• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex 72-21AA

PAS

Got a 3-71 in a wheel loader. Got some water in though the exhaust, found a piston with some rust. Soak and soaked it got it to move bumping the starter. Piston went down and failed to come up. We tried to pull off the exhaust manifold. Pulled off a bolt and antifreeze come gushing out so we stuck it back in.

We wanted to see what the exhaust ports look like. Is it normal for antifreeze to come out or is that a whole other issue. Not Mechanics just trying to do what we can do with advise unless it got to come apart. Thank You

Ben Witter

If memory serves me correctly the exhaust studs go into the water jacket. But it's been sometime since I touched a 71 series. Drain the coolant to below the head and you will be OK. You could have pulled one of the liners apart when you cranked it with the piston set up. This has happened before. You should be able to look in the air box covers on the side opposite the blower and have a look see. You should see the liners with the row of oval intake ports. That would let you know how bad the rust situation is as well. I would also pull the inlet off the blower to see what condition it is in.

Reactions: PAS