• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Small Dozer

StxRancher

I have a Deere 450C and it's a powerful little machine and small enough to haul with my f250. I was impressed at it's ability to knock down mesquite trees.

Occupation
I operate our pit, as well as deliver materials, a
:my2cMy ideal dozer. Hmmmmmmmm. I like the Yanmar T-80 AG crawler. I've not ran one, but boy do they look cool! They have a narrow stance, rubber tracks, three point hitch, PTO, and are available with a dozer blade! I think this is a good start. I would like to see a compact rubber track Tractor. Maybe use the drivetrain components from a CTL, but offer a blade, 3 PT and PTO. I was thinking of a machine about 48 HP Yanmar Diesel, 4 range hydro drive, overall weight of about 4500 lbs, with rubber, and quick change to steel tracks all with a 6 way dozer blade. A machine this size could take the compact tractor market by storm! I love the versatility of our Bobcat T-190 and just wondered to myself why there isn't a compact tractor made similar to something like this, but m ore as a tractor instead of a dedicated loader. When you have a fleet of common construction equipment at your fingertips, something unique is always a fun thing!

td25c

Mini Dozer with a cable blade ...... I love it !

Not sure if the trailer & tie down chain are rated for that machine ....... Better move that rig after dark so DOT don't get any ideas . LOL :D

cherokee101

I've got lots of thoughts.

Finally! A small dozer is mentioned besides a 450 anything. I've never run a TD-7,8 or 9. I'm wondering how they push compared to my orphan ca 18,000 lb x 100 hp Daewoo DD80L. I enjoy this machine. I paid too much 10 years ago compared to what they bring today since they are no longer made but it only had about 1200 hours on it. Only has about 150 more on it now. It is our farm dozer but I had it out in 95 degree heat all day today pushing trees and building waterways. Never missed a beat never got hot. Something must be wrong.

The hydraulics fit it. I can run fast over irregular ground pushing small brush and if I get my rhythm right I can follow the contours with both tilt and blade lift. It is an electric over hydraulic Sunstrand hydrostat with hall effect input devices, wheel slip detectors, engine speed detector etc. In other words, Fly by Wire and it scares the crap out of me that it will fail someday as so many others of its kind have. I suspect most of the problems are from storing outside and wiring connector problems. Ours has been barn stored since we bought it as with all our equipment. Good barn cats and a large black snake in the machinery building seem to keep the mice at bay from chewing on wires. It sat for nearly five years while I finished up my career and I've gotten it out finally now that I am retired. It is simple in principle but a wiring nightmare and where do you get a new microprocessor? All machines are being built to be obsolete in just a few years. A local dirt contractor who prefers the older non Tier engines said Cat tells him his '97 tractors are antiques.

The Daewoo DB58 engine is like a Cummins 5.9 but with wet sleeves and it has SEVEN main bearings. These things are in service all over the world. It is very happy between 1500 and 1800 rpm and stingy on fuel since it is naturally aspirated. At 100 hp rated the thing is hardly working.

I've got some fitting leaks to fix tomorrow so I'll pull the seat and the inspection plates to access the aft end where the pumps are. It has a nice simple welded plate box frame and Berco track group I'm told is the same on a D5 Hystat. The machine is a 2001 model and I'm fearful that some of the O-rings in the Type 62 fittings are getting brittle.

I've thought about selling the machine and buying a TD-7, 8 or 9 or even a Komatsu 32 or 37 but I'd like to run one for a bit first and that is a tall order to fill in a meaningful way. I've also thought about a Case 450 or even a later model 350 with the planetary cutting clutches. Those are nice since they can power steer but they would not do the work like I did today nearly as fast. I shy from Cat and JD since they tend to sell for more than the others and the orphans. The way I use a dozer it is hard to justify a very expensive and late model one but there is nothing else that can do the work of a dozer when you need one.

One other thing in buying equipment new or used that I've promised myself I will do If I ever buy anything else: GET A MAINTENANCE MANUAL AND DO A FULL SIMULATED MAINTENANCE PROGRAM TO SEE WHAT IT REALLY TAKES. Some of these machines are almost impossible to work on in any reasonable way. My hams and forearms are not the size of broom sticks.

My favorite small dozer would be not new, 75 to 100 hp, simple but with wet clutches all-round, new tracks and otherwise refurbished, planetary finals, 15 to 18" grousers because I don't need wide pads and they are rough on chains in rock of which I have very little, medium long tracks, six way blade, small ripper, no computers at all and 14,000 to 18,000 lbs. Heavier is better but I don't want to try to pull one with a one ton truck. Had enough of that kind of thing. It would be outstanding to replace my PC-40 with an 7.5 to 10 ton trackhoe with blade. That and a dozer would do a lot of hard work for me.

cherokee101

Cat grader now has a 30ish thousand dollar wiring harness. At CONEXPO a Cat VP was extolling the virtues of their triple redundant fighter plane technology steering. Why? If the steering fails, and I can't remember it ever doing so on a grader, all you gotta do is stop and fix it. I'm still just pushing dirt and can't think of a single reason I need triple redundant fighter jet technology in my steering.

If I had about a billion dollars I'd start a new equipment company and call it Just Basics. Rugged equipment you can work on with lots of off the shelf components, few bells and whistles but all the things that make an operator comfortable and able to work well all day and any wiring would be simple, easy to trace and repair.

td25c

Wisconsin engine in the 4 shank walk behind ripper ?

Wonder what the engine was in the Cletrac dozer , Waukesha ? Pretty nice looking machine !

