• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

jason.weir

Welcome Jason. You might even have an 80F there, it's hard to tell from the photo. Is the engine a 6 cylinder Ford 300 or a 4 cylinder White/Hercules? That would tell us. I've got lots of old documentation om both 60F and 80F soas soon as we figure out what it is, I can send you some. No manuals for those however. I only have a 40F manual. What brand of controllers in the basket?

It's got the 4 cyl White\Hercules & was dual fuel but it looks like the carb has been changed and most of the propane stuff is disconnected. No idea on the controllers, I'll take some pictures today.

Thanks!
Jason

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
It's got the 4 cyl White\Hercules & was dual fuel but it looks like the carb has been changed and most of the propane stuff is disconnected. No idea on the controllers, I'll take some pictures today.

Thanks!
Jason

Ok, so you do have 60F with outriggers rather than the extendable axles. Check out post #33 of page 3 of this thread, it shows a page of the different controllers JLG used on the F series machines. Let me know what brand of controllers you have.

jason.weir

Racine? Cutler-Hammer?

1102161051.jpg

1102161052.jpg

1102161052a.jpg

Also I noticed the swing motor was loose - so loose it has broken all 8 mounting bolts (more than once - see the picture)

1102161154a.jpg

You can see where it has been re-positioned and re-drilled a couple previous times. Is this something common?

As for repair can I simply remove the 10 bolts holding the housing on and remove it to bring to a machine shop to fix?

What's the process for removing that housing?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Correct, Cutler Hammer controllers. I've never seen a basket control panel quite like that one before. It's either really old or heavily modified. None of the 60F's I've known (about 6 of them) ever had a problem with the swing gear box. But none of them had Cutler/Hammer controllers either. They are either off or on. There is no feathering, nothing gentle. What's the 5th joy stick for? Must be Steering?

That's just a bearing housing you're looking at, nothing special in there. Keep it clean, lift the top off and take it away for machining. You might need a big puller to pull that bearing off the shaft.

One word of warning, with no swing brake on the swing, the counter weight will always find it's lowest point. Chain the boom down. If you're loading or unloading it on a trailer or ramp truck and that counter weight is on the high side..........it will suddenly swing until it's on the low side......causing the boom & basket to wipe out anything and everything in their path.

jason.weir

Yup its steering, although I believe its been modified because all of the controllers are 4 way when only 2 way are needed.

On the front of the panel there are switches for basket up\down, drive speed low\high, engine speed low\high, emergency power, choke, start and key on\off.

Thanks for the heads up on the swing - we won't be moving it but I'll put a tie down on it to make sure it stays put.

I'll see if I can get the bearing housing off tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Any chance you have hydraulic\electric diagrams\schematics for what I've got? Everything works now but I'd like to be prepared when things go wrong.

Much Thanks for the help so far..

Jason

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I've got a parts manual for the engine, but all the diagrams I have scanned in are for Racine controllers. I'll have a look through the paper "archives" tomorrow but honestly, I've never seen a 60F with Cutler hammer controllers before. I might have some info/manual on the swing gear box as well. Private message me with an email address and I'll send you what I've got scanned in PDF format.

Dave

On the machines that came with C/H controllers, they only had 2. Steer & drive were on one, lift & swing on the other. Telescope was on a toggle switch.

jason.weir

Lucky for me I caught it when I did - got 2 bad bearings, one catastrophic

Here you can see the housing off with its swiss cheese flange

1103161744.jpg

And the junk bearing - Timken JM205149 (bearing) and JM205110 (outer race)

1103161744b.jpg

This one wont spin either - gotta get it off to see if the seal has a part number on it..

1103161744a.jpg

Next to get the housing on the lathe & clean things up

-J

Last edited:

jason.weir

If I should be posting this stuff to its own thread just say so - I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Gonna be a couple days till I get the new bearings & seals - so I'm taking some time to fix the planetary housing and clean up the numerous poor repairs

1103162117.jpg

Plan is to drill the broken bolts out on the mill
Re-tap and clean up all the threaded holes
After that I'll fill all holes with some grade 8 bolts, secured with jb-weld.
Then I'll cut the bolt heads off and fly cut the entire surface
Then drill & tap 8 new holes
I'll finish up by installing studs, bearing grade loctite & stage 8 locking fasteners

Should last another 40 years.

Jason

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If I should be posting this stuff to its own thread just say so - I don't mean to hijack this thread.

No, it's just fine here, this entire thread is about info that concerns the F series JLG, a whole bunch of information cataloged in one easy to find place as opposed to scattered in numerous threads across the forum. ;)

I can't say about your rotation gearbox, and it's been years since I've worked on an F JLG, but I recall some of the older JLG machines had planetary gearboxes that required timing the gears upon reassembly. I don't know if that applies to your gearbox, maybe OFF can confirm.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
No, it's just fine here, this entire thread is about info that concerns the F series JLG, a whole bunch of information cataloged in one easy to find place as opposed to scattered in numerous threads across the forum. ;)

I can't say about your rotation gearbox, and it's been years since I've worked on an F JLG, but I recall some of the older JLG machines had planetary gearboxes that required timing the gears upon reassembly. I don't know if that applies to your gearbox, maybe OFF can confirm.

Usually they were timed, but some weren't. You have to clean everything up well and carefully look at the ring gear, each planet gear and the sun gear for little X's or dots etched into one tooth or between teeth. If you don't see any markings, assemble and rotate by hand to confirm that everything is meshing, no tight spots. On a planetary that's been abused as badly as that one has, I doubt you'l find and tight spots anyway.

helicemb

JLG 40F torque hub

I dont know if I can ask my question here but...... My JLG 40 F has a torque hub broken and the Wheel just fall down. I see that the spindle shaft brooked from the plate. Can I change the plate only or I have to change the complete torque hub. Second request is about a command non responding. I cannot backup and I suspect an electrical problem. Can you send to me the service manual for the JLG 40F.

helicemb

Broken torque hub shaft

Can I change the spinner only or I nead to change the complete hub. I also have an electric problem..... I cannot backup. Can someone send me the jlg-40f manual. thanks a lot...michel

helicemb

Broken torque hub shaft

Can I replace the spindle only or I have to change the complete torque hub. I also have a backup problem and I suspect an electric problem. Can someone can send me a service manual / electric diagram / hydraulic diagram.

thank a lot...Michel

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Can I replace the spindle only or I have to change the complete torque hub. I also have a backup problem and I suspect an electric problem. Can someone can send me a service manual / electric diagram / hydraulic diagram.

thank a lot...Michel

Hello Michel, just send me a private message with your email address in it, and I will send you the manuals in PDF format.
I've never broken a spindle on a 40F, but I certainly have on other pieces of equipment and the spindle is always available separately.

exwestracer

Newbie with 40F problems

Hello, and thanks in advance for all the great information.

We have a 40F with a V4 Wisconsin, Bertea Prop stack, and PQ controls.
If you are still emailing manuals and diagrams, I'd sure be grateful for a little early Christmas present.

Our unit has problems with lift, drive, and swing not working; as well as hi-drive bogging the engine.

I've read so much good info on this thread already, I'm not even looking for answers right now! :D