• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Taking the leap

linebore 141

Hey guys I am finally taking the leap and getting my own service truck to perform feild work.

Looking at a rate of 90hr plus 1.50 a mile.

Also looking at buying a shop to have guy or 2 working there

Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciate

Will be working on heavy equipment, welding, and marine

Have a way to track expenses, send out invoices and a great filing system. Plenty of insurance for everything people,buildings and equipment. At my work one of the biggest problems is workers being on cell phones instead of working. Managing people can be a bigger challenge than making repairs. Do not borrow money pay as you go, start small and grow.

ohiofleet

good deal it is the best and worst thing I ever did but I don't think I could ever work for someone again start small

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I would start with the truck and get established first. Having employees in a shop means a lot of babysitting unless you can get guys that are good at working alone. Once you find those guys they will soon become your competition.

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
I wouldn't recomend employees either. You might gross more money, but it's very douptful you'll net more. And you'll triple your troubles and bookkeeping.
It's kinda like bulldozing, if you could just hire people to do it walmart or the like would be doing it.
IT'S OK TO TURN DOWN WORK. Hard to do but ok. Only take on what you can do. I have a very hard time with those and business people all give me the same answer "raise your prices". You'll make more and have more time to enjoy it they say. Still haven't figured it out myself.
Get Debt free- gives you a lot of wiggle room if things get slow.
My advise is more about making a living, if a guy wants to go all in on making money, with the risks, and stress of it, it's their business.

ETER

linebore141...I agree with all of the above...Self employment is incredibly risky as you must know, I was told it would be either "feast or famine" (by a neighbor woman that had a hair-do shop, and she was right!). Setting up a "competitive" service truck is a massive expense by itself... can't imagine the cost to build a service truck and shop at the same time (have to have two of everything!). I have found that nothing about the business is an investment (buildings, trucks, trailers, welders, presses, etc.) in the way that "at least at auction price, you can always get out of it what you paid for it later" concept (not necessarily true). I have always had to figure that over the next "X" amount of years, I will use candidate tool/software "Y"... "W" amount of times, thus justifying the cost of the tool that will inevitably bounce around in a cabinet or sit on a shelf most of the time...the flip side is unless you have a very specific niche, you will not always have the correct tool / resource, and when you are constantly borrowing special tools you soon become another business's PIA.
I was also told that you should also be financially stable enough and prepared to make substantial reductions in you and your family's standard of living for the first few years (which combined with very long work days can make for some stressful late night kitchen table conversations!) Also "BOOK-KEEPING"...make sure whether your books are done manually in a "dome record-keeping" or electronically like "quik-books", make sure you make time to do it and put the same attention to detail in your books that you do with your wrench turning! Many start-ups fail because what seems good in the checking account through-out the year does not add up well at tax time. Maybe you have already done so, but if you haven't taken any business classes, your local community college might offer some affordable night courses? You will definitely learn things like making a "business plan" or maybe do some networking that can only help you in your endeavor.
A smart guy (who owned a shop for many years) told me that "if your going out on your own to get "rich", you will need more than just luck!"...but you should at least eventually make a "comfortable" living and do it on your terms. Even still, there will be times when you are asked to take on jobs that you are not well equipped to do, you will probably lose money on the job and cost the customer more down time in the long run, (neither will benefit your ego or reputation)...you have to learn when to say "no" and steer the customer in the right direction (he will thank you for it, appreciate your honesty and eventually call on you again).
At any rate, Good Luck and keep us posted!
Regards, Bob

hetkind

Also remember, that a good mechanic who has his own truck and tools only really needs you to set up jobs and handle the paperwork. You can do a tremendous amount of service work out of 3/4 pickup with a utility body. While a crane and welder is nice, you don't need them every job or even every week.

linebore 141

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be holding off on the shop for about a year if all goes well.

What is everyone's advice on software for equipment. It's not to expensive and I think it would be a good tool to have.

linebore 141

And I will be running quick books for all the office stuff.

There is a big need for local shops around here tht do medium to heavy truck repairs. That will be my main line of work in the shop as well as welding and fab

ETER

I bought a prolink IQ when they came out about 8 years ago, have since spent more on software (cat, international, etc.) than I paid for the scan tool itself...the software does give some handy diag. ability that just the palm code reader does not (yet?) (cylinder cutout/contribution, graphing, etc.), but for the money, most of the time you just need to pull codes to get you started on the repair (the handheld code readers are in the 400 buck range now...much cheaper) all in all, electronic tools can always be picked up "used" that will work well for an independent repair shop. Half my work is truck repair, the other half equipment repair...it's fairly unusual for me to have equipment in the shop newer than 5 years old...probably closer to the 30+ year old range most of the time. With respect to age of equipment repaired, I can't imagine that it's much different for other "mom and pop" shops across the country/world. If your in the field of fleet maintenance, I am sure the electronic tool requirements will be different and like anything else electronic, change every few years so I would not get too wrapped around the axle about it!
Regards, Bob

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
I found this resource and enjoy going to the once a month Saturday round table : https://www.score.org/chapters-map
"Why SCORE?
SCORE offers the nation's largest, network of free, expert business mentors.

If you're just starting a business, SCORE mentors can provide the practical action plan, education and tools you need to open your doors and establish a customer base. Already own a business? Our volunteer mentors can help identify ways to increase profit, improve employee and customer satisfaction, and achieve work/ life balance.

With SCORE, you can have the honest, confidential and sometimes tough conversations about managing money, motivating your team, and other business topics."

The above was copied from the Score web site: https://www.score.org/

It's kind of like coming here! Some smart people with expeirence and willing to share it.

catfixer

Just stay out of Joplin, that's my turf. haha just kidding. always great to see someone else taking their career into their own hands. Where are you at in missouri? I'm still fairly new to the whole independent thing but it's been more ups than downs. Judging by your name I'm guessing you line bore, definitely a marketable service. Might have to send some work your way as I'm not currently equipped for it.

linebore 141

Thanks, good to know that there is someone in Joplin on there own we can help each other out. I'm out of Wright City about 50 miles west of STL. I started the Linebore 141 year or 2 ago I was going out on my own but was not the right time for me. I'm in a great spot now but not sure with the other thing I got going I will have the funds for a mechine 55k-70k for a climax. Still plan to get one but may be a year. I go down to Eagle Pitcher in Joplin for my current company you ever heard of them.