• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tax time

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
hey all im filling my taxes at the moment and come upon the education section. i have entered my total education tuituion costs for my HEO school
($10600 cnd)

i am 19 so im still in a low wage and a low tax bracket can i claim other things included with the going to school that i have bought that was needed? heres a short list of the bills that i still have:

coveralls-$57
boots-$62
gloves-$27
gas-$ 348
oil change (and Filter)- $48 (was changed while in school)

the tuition has already given me a nice return but why not take them for more right!

thanks for any help boys.

Turbo21835

Cant say about Canada. I do know that I was able to write off my HEO schooling, as well as any clothing used for work. But I also worked as a carpenter before school, and as an operator after school. My suggestion is see a tax professional. Ill finish this later today, I have some suggestions for you.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
bit early to be doing tax isnt it end of financial year is june 30

Like turbo said, I can't say for Canada, but here in the U.S. it's Dec 31st. My taxes are already done and i'm just waiting on my returns.

oriden

Occupation
here taxes have to be done by the end of april.

and turbo they allowed me to write off a large amount of the HEO school cost about $3212 cnd

im now just looking to add to that if i can.

Turbo21835

Alright, A few things you need to find out, this is why I saw contact an accountant. Here, any one in the trades can write off quit a few items on their taxes. The number one item i write off is my mileage. Since I do not work at a set location, unlike someone who works at an office, I can claim my miles driven. This is from home to the job. Keep a daily journal, with where you worked, and miles driven, I also include the hours i worked and what i did for my own records.

Here you are also able to write off work related clothing. Such as boots, coveralls, gloves, and the like. You can also write off tools that you need because of work. You can usually use tools that you would keep at home, my accountant says they never check. Just things to consider. Like I say, contact a professional tax person.

oriden

Occupation
ok will do thanks for the input!