• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts on a box blade…

markshr151

Why do box blades have a hinged rear blade? I hate these things, how do you control how much cut your front blade makes? I must be missing something because some very high end blades have hinged rear blades. Is it for a certain type of soil? I work with a lot of sand here in central Fl.
I'd like to hear both sides as I'm going to buy a 7' blade soon.

Shenandoah

The gap between the front blade and the rear blade will create a hinderance to allowing the front blade to dig in because the rear blade will need to dig in as well before you reach depth. By having the back blade allowed to float you'll get better bite and won't be spending fuel simply grinding down the rear blade.

You want the front blade to cut and if you collect stones in the gap between the blades this won't help.

markshr151

Is this the method for people who do not know how to adjust the top link? I tip my blade forward to the degree that I want to remove material. There never seems to be a problem digging in unless teeth are needed. Then tip back and leave a perfectly smooth path.