• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Td25c

mbvigil

Hello all,

I got this dozer a few months ago and I am starting to do some projects with it now. It sat on a ranch collecting dust and weeds for four years so it needed a little work (and still does). We drained the fuel tank, changed filters and batteries and it fired up. At first the steering wasn't working, but after some advice I got it steering good now. The right side track adjuster seal is blown, so I'm just running it on flat ground until I get it fixed because the track is pretty loose. It pushes really hard and will move a lot of material, and I like the Hi / LO steering system. I changed the primary and secondary air cleaner but it still smokes quite a bit. Does anyone have experience with these dozers? Do they normally smoke quite a bit?

Here are some videos of the first projects we've started. The first is a pit to bury some trash, and the second is a stock tank we're building. The dirt is fairly hard and extremely dry (New Mexico) but this old beast moves it around pretty good.

[video]http://youtu.be/Om7CgNTI_PQ[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/rjTty3XQb9Q[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/4jfqIAXrYAI[/video]

grandpa

looks like you've either got an air obstruction or the injection pump needs some attention, too much fuel or not enough air, one or the other.

X Quad Operator

Ran a lot of TD25's in California, and they would run circles around the D8K's. Loved the two speed frictions and loved putting one in low and the other one in high and the tractor turning by it's self, and yes I would take a TD25 over a Cat D8k. Great visibility, but the fuel tank was just a little to high for ripping other wise the TD 25 was GREAT.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
C.W. Poss had the largest fleet of TD25's I ever saw in Socal.
Ran a lot of TD25's in California, and they would run circles around the D8K's. Loved the two speed frictions and loved putting one in low and the other one in high and the tractor turning by it's self, and yes I would take a TD25 over a Cat D8k. Great visibility, but the fuel tank was just a little to high for ripping other wise the TD 25 was GREAT.

X Quad Operator

Good Morrning Dug Overburden
I worked for Charley poss quite a bit mostley feeding loaders, I loved the power and speed the TD25 had I also ran Charleys first D8K on a Sully-Miller road project out in Irvine and hated it, it had the exhaust muffler up close to the radiator and Shephard Tractor was always working on it, and the power it seamed was never there of course I was used to tractors with streight stacks. I worked for Fulton for a long time and Chuck Newberry bought a new TD25 and rented it to fulton for quite a long time, and I think the TD25 wasen't far behind the D9's. How long did you work for Charley?

Dickjr.

After setting so long I wondered if something is stuck in the pump causing over fueling. Is it turbo charge , if so it could be locked up maybe .

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
First thing check the turbo a little up and down on the compressor wheel is ok but no lateral movement..

steve loving

I went to work on a tractor once and it smoked bad . Birds had weaved stuff in the impeller so tight it was like a smooth wheel. Look at turbo inlet and check boost pressure. Like stated above fuel or air

Bearpaws

Hey thats a good looking old piece of Iron. I bought a Fiat Allis 21C awhile back. It to smoked like a frieght train. Even with a light load. Went through with all checks to the air sytem then checked Injector pump timing. That was it! Ended up having to retard it. More power and less smoke. If the turbo is good then maybe the timing. Also on the turbo be sure to check the exhaust side turbin. Had a Cat 3412 that did the same thing. One turbo had started to eat itself up with the spacer behind the exhaust turbin. Took awhile to figure that one with one turbo working good. Any way liked the movies.

OldandWorn

I like that cool sounding howling noise at the end of a push or while reversing. Is that the turbo?

clansing1

The International TD-15's, 20's and 25's have 2 speed planetary steering which gives full power to both tracks while turning or either track could be fully braked to give sharp turns was a great design. I believe IH came out with this in the TD-24 in the early 50's. The great benefit is full power on turns and no braking.

KRob

Clasnsing1, thats really neat to most modern...1980 and newer have something similar.....sorry not a real operator. Thanks

chevota84

Good Morrning Dug Overburden
I worked for Charley poss quite a bit mostley feeding loaders, I loved the power and speed the TD25 had I also ran Charleys first D8K on a Sully-Miller road project out in Irvine and hated it, it had the exhaust muffler up close to the radiator and Shephard Tractor was always working on it, and the power it seamed was never there of course I was used to tractors with streight stacks. I worked for Fulton for a long time and Chuck Newberry bought a new TD25 and rented it to fulton for quite a long time, and I think the TD25 wasen't far behind the D9's. How long did you work for Charley?

Bob fulton?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mbvigil

OldandWorn...yes it's the turbocharger surging a little when the throttle is closed. I checked the turbo and it dosn't have too much shaft play. If I can get a manual or someone that knows more about this machine than me I'll look at the injector timing.

Duramax

We have a later model td25c that has a 95% undercarriage its the only international we have left sold two TD20E's last year not sure what to do with it. Don't have the need for it anymore we used it to build several wetlands and to push scrapers with it then we had a fire under the floor pan, just finished putting it back together. Seemed like it took forever but we only worked on it when we had spare time, as we have several D8's and didn't have to have it.

jeff112

Not sure what engine combo you have but that heavy smoke could be caused by somebody messing with the aneroid,Or the aneroid may not be functioning, That would give you that heavy smoke but no lack of power or throttle response. The aneroid reduces fuel to turbo boost to limit the heavy black smoke when the throttle is applied rapidly.

Durt

Occupation
IH Mechanic
could be overfueling ... they usually smoke while spooling up but should run clean while going .. you gotta tighten the track man!!

petarg

Occupation
retired M.E.
mbvigil ... Back in 1980s, my company operated many TD25Cs in (what was then) Yugoslavia. They were good machines, in some ways better than Cat D8Ks (production!). However, in hard rock operations, the track components were not as durable as Cats.
But what is very important - whatever you do on this machine, you must follow strictly the workshop manual - any shortcut you will pay dearly. Sorry that I cannot help you there - the company's archives were lost in the Bosnian war.