• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

Jonesy

Rebuild update: Gas tank is off....not too bad inside, but noticed some slight seeping on the bottom...gotta clean it up and see about repairing....tricky business repairing gas tanks. A friend has some of that goo that you coat the inside of the tank with that is supposed to seal it up from the inside. He says it works well. Might give it a shot so long as I don't end up with any large holes. Although there wasn't much rust in the tank, the filler screen was pretty rusted up.
Got about 18 hydraulic lines off, marked, and diagrammed. Still got a long way to go there.
The basket is off, and in the shop for repair.
I removed the double-chain link from the engine to the hydraulic pump so that I can continue to occasionally run the engine. Glad I did...the chain is rusted up and in need of replacement.
Good news....I pulled the hydraulic filter out of the tank, and it looks like new....doesn't look like I'll have any issues with the hydraulic tank, although I'm working on taking it off of the unit in order to get all of the stone quarry crap out from under it.

Wooddean

Hello All,

My first post here on the site, and this is an incredible thread for knowledge!!! I have a 40f i've been working on and it runs exceptionally well but needs a few small items.
The alternator doesn't charge the battery, the horn and the backup signal doesn't work. Appears someone has done some minor electrical mods here and there.

Any chance I could receive the electrical diagrams, and/or owners manual, IPL for this machine? Anything would be helpful, thanks in advance.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
Howdy All! Well we had a really busy year and haven't checked the Forum for a few months and am planning on pulling the old girl (1976 40F) in pretty soon and pull the motor and tackle that drive motor seal issue again (it still seeps). I may have someone add the case drain to it and try a new seal again. I'm getting frustrated with that issue and thought I would throw out to everyone I would be interested in a drive motor or two if anyone is parting one out or find out if any other newer years would bolt on to the drive hubs. She performed well this summer and would like to make her happy this winter.

pyro-1955

If this question has been asked, I am sorry. I was using my 40F this weekend, had a couple of issues which I figured out the hard way, stuck 35 feet in the air, lost all control, alternator belt broke, once power was lost, so was control. Once I was rescued by my wife letting me down with the manual valves and I replaced the belt and recharged the battery, i was back in business, the only thing is it seems the swing is very slow, especially swinging to the right, it is very, very slow. Is there something I need to check to remedy this? Any help will be appreciated.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
If this question has been asked, I am sorry. I was using my 40F this weekend, had a couple of issues which I figured out the hard way, stuck 35 feet in the air, lost all control, alternator belt broke, once power was lost, so was control. Once I was rescued by my wife letting me down with the manual valves and I replaced the belt and recharged the battery, i was back in business, the only thing is it seems the swing is very slow, especially swinging to the right, it is very, very slow. Is there something I need to check to remedy this? Any help will be appreciated.

Was it working properly prior to the shut down. If so I think thats a good sign. From my limited knowledge I picked up here (after checking Hydraulic Fluid level and filter status) my guess would be the solenoid that controls that function could be the culprit. If you can raise OFF or Willie they would have a better handle on that issue.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic

Well, because the machine was working well before the belt broke......I would start by making sure you have good battery voltage. You need about 12.6 volts with the engine off and something higher than 13.2 with the engine running. Also, watch the system voltage while you swing and do other functions. Any large drops would explain your slow function. Although I don't remember any connections between the manual lowering valves and swing, it wouldn't hurt to make sure those valves seated properly after your rescue.
next step if you have Racine Proportional valves, would be to "center" the swing valve.

pyro-1955

Well, because the machine was working well before the belt broke......I would start by making sure you have good battery voltage. You need about 12.6 volts with the engine off and something higher than 13.2 with the engine running. Also, watch the system voltage while you swing and do other functions. Any large drops would explain your slow function. Although I don't remember any connections between the manual lowering valves and swing, it wouldn't hurt to make sure those valves seated properly after your rescue.
next step if you have Racine Proportional valves, would be to "center" the swing valve.

I believe mine does have the Racine Proportional valves, how does one "center" the swing valve? is this procedure in the manual? I have not used the machine since the last post, we got snow. Now we have too much snow that is turning into slush for me to be able to move the machine, but I can test it. I will check the voltage this coming weekend to see If i can make some progress.

Thanks,

Pyro

painted

Is there any way I can get a copy of a manual? Mine had racine valves. I'm trying to find out what each of them do

Rhino1961

I have the manuals for this lift thanks to OFF. I can send them to you but they are to large for the site. Send me a PM with a good e mail and I will get them to you.

Jim

breakout99

Can anyone tell me where to get the PQ controllers rebuilt. All three of mine are bad. I sent one off to a repair shop in AZ for a rebuild that was supposed to be $80 labor + up to $200 for parts but when they looked at it they said it was not repairable. New one was $577. Looking for something cheaper for the other two.