• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

My $0.02 (or $5 in B**enomics) : This assinine rule of "No child left behind" and a "participation trophy" society has put us in a steep rate of social decline.

My wife, as an elementary school teacher, can NOT fail any students, no matter how little work that they perform. These kids that refuse to apply themselves are pushed along to the next grade regardless of their performance. Unruly students get treated with kid gloves and don't suffer any negative consequences for poor behavior. The result is a society of ignorant, lazy people with no work ethic that become dependents of the system to provide their needs. Just like the courts of justice these days, there are no consequences for poor judgement, no reasonable punishments and no consequences. And each year, it gets worse as the coddled generation produces the next generation of useless crybabies.

Now, is there any real wonder why businesses can't find qualified help and standards keep sliding downhill? Everything starts with education. Destroy that and you can destroy a country in a few generations.

Who would have thought that Idiocracy was the foretelling of our future? Sadly, we are well on our way.
This is pretty much my opinion also.

I needed a day or more off from this place, so I worked with the wife at her machine shop yesterday. LMM calls me around 11 am. I didn't answer since I was busy figuring he would leave a message. He did about the lube truck having an issue. About an hour later, I called the lube truck guy directly and questioned him. What he needed was no big deal, but I did ask if the shop had been cleaned up yet. He told me NO it hasn't. What a shocker...............

I then texted LMM (he doesn't seem to have a problem texting) and told him if he needed anything to text me instead of calling as I'm working around loud machinery. He tries calling yet again at 5 pm. I ignored the call, and he left no message.

This was a simple instruction that he couldn't follow. He has zero respect for others and it's something I can't tolerate in any form. I blame Alan more than anyone.............he doesn't know how to do anything but organize paperwork. He has turned out to be just another bad hire of many this company has done in the past. Bad hires make more bad hires.

I'm not going to coddle either of them and will let the cards lye where they fall. Someone will get hurt or killed..........and its NOT going to be me!.

TCat

1713361067622.jpeg
I’m still trying to figure out how this happened, aside from leaving it this way when you leave for the day. This looks like sticking your hands in a barrel of grease and trying to coat the entire length of that hose with it. While touching everything around you at the same time. Strange, very strange.

56wrench

One of the problems around here is that all those marginal employees went to work in the oilpatch when they would take anybody with a pulse. Then the downturn came and they were the first to be laid off. Now they refuse to take a job that pays less, and are either still unemployed, living on unemployment insurance, living on disability ins, or living on the streets and doing drugs

colson04

Bad hires make more bad hires.
Years ago, when I was in the management training program for a large corporation, I was sent to a week-long seminar for 'soft skills'. There was value in what the seminar taught, but one of the biggest things I gleaned came from a VP that came and lectured our group one afternoon. He said " A's hire A's, B's hire C's". People that are at the top of their respective discipline, want to work with the best in that discipline. They want their recruits to be as good, or better, than they are because of the value they will bring to the company for everyone. The 'B' grade employees fear candidates that are better than they are as they are afraid of being replaced, thus leading them to hire candidates that they think rank below themselves in abilities, skill, etc. I have heard this from a few other sources since then, and I agree with it. Poor management and poor recruiting efforts leads to poor quality new hires.

Monkeywithawrench

Incompetence is everywhere, and it seems to be encouraged and cultivated.

Colson,

Nice post........

I keep a list of quotes in One Note ............that post was copied and saved there!!

"Fools multiply when wise men are silent" -Nelson Mandela.
I have seen the multiplication of fools because everyone claim that you don't need to address a fool.

Truck Shop

Then there is the guy with no skill and admits it.
Years ago the shop I was working in was looking to hire, 6 came in to ask/interview.
5 of them were busy taking up there skills--which caused some skepticism. The 6th
I'll call him Casey--that was his name, was majoring in chemistry at CWU. He was
up front---{About all I know is how to gap a spark plug and change it}---{Honesty}
That is the #1 requirement with me for hiring----A person can have the greatest
A personality and is not truthful, truthfulness is everything in my book. Being able
to have trust in a employee is golden, the rest comes along. I told Casey to show
Monday morning.
Casey's math ability & reading retention was tops. Yes he didn't know squat about
much mechanical, he was taking a year off from school because of money. He was
putting himself through college. Casey was without a frigging doubt the best new
hire decision I ever made in my entire life. He didn't know crap--but he said so
upfront---that says allot.

Shimmy1

Years ago the shop I was working in was looking to hire, 6 came in to ask/interview.
5 of them were busy taking up there skills--which caused some skepticism. The 6th
I'll call him Casey--that was his name, was majoring in chemistry at CWU. He was
up front---{About all I know is how to gap a spark plug and change it}---{Honesty}
A personality and is not truthful, truthfulness is everything in my book. Being able
to have trust in a employee is golden, the rest comes along. I told Casey to show
Monday morning.
Casey's math ability & reading retention was tops. Yes he didn't know squat about
putting himself through college. Casey was without a frigging doubt the best new
hire decision I ever made in my entire life. He didn't know crap--but he said so

The worst guys out there are the ones that already know everything.

You can't teach somebody that already knows it all.

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
Not sure if the company ever gets a visit from EPA or OSHA though many places Ive worked and worked in including refineries would have an absolute meltdown over that kind of mess. Not to mention if it were just left there like roadkill.
EPA nightmare, OSHA nightmare, Company safety nerd nightmare, Work comp case waiting to happen and not to mention that the company is a reflection of the mess in the picture.
Not sure I've ever worked anywhere this would be a non issue for more than a few minutes.
Wait I just told a fib, There is a large as in the worlds largest scrap company that purchased several yards all around Louisiana and I must say those places are all complete environmental disasters.
You could likely produce a few million barrels of oil a year from each yard.
Had to un-deck a crane in a area among other work like boom and lead repair so for the hot work area we had to use a hoe to dig out some of the ground material that was a fire hazard. Got real curious when told not to dig too deep because we would hit oil. That was no joke or BS, my curiosity led me to dig down about three feet past the fluff material on the ground and the ground was leaking oil filling the hole.
If LMM is willing to move a bit farther south he could work for this company and not only fit in he would be able to make stupid large messes and no one would give a second look

Welder Dave

Monday morning.
Yeah, that's much better than the countless numbers of people who exaggerate their resumes and then can't/don't live up to their own hype. Who gets hired does tell a lot about the person doing the hiring. There's a lot of them that love the brown nosers. I was always pretty honest on my resume and listed the type of projects I worked on. I was also more than willing to do a job test to show what I could do. Some of the places that help people write their resumes are doing a mis-service to their clients too. If you can't do what you claim could mean your new employment is short lived. As far as cleaning up nobody is over qualified. It shows initiative if you clean things up even if it wasn't your mess. I'd normally say if you're not busy and help someone or clean up is usually a good thing... unless you're helping a guy in a union you're not part of. God forbid you help a union guy. Some stuff is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
To add to what Colson put, it gets worse when poor management can't deal with underperforming staff so the easiest way to remove the problem from their area is to promote them away to be someone else's problem. hence they will then end up in a management position way above their ability