1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The suck bucket

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by willie59, Oct 10, 2010.

1. dirtmonkey

dirtmonkey Senior Member

dozer monkey , self employed
    Hey gravel doctor ! You the same ericscher on the M14 Forum ?

Not trying to hijack you thread Willie !

2. wrwtexan

wrwtexan Senior Member

Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
    074.jpg
    If I get nothing else from this site which definitely isn't the case, hats off to the inventor of this handy little device. I have used it to clean out several diesel fuel tanks which I otherwise couldn't get cleaned out.

3. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    :drinkup

4. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Well fiddlesticks, oil filled the threaded bolt holes when I pulled that swivel fitting.

suck bucket 8-15 001.jpg

No worries...suck bucket! Even used it to suck out the brake cleaner used to clean the holes of oil. :cool:

suck bucket 8-15 002.jpg

5. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Ok, time for an update. When I first made the suck bucket I basically threw it together in a hurry, really basic stuff. Well, it's been in use now for many years and a bunch of times. As we all know clear vinyl tubing has memory, you can't make that stuff stay straight, and oils/fuel will make it get stiff over time. Well, this past week, with the combination of those two things, I was sucking some oil out of a housing and, unknown to me, the vinyl tube with its bend inside the suck bucket was curled and pointing to, you guessed it, the spout where I had the shop vac hose connected. I think y'all can deduct what the result was. Slime-A-Vac!

That does it, it's time to upgrade! So here it is, the Suck Bucket 2.0

20171205_144720.jpg

I fitted a discharge pipe inside the bucket with thin wall 3/4" PVC pipe and a 45 degree elbow at the bottom of the pipe with a tailpiece cut on an angle. I rotated the tailpiece so it's pointing to the side of the bucket. I'm thinking this will help minimize splatter effect inside the bucket as it will direct liquids into a swirl when it enters the bucket and to make oils go straight to the side of the bucket to then flow down to the bottom of the bucket.

20171205_144830.jpg

On the top of the bucket I fitted a ball valve to control how much vacuum is applied to the bucket as too much vacuum can collapse the bucket. 90 degree barb fitting for the tubing will help keep the tubing from getting kinked, and I didn't tighten the threads so it can swivel around. Already have a project lined out tomorrow to try out 2.0

20171205_144924.jpg

RangerJake72 and John C. like this.
  6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I still need to build one of these, I saved having to build the first edition, maybe I'll get around to the second.

By the way, your sticker on the back of your truck gave me my laugh for the day.

upload_2017-12-5_19-14-39.jpeg

Tinkerer and John C. like this.
  7. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Contact Brent Albright at Associated Graphix in Ohio and he'll ship one out to ya. http://www.associatedgraphix.com/

8. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

I built one after reading about them, it is still around the shop. Works so good on many different things, thank for sharing your great idea.

9. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Now you're just getting fancy to show off! :p

I even built a 1 gallon version.

10. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Heck yeah dirty4fun, they do work well on many things, I even used it when I went to replace the toilet at my home with a new toilet. That last little bit of water left in the bowl after flush, the suck bucket to care of that in short order so I could pull the old toilet and carry it outside without spilling water through the house.

11. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Showing off??? Naa, necessity is the mother of invention. After my episode of the vinyl tube was pointed right at the bucket spout where I connect the shop vac and totally slimmed my shop vac, that does it, I've got to make this better.

12. Kiwi-truckwit

Kiwi-truckwit Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind, but I've shared this thread to a NZ motoring forum - it's just too good not to!

13. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    No worries from me Kiwi-truckwit