• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tandem Dumptruck vs Tri or Quad Axle

Buster F

Here in Mass it's common to see a tandem axle tractor with tandem axle dump trailer permitted at 99k lbs allowing for approx a 30 ton payload depending upon the specs of the combo. Triaxle dumps are most commonly permitted for 77k lbs allowing for approx 24 - 25 ton payload. I have seen tandem dumps permitted for 73k allowing for approx 22-23 ton payload once again depending upon the specs of the truck (58,000 rears + 18,000 front = 76,000 - but i've personally never seen an overweight permit on a tandem for more than 73k). To the best of my knowledge Massachusetts has the least restrictive weight laws in the east and perhaps all the U.S. - and trust me it shows in the condition of our roads and bridges

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Ok, here's my stupid question of the evening --> What exactly does the Bridge formula accomplish, ie. how and/or why does it allow you to carry more weight? What difference does it make whether the axles are 3 or 30 feet apart? I can see adding axles to support more weight but I just can't seem to figure out how spreading them apart is helpful, in fact it would seem to me to be counter productive in that you've got to add more frame and such... Or am I right out to lunch here? Around here (at least as far as I know) it seems that if you have 2 axles it doesn't seem to matter how far apart they are, you're still only allowed to carry X amount of weight per Y amount of axles...:beatsme:beatsme:confused::pointhead Any insight would be awesome!

busdrivernine

Ok, here's my stupid question of the evening --> What exactly does the Bridge formula accomplish, ie. how and/or why does it allow you to carry more weight? What difference does it make whether the axles are 3 or 30 feet apart? I can see adding axles to support more weight but I just can't seem to figure out how spreading them apart is helpful, in fact it would seem to me to be counter productive in that you've got to add more frame and such... Or am I right out to lunch here? Around here (at least as far as I know) it seems that if you have 2 axles it doesn't seem to matter how far apart they are, you're still only allowed to carry X amount of weight per Y amount of axles...:beatsme:beatsme:confused::pointhead Any insight would be awesome!

check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bridge_Gross_Weight_Formula

busdrivernine

Kgmz it must have been nice to have a short trailer like that between my truck and trler I am 53 ft long and in some spots a really pain in the lower end

busdrivernine

The pics show the reach sucked in. When it is extended the trailer is 49 feet from pintle to center of last axle.

In other words the tongue slides in and out amazing concept what do they call them kind of trailers . Thanks tony

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Not sure on what the name would be, maybe extended reach pup trailer. They are all like that around here no matter what brand. The nice thing is you shorten the trailer when you are empty or off-road onsite to dump the trailer.

You only need to extend it to meet bridge law with a full load. With a light load you won't have to extend it. Like when I was hauling the demolition material from a wood frame structure we demolished, doesn't weigh much per yard.

A few links to manufacturers.

My trailer is a Beall/Truckweld
http://beallcorp.com/millennium-chassis/

Reliance/SturdyWeld
http://www.reliancetrailer.com/Sturdyweld.aspx

Columbia Body
http://www.columbiabody.com/productshome.html

busdrivernine

Not sure on what the name would be, maybe extended reach pup trailer. They are all like that around here no matter what brand. The nice thing is you shorten the trailer when you are empty or off-road onsite to dump the trailer.

You only need to extend it to meet bridge law with a full load. With a light load you won't have to extend it. Like when I was hauling the demolition material from a wood frame structure we demolished, doesn't weigh much per yard.

A few links to manufacturers.

My trailer is a Beall/Truckweld
http://beallcorp.com/millennium-chassis/

Reliance/SturdyWeld
http://www.reliancetrailer.com/Sturdyweld.aspx

Columbia Body
http://www.columbiabody.com/productshome.html

how short can you make traler when you shorten it ? And Thanks for your replies . Really amazing the different style of truck and trailers in the different areas of the country .

trucker68

I was talking to a contractor friend today about the guy bringing fill sand to my jobsite. The trucks coming to my site are 10-12 yd tandem dumps. My friend is from another part of the country, and he is used to seeing dumptrucks with lift axles. I'm in South Texas, and tandems seem to be the norm here. Me no habla espanol, so asking the drivers anything is like talking to.....oh, nevermind.

How much load capacity do lift axles add to a tandem dump? How much tare weight does a lift axle add? Would it be cost-effective to run fewer trips with a larger, more expensive, quad axle truck versus more trips with a cheaper tandem?

I'm just curious if we're "behind the times" here.

Dump trucking in one way is usually pretty simple. Bigger payloads should put more money in your pocket. Texas allowes as many as seven axles on a straight dump truck. Seven axles can give you payloads as high as 26 tons. The answer to your question are you behind the times is yes. But with all the no speeky d English you may be better off to ignore it. I'm afraid you would appear to be too big for your britches if you leeped that far in front of the competition

trucker68

The reason that the weight laws include a distance between axles is the federal bridge formula. When they designed the federal interstate system they came up with these axle spreads and weights to use as a guide to design the bridge spans and road bed. Think of it this way you know what big feet an elephant has. Imagine that elephant standing on one giant stelleto high heel shoe. The high heel would penetrate most anything. The interstate law makes the truck have a bigger foot print by spreading out your axles

trucker68

Be careful what you wish for. The most restrictive regs are more likely to be adopted, then your truck will be unpractical at home too.:(

I believe it may be something worth wishing for. It seems to me that the federal weight law would be the most likely thing to be adopted and that could be a good thing. The fed law is currently used in about 35 states. It allowes bigger payloads.in most cases. Dump trucking should be simple bigger payloads more profit. If we had a standard law we would have the freedom to move around the country and go where they paid the best

trucker68

You can pick up dump trucks in California that are rigged like the ready mx trucks you mentioned. They can get you about 20 tons in your home state That may be worth looking into. They have a 36 foot outer bridge and I believe gross about 65000.. there are also a lot of bargains out there on the left coast because of our wonderful economy