• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Test driveing a jd650h lgp

NZfarm

Occupation
Sheep @ beef farmer
Hi all, still looking for a dozer. going to look at a jd650h lgp with 4900hr on it any thoughts on what faults to look at . Looks very tidy from the photo's I've seen has got rippers and looks like it's been on tracking, not thrashed in the bush.

Cheers nzfarm

trainwreck

we have a 650h with narrow tracks on it, it has been the best dozer i have worked around, poor thing has almost 8000 hours of very hard life on it and is still going strong.

firetrack

trainwreck,
I have no experience with JD dozers. I have a Cat D5N LGP. What would be an equivalent size to this in a JD dozer. I have had a few other JD machines - mainly the green units(all excellent units) but have just recently purchased a yellow unit(328D) an am very happy with it so far. Only done 70hrs though.
Firetrack

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I think a 750 JD would be closer in size to a D5.The D5 is quite a lot bigger than the JD 650.They are both good dozers in their respective sizes.I would not be afraid of the John Deere at all.Ron G

LDK

The 700J (great dozer) is the equivalent of a 5M or N. The 750J (good tractor) is around the same size as the 6M or N.

We run both models, our biggest let down has been dealer service and having either of them standing for a month while waiting for a simple spare part to arrive has not been uncommon. I would not go the JD route again, even though either of these dozers would out work any equivalent sized CAT dozers
I have run. Their dealer service and backup has put me off for life, not saying this in bitterness but from experience.
We also run a JD 160 LC and a couple of their tracked skid loaders, I would not touch the later, they have been a total disaster!!

firetrack

John Deere has taken over from Cat to be the supplier of dozers(not sure if they got the graders and loaders as well) to the Australian Defence Force who purchased 850's. I would imagine there is someone in Cat with a very sore backside for allowing this to happen.
LDK,
What has been the problem with the tracked skid loaders and what models have given these problems.

Firetrack

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
The Oz Defence Forces did have a few TD 15Cs at one stage as I saw them up for tender going back a bit, some only had a few hundred hrs on them from new.

firetrack

RDG,
Yep, I saw a few of them as well plus they have/had some Komatsu 155 as well. There is a couple for sale at a dealers yard near the Sunshine Coast in Qld. I assume they came from the ADF. Some of the Cat 130 graders had rediculously low hours on them when sold.

firetrack

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Yup we just had one of those camoflage colour scheme 155s on dry hire for a couple of months on a job at Redcliff.Cheers RDG.

LDK

John Deere has taken over from Cat to be the supplier of dozers(not sure if they got the graders and loaders as well) to the Australian Defence Force who purchased 850's. I would imagine there is someone in Cat with a very sore backside for allowing this to happen.
LDK,
What has been the problem with the tracked skid loaders and what models have given these problems.

Firetrack,

They are 322's, we got them just before the joystick model came out over here, I think it was sometime in 2008. The main problem was with the valve block under the seat area. The valves leaking badly was/is a constant problem. Hoses and seals going has been a problem from day one. They did work in a lot of dust at times and it was found that they were less trouble if we could keep the belly plates clean. So maybe it was heat build up, friction or a combination. Whatever it was, we would never touch another one!
We had a CAT 246 working in similar conditions and it gave a lot better service. I am not saying that because I am a dyed in the wool CAT fan , I have no loyalty to any particular brand! I have had good service and bad from several of them.
Hope this is of some help.