• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The best cordless grease gun

FSERVICE

shimmy I am going to put it in simple terms the new lithium milwalkee tools are way better than the dewalt!! dewalt is basically a black& decker brand!! There is a reason everyone has dewalt they r cheap!! the reason everyone has 20 dewalt batteries is cause they don't hold a charge very long or hold up to commercial use very well!! it depends on region to which brands guys are loyal to but here u can pick the pros from the weekend warriors by their choice in battery tools!!

Shimmy1

Hey, I'm not trying to start a war here. I just was looking for opinions as to why you guys are swearing by them. Nobody around here uses Milwaukee, so I can't try one. Few guys are getting Dewalts, 18's and 20's. I have a 12 V Lincoln that I have been using for almost ten years. Probably pumped over 1000 tubes. Have wore out at least 3 barrels. Yes, its not the fastest gun, but it still works, and when it quits I'll get a new one.

bigshow

My neighbor is our Master Mechanic at work and EVERY tool he owns is a Snap-On, EVERY SINGLE ONE. He is the most brand loyal individual I know, he owns their entire line up of cordless tools, including a Snap-on grease gun. He has even told me that the Milwaukee grease gun is a better unit than his expensive Snap-on. I don't care for his, it's huge and bulky and does a mediocre job on stubborn fittings. He has it for obvious reasons including standardized batteries amongst his fleet of tools, plus the Snap-on warranties.

Tim321

Why do All the Milwaukee guys just say "Milwaukee M18" and that's it? If you're going to have an opinion, say WHY… What do you like about them? Do you have it because you happened to have Milwaukee tools? Have you ever ran anything else? I have ran and owned Lincoln 12V, 14.4, and 18. Alemite 14 V, Dewalt 18 V, and a couple of cheapos. I have never ran Milwaukee because they are not that popular around here. Dewalt is king here, everyone has them, everyone has 20 batteries so you can pretty much go anywhere. I'm not saying they're the best, but I have never had one I disliked.

This is better, I'm still curious about what makes a Milwaukee miles ahead of Lincoln and Alemite. Battery, weight, quality?

The 18 volt Milwaukee has a two speed volume/pressure switch. Can also set the number of pumps (1-50) per trigger pull.

Shimmy1

The 18 volt Milwaukee has a two speed volume/pressure switch. Can also set the number of pumps (1-50) per trigger pull.

Now we're cooking with fire. The number of trigger pumps? I could easily get used to that. We just got a new 18 V Dewalt for the shop. We wanted commonality. How many batteries with the Milwaukee, and if its cold out, how many tubes?

Tim321

Now we're cooking with fire. The number of trigger pumps? I could easily get used to that. We just got a new 18 V Dewalt for the shop. We wanted commonality. How many batteries with the Milwaukee, and if its cold out, how many tubes?
Can't help you much on battery life. I bulk fill the gun, normally don't go though more than one fill a day. I have left the compact battery in for two weeks and it was still going strong.
There's a lot to be said for commonality. If your happy with the Dewalt stick with them.

Shimmy1

My thing is, I like consistency in greasing. I realize it is going to sound crazy, but I have a system. For instance, on my scraper, I have pins that I put 10, 20, or 30 pumps in. Would be fantastic to set the gun, pull the trigger, on to the next one.

Tim321

My thing is, I like consistency in greasing. I realize it is going to sound crazy, but I have a system. For instance, on my scraper, I have pins that I put 10, 20, or 30 pumps in. Would be fantastic to set the gun, pull the trigger, on to the next one.
The 18 volt would be perfect for that, I don't think the 12 volt can count pumps. Easy enough to set on 10 pumps and just pull the trigger again when it quits pumping.

"acidoil"

I am not sure how many tubes of grease my DeWalt 20 volt with the XR battery will pump. I have pumped 7 one one charge and it was still going. its also variable speed. I tried a cheep HF afew years ago. It went in the trash. I went back to a hand gun. I am happy I jumped in on the Dewalt. The tech I hire loves his Lincoln he has had it for years.

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have owned a Lincoln 14.4v,( pretty good grease gun) so when it wore out I bought the Lincoln 18v, thought it would be a better gun, but I am so disappointed with it. Batteries not lasting very long, the relief valve always popping off, you wouldn't notice until you had grease all over yourself. I tried to remove the valve and just put a plug in, but could not find a plug with matching threads. So I tried a Alemite, like the gun for the most part, eventually one of the batteries quit holding a charge. Recently I bought a Dewalt 20v, I like the gun, batteries hold up pretty good, but it too has a stupid pop-off valve. I had gotten used to watching for the pop-off valve on the 18v Lincoln that now I watch for excess grease from the valve on the Dewalt. I do like the variable speed trigger.

My next gun will probably a Milwaukee M18 after reading this thread.
We are always looking for something better.

Last edited:

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
This is a perfectly good thread, so I'm going to resuscitate it...

Many of those responding to the original post -- [essentially] Which cordless grease gun do you recommend? -- have stated that they prefer the "Milwaukee M18." My research is showing that Milwaukee manufactures more than one 18V cordless grease gun, so I think it would be great for the thread if the Milwaukee cordless folks would kindly provide a part number for their grease gun(s).

As I quickly found out with our new Makita 1/2" impact driver: newer isn't always better...so we went back to the old "heavy" brush-type 1/2" impact and have been smiling ever since.

Thanks for your productive posts

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
My neighbor is our Master Mechanic at work and EVERY tool he owns is a Snap-On, EVERY SINGLE ONE. He is the most brand loyal individual I know, he owns their entire line up of cordless tools, including a Snap-on grease gun. He has even told me that the Milwaukee grease gun is a better unit than his expensive Snap-on. I don't care for his, it's huge and bulky and does a mediocre job on stubborn fittings. He has it for obvious reasons including standardized batteries amongst his fleet of tools, plus the Snap-on warranties.
I have the same consideration, I have all Snap-On and did not want to have a bunch of different batteries. I love my Snap On cordless grease gun, no issues.

Seabass

My M18 has lots of pressure, tightens up excavator tracks quickly. long 4 ft hoes makes it nice. even has a little light to see what your greasing in the dark.

alb3rton

I have a Lincoln grease gun. Have it for two years now, and never had one problem.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
We use Dewalt here but that's because at some point before my time, someone decided everything needed to be dewalt. It is kind of nice though because they are all the same battery so when a battery needs charged I can steel one off a crew truck while mine charges

mikebramel

shimmy I am going to put it in simple terms the new lithium milwalkee tools are way better than the dewalt!! dewalt is basically a black& decker brand!! There is a reason everyone has dewalt they r cheap!! the reason everyone has 20 dewalt batteries is cause they don't hold a charge very long or hold up to commercial use very well!! it depends on region to which brands guys are loyal to but here u can pick the pros from the weekend warriors by their choice in battery tools!!

Yeah, Milwaukee tool is owned by the same company that makes RYOBI and Craftsman power tools. I'm not sure what you mean the Dewalt batteries don't hold up. I have several of the newer "RED LITHIUM" batteries from Milwaukee that the tabs break off in the lower half of the battery leaving it split. It all comes down to pick you favorite color. Milwaukee has the most fluffed up marketing so maybe that is why the perception is so high?

hvy 1ton

Milwaukee name is licensed to a chinese company that builds ryobi and rigid power tools. I'm not sure about craftsman, but i wouldn't surprise me.