• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Td18

kennymopar

how do i tell what series or year model a old TD18 dozer is ..(i cant find any compliance plates etc) ..im looking at one this weekend
cheers ken from Australia

King of Obsolete

i'm here, just head over there and i'll met you there. there are a few guys that have the books to tell you the year. if you also use the search section on the BB you can find info from past postings.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

hardtail

There are a few differences, early TD18 had the oil and fuel filters grouped together at the engine font left side, 3 filters in a row.

TD18A seperated the filters with 2 oil at end front and 2 fuel at engine rear, still left side.

181 & 182 series both had boxed track frames, an oil bath air filter, 181 still has 2 exhaust, single pipe is 182.

I have seen some late TD18A's that had boxed track frames but not the oil bath.....should be a rough guide to identifing.

Good luck :D

While IH didn't go to any trouble to match engine serial # to the machine they are usually close enough if the engine has never beeen changed, look for a flat casting boss on the side of the block with a stamped number.....

Last edited:

King of Obsolete

that is ok hardtail, any reply even spelt wrong is ok. you seem to pay attention to details were as i want to know how much it will pull. as long as it runs and go forward and can start when it is cold that is the main thing. year, colour and how much chrome doesn't matter to me, LOL.

can you post a picture of yours, i think yours is newer then mine because i'm the KING of OBSOLETE, lol.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

hardtail

Heres a couple of a 181 dually:eek:had to provide evidence to southern sceptics that they actually run...............:D

Attachments

• 000_0104__Large_.jpg
    000_0104__Large_.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 000_0105__Large_.jpg
    000_0105__Large_.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,269

kennymopar

thanks for that guys.. me & a mate just bought a little AC HD7 we are doing up ..but theres also a old TD18 closeby thats going cheap.its cable blade possibly ex army(maybe WW2) as a few panels are still green ..i had a TD18a for a short while in the mid 90s ..not a bad old mid size machine

diggerop

Caught in the wet and hard at work.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    376 KB · Views: 1,130

hardtail

Ron G is gonna love those period photos, must be an early 18, don't see those cable arms on later units, looks like it's puffin nice pushin scraper :drinkup

kennymopar

im looking at a TD18a tomorrow .. anyone know the year of changover from TD18 to TD18a ? .. also if the cables are overhead is that usually earlier or later than the "side arm" type cables?
cheers ken

RonG

Charter Member
I should start posting some of my old pics here Lance but everyone would really know how old I am,huh?Ron G

hardtail

Old enough to know better but young enough to want to do it again.......LOL :D

I think the O/H cables maybe even earlier, although it could be just different designs, lots of different rigging found their way on these machines.......I think 18A started around 1949.

kennymopar

i looked at a TD18a today ..the numbers on the plate are tdr 276-77 can anyone give me a rough idea of what year it would be?
cheers ken

kennymopar

that was top number on the compliance plate ..the dozer actually seemed in reasonable condition..except the old cable blade & winch is about stuffed