Mother Deuce

A nice, long and wide footprint.
A blade that is wider than the tracks when angled.
An actual power shift three speed trans and a real deaccelerator pedal.
Foot steer or two lever steer like a D4-h.
Hell, gimme a D4h with a little more balls and I'd be perfectly happy.
I'd like to place that same order for something old school A TD-7E

Mother Deuce

Here is my Struck. I have done some upgrades since these shots were taken. No more winch on the blade. I used a linear actuator on the blade so it now has down pressure. These machines are so handy for a hobby farmer I'm surprised there are not more of them around.
Just bought one of those last Sunday... have to go pick it up this weekend. It is going to be the other half's garden dozer.

Mother Deuce

And this one here has a four ripper set up, now that's a power house.

Truck Shop

View attachment 174773
Wanna buy a TD7G? See avatar.
And this one here has a four ripper set up, now that's a power house.

Truck Shop

View attachment 174773
I bought one of those from a guy that farmed up in Naches west of Yakima. I was buying a John Deere AO from him. The cultivator was so cool I bought that too. I can't remember the manufacturers name but it was out of Portland I believe! Cool to see one again!

Mother Deuce

Wanna buy a TD7G? See avatar.
Just bought this place so I am out of the real iron purchasing program right now. That will change and I am going to pick up a "7" for custom work your just about 24 months ahead of my plan... the flip side of that is I will give it some thought.

Mountainmover

I've got lots of thoughts.

Finally! A small dozer is mentioned besides a 450 anything. I've never run a TD-7,8 or 9. I'm wondering how they push compared to my orphan ca 18,000 lb x 100 hp Daewoo DD80L. I enjoy this machine. I paid too much 10 years ago compared to what they bring today since they are no longer made but it only had about 1200 hours on it. Only has about 150 more on it now. It is our farm dozer but I had it out in 95 degree heat all day today pushing trees and building waterways. Never missed a beat never got hot. Something must be wrong.

The hydraulics fit it. I can run fast over irregular ground pushing small brush and if I get my rhythm right I can follow the contours with both tilt and blade lift. It is an electric over hydraulic Sunstrand hydrostat with hall effect input devices, wheel slip detectors, engine speed detector etc. In other words, Fly by Wire and it scares the crap out of me that it will fail someday as so many others of its kind have. I suspect most of the problems are from storing outside and wiring connector problems. Ours has been barn stored since we bought it as with all our equipment. Good barn cats and a large black snake in the machinery building seem to keep the mice at bay from chewing on wires. It sat for nearly five years while I finished up my career and I've gotten it out finally now that I am retired. It is simple in principle but a wiring nightmare and where do you get a new microprocessor? All machines are being built to be obsolete in just a few years. A local dirt contractor who prefers the older non Tier engines said Cat tells him his '97 tractors are antiques.

The Daewoo DB58 engine is like a Cummins 5.9 but with wet sleeves and it has SEVEN main bearings. These things are in service all over the world. It is very happy between 1500 and 1800 rpm and stingy on fuel since it is naturally aspirated. At 100 hp rated the thing is hardly working.

I've got some fitting leaks to fix tomorrow so I'll pull the seat and the inspection plates to access the aft end where the pumps are. It has a nice simple welded plate box frame and Berco track group I'm told is the same on a D5 Hystat. The machine is a 2001 model and I'm fearful that some of the O-rings in the Type 62 fittings are getting brittle.

I've thought about selling the machine and buying a TD-7, 8 or 9 or even a Komatsu 32 or 37 but I'd like to run one for a bit first and that is a tall order to fill in a meaningful way. I've also thought about a Case 450 or even a later model 350 with the planetary cutting clutches. Those are nice since they can power steer but they would not do the work like I did today nearly as fast. I shy from Cat and JD since they tend to sell for more than the others and the orphans. The way I use a dozer it is hard to justify a very expensive and late model one but there is nothing else that can do the work of a dozer when you need one.

One other thing in buying equipment new or used that I've promised myself I will do If I ever buy anything else: GET A MAINTENANCE MANUAL AND DO A FULL SIMULATED MAINTENANCE PROGRAM TO SEE WHAT IT REALLY TAKES. Some of these machines are almost impossible to work on in any reasonable way. My hams and forearms are not the size of broom sticks.

My favorite small dozer would be not new, 75 to 100 hp, simple but with wet clutches all-round, new tracks and otherwise refurbished, planetary finals, 15 to 18" grousers because I don't need wide pads and they are rough on chains in rock of which I have very little, medium long tracks, six way blade, small ripper, no computers at all and 14,000 to 18,000 lbs. Heavier is better but I don't want to try to pull one with a one ton truck. Had enough of that kind of thing. It would be outstanding to replace my PC-40 with an 7.5 to 10 ton trackhoe with blade. That and a dozer would do a lot of hard work for me.

I have always wondered about these dozers. I remember seeing them advertised in "Southern Equipment Guide" newspaper back in the late 1990s and early 2000's.

What kind of parts does it use that you cannot buy? Can you go to the Doosan dealer and still get every part? Is it made of components that you can buy at random general parts houses?
It's a joystick hystat? It uses a pump and motor system that is used in other machines also?

I assume it's the same size as a Cat d3 or Cat D5 hystat? I wish you would make some informative videos of your machine. How to run it, features...etc.... might even increase value of your own dozer if you posted to Youtube and it became a source for the dozers and potential buyers....

Tugger2

I looked at a JD450 yesterday.Someone had put new undercarraige on it along the way,it had a winch and a C frame angle blade on it. For a machine thats probably close to 50 years old it was tight and ran well.Seems like the ideal machine to me,the only other thing needed is talent in the seat.