• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex TS 18

terexkerry

Cannot answer you Leroy I had 6 TS18,s and great tools I will be laughed at but at the time with the right operator I felt they were better than a 627,none went to Aussie as far as I know,I also see on forums that some older hands like TS24,s against 637,s Kerry

Aussie Leroy

Thanks Kerry The only TS18 i ever saw was a really well balanced looking machine. What did they weight empty, and when did they finish building TS 18s

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Cannot answer you Leroy I had 6 TS18,s and great tools I will be laughed at but at the time with the right operator I felt they were better than a 627,none went to Aussie as far as I know,I also see on forums that some older hands like TS24,s against 637,s Kerry
I wont laugh. I have run an old Euclid TS-24 (1969 vintage 12 in front and 6 in back) against a "new" 637,(1998 vintage) Poor yellow thing didnt know where to hide. However... I was really wanting a big Wabco twin to finish it off with.;)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
From what I can find the TS-18 was in production 1970 til 1982. I think the 18s biggest competition was the bazillion early TS-14s that refused to die. And possibly the same with early TS-24s. In 1982 i was running one of the old bug-eyed 24s with a 6-110 in the front, and know of a few more that were still working around 2002-03. Pretty hard to beat that.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
And the weight of the TS-18 at 70,000 us pounds, sounds about right. Monday Il see if I can dig out my old Heavy Haul guide and see what it lists.

traxcavator

Can any of you guys tell me why TS 18s don't seem to be as poplular as TS14s and TS24s. ????

I have wondered this same question many times. As terexkerry stated, with the right operator they were more productive than 627s. In my opinion TS18s were in no way like TS14s, the 18s had plenty of power, power down bowl & apron, comfortable operator's station, and had a much better ride. I have heard some say that it was due to 14s being lighter and better in soft conditions but based on my experiences the 18s would go anywhere that 14s would. The 18s also dumped sticky or clumpy material better, it did not hang up behind the apron like the 14s tend to with a full load. The 18 weights about 75,000lbs and Terex built them from 1971 to 1982. Some of the last models had automatic transmissions, I never operated any of the automatics but would like to hear feedback from someone that has. I do think that good operating skills and good maintenance practices are critical to the durability and performance of all the older Terex scrapers. Cat scrapers could take more abuse from inexperienced or poor operators and lack of maintenance does not show up in the reliability of a Cat as quickly. I have operated every TS14 model except the last Gs with the Cummins engines and I still think a well maintained TS18 is the superior machine.

catken

We weighed TS18's and 627's with a D9H pushing in heavy dirt. The 627 took 3 seconds less to load but averaged 1.2 yards less. This was done with the Cat scale truck. The 627 was the
"A" series and the TS18 was 2 years old in 1976. The 627 had cushion hitch and that enabled to get around a little better. They also had them paired up to PP with the 627 on the front
and the TS18 on the back. It really worked good with the TS18 on the back because it set higher.
I would also have loved to see that TS24 running over a 637. Only thing I can think of was the 637 had a fuel filter plugged! Had to many examples where they worked together and
it spoke for itself.

catken

The TS18 was top-heavy compared the the TS14. The TS14 and 627 worked better on the slopes than the TS18. Anyway that"s what we found.

terexkerry

I have wondered this same question many times. As terexkerry stated, with the right operator they were more productive than 627s. In my opinion TS18s were in no way like TS14s, the 18s had plenty of power, power down bowl & apron, comfortable operator's station, and had a much better ride. I have heard some say that it was due to 14s being lighter and better in soft conditions but based on my experiences the 18s would go anywhere that 14s would. The 18s also dumped sticky or clumpy material better, it did not hang up behind the apron like the 14s tend to with a full load. The 18 weights about 75,000lbs and Terex built them from 1971 to 1982. Some of the last models had automatic transmissions, I never operated any of the automatics but would like to hear feedback from someone that has. I do think that good operating skills and good maintenance practices are critical to the durability and performance of all the older Terex scrapers. Cat scrapers could take more abuse from inexperienced or poor operators and lack of maintenance does not show up in the reliability of a Cat as quickly. I have operated every TS14 model except the last Gs with the Cummins engines and I still think a well maintained TS18 is the superior machine.
I quite agree with you on this Traxcavtor,Kerry

traxcavator

The TS18 was top-heavy compared the the TS14. The TS14 and 627 worked better on the slopes than the TS18. Anyway that"s what we found.

catken, The TS18 was more top heavy than the 14 but I found the 18s to still be more stable on slopes than a 627. You did sit higher on an 18 and for someone that never operated one before it would give you an uneasy feeling until you got comfortable with it. I'm surprised the 18 only carried 1.2cy more than the 627 though, thought it would have been 3 to 4 more yards. The only other draw back to the 18 was that the canopy was really tall and that made it a little aggravating to transport from job to job. I have seen some machines with the canopy lowered but it gives the machine an odd appearance. I wish Terex would have built them with the ROPS Cab like the TS-24Bs have.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I don't know why TS 18s are not as popular. I guess you are referring to the ones from the 70s and 80s with ROPS. Because I know they made TS18s and S18s back in the '50s before I was born. The little experience I have on them, they seemed like a good machine. I was just learning then, didn't have much to compare it to. And I was not on slopes, so I can't speak to it's stability on a side slope. The only thing I can think of, is by the time the later TS18s came out, Cat was making 27s and 37s so Terex had competition in the twin engine arena. (I think when the first Terex twins came out, no one else was making "double barrels"?)

catken

When we were weighing these scrapers a D9H was pushing. The owner could not believe it either. When they push-pulled the Ts18 carried about 2.5 yards more.
The TS14 would hang on a slope very well and would go in mud where the 627 couldn't go or the TS18. Power wise the 27 and 18 seemed fairly equal but the cushion hitch really made a difference when it got a little rough. Use to have a report on it once upon a time. Wish I would have kept it. Little more info Traxcavator. Also weighed TS24's but that's for another day.