellent dozers,it is hard to say which one is the better performer and I would not be afraid to purchase either one.You might get longer life from the Cat because of parts availability and the TD-15 might be a little cheaper but they are both very capable machines and I might just lean toward the Dresser a bit.Just as an example I started the site work on a tract of land for an housing development on top of a hill and the water table was right on top of the ground,it was a swamp on a hill so we rented a D51 Komatsu LGP machine to give us a fighting chance to drain the property along with our pipe crew and I worked right along side that LGP dozer with our TD-15C and I couldn't see that he was moving any more material than I was and I could go anyplace that he did with it.Ron G

Brainzie

Both very good Tractors. The semi u on the 15 is a much better blade than the straight blade of the cat in my opinion, unless they have angle blades in which case the international blade will still be better :D, the 15 feels better on steeper slopes side ways. And better visablity with a lower bonnet. The D6 is probably more comfortable to drive and the parts has already been covered.

Attachments

• Scan-114_edited-1.jpg
    Scan-114_edited-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 905
  • Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 868

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Both very good Tractors. The semi u on the 15 is a much better blade than the straight blade of the cat in my opinion, unless they have angle blades in which case the international blade will still be better :D, the 15 feels better on steeper slopes side ways. And better visablity with a lower bonnet. The D6 is probably more comfortable to drive and the parts has already been covered.

The TD 15C has nearly 150mm more ground clearance and a flat smooth belly, no diagonal braces from the track frames like the cat has, makes a big difference in soft going,I have spent many hrs on both machines.

td15c

you can have the final drives off a 15c in 2 or 3 hours with out pulling the track frames, and you don't have to call cat to bring the tools to get the cat apart. if you do your own mechanic work the 15 is the way to go, if you hire it done i wood be thinking cat

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
The 15c is a nice cat but cat 6d is a better cat in the long run with having a better resale .

J Downey

I have run both a lot and they are both excellent dozers,it is hard to say which one is the better performer and I would not be afraid to purchase either one.You might get longer life from the Cat because of parts availability and the TD-15 might be a little cheaper but they are both very capable machines and I might just lean toward the Dresser a bit.Just as an example I started the site work on a tract of land for an housing development on top of a hill and the water table was right on top of the ground,it was a swamp on a hill so we rented a D51 Komatsu LGP machine to give us a fighting chance to drain the property along with our pipe crew and I worked right along side that LGP dozer with our TD-15C and I couldn't see that he was moving any more material than I was and I could go anyplace that he did with it.Ron G

Another memeber (R.D.G013) said "The TD 15C has nearly 150mm more ground clearance and a flat smooth belly, no diagonal braces from the track frames like the cat has, makes a big difference in soft going" Would this be the largest factor.

J Downey
Savona Equipment

td15c

That is a good point. That is not the case with the older cats though is it?

If you had both dozers at action and they were the same year, same condition, and set up the same, the Cat wood bring more money.

TD-20G

We own a 15c with the 8.3 liter (505 Cummins very poplular) motor and it is an excellent machine. They are proven reliable crawlers and they also have outboard planetaries which reduce the final torque on the shaft. We have a couple 175Cs also which are more or less the same as a 15C. The 175s have 466s in them which are great international engines, (and very common.)

Last edited: