• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB-007 with blown engine

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone out there know if a newer Yanmar 2TNV70-PGA 2 CYL ENGINE will bolt in replace the old 2TN66L 2-CYL engine in my Takeuchi TB-007?

I purchased it with the engine not running, and the sellers story was it was traded for without a starter, and when the new starter was installed, it would not crank. It must have cranked for a little bit anyway. When I tore into it today there is part of a connecting rod sticking through the side of the block behind the starter. If you were putting the replacement starter on it you could not miss it.

It will still be a good deal if I can get a replacement engine cheap enough.

Also anyone have a repair/service/owners manual? I have a parts manual for it, but nothing else.

Thanks for any help.
Bubbagoat

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
Picked up a workshop manual, so am still looking for an operators manual.

Looks like I may have to order the engine and see if it fits. I can't find the size of it to really compare, but the photos I have seen look close. I've started dissambling the stupp to get to the engine to get a bettter look.

Bubbagoat

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Has the actual body shape changed compared to your machine on the excavator which uses the newer engine? e.g was there an engine upgrade with a design tweak or just a straight engine swap?

As fas as I know there was the TB007 model and more recently the TB108, was the same newer engine used in the TB007 aswell as your model of your blown engine or the TB108 only?

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
It looks like the TB007, the TB107 and 108 all use the same engine. The one I am thinking of installing is a surplus new engine 2TNV70-PGA. The old engine was a 2TNE68-ETB on the tag, and a TN66 on the casting for the head or injection pump, I can't see it right now.

I'm going to order the engine tomorrow and hope that I can swap the bellhousing and flywheel from the old one to the new one so I don't have any issues mounting the pump.

I may not get it in till after I get back from Japan, I'm going to go see my youngest daughter for a couple of weeks.

Bubbagoat

Last edited:

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
The engine arrived today, and looks like everything will just bolt up. I have to change out the oil pan as the new one is too large to clear the bellhousing that holds the hydraulic pump. Hope to get the engine together before I head to Japan, but surely won't be able to do a test run till I get back.

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
The oil pans are not the same size, so I will be looking for a small oil pan and aluminum sump spacer for the new engine 2TNV70. If I can't find one, I may try to cut down the new oil pan enough to fit without cutting off too much and destroying the seal.

Bummer

Either way, it will wait till I'm back

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
Slowly getting the engine mounted and the parts connected back up. Each piece has to be remounted to fit since the engine is slightly larger, but it looks like I can get it all to fit.
I have the engine mounted, throttle cable connected, the exhaust system in, the alternator in, the radiator mounts (I think they are right now). I'll install the fuel lines tonight, and maybe get the air filter connected. Hope to do the radiator final install and re-bolt the diesel fuel tank in it's new position next week, and give it a spin......

Still looking for an operators manual.

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
I have it almost together, but now need to get a battery to start it. Anyone with a battery type for it? It looks like a U1 is too long, the space I have is at most 7.5 inches long and about 5.25 in width.

Thanks
Bubba

superdanny

Hey Bubba:

Did you get that 2TNV70 running in your TB007 ? I have a TB007 with a blown engine and was considering using the 2TNV70 but was concerned about burning up my hydraulic pump and blowing hydraulic lines as the 2TNV70 produces 5 more hp and 900 more rpm than the original 2TNE68. Just wondering how it has worked out for you.

Thanks
Dan

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
It is running, but tends to run hot since I had to remove the fan shroud to get the replacement engine in (it was about an inch different as I remember). I have a 12 volt fan to put on it, but never did. It is just a weekender, so if I only run it an hour or two in the fall, winter or spring it is fine. I squeezed in the U1 battery, but it was tight. RPM was fine, I bought a electronic tach and checked, and I did have one hose break, but they are all old and I think it would have broken anyway. May get some more digging in the next week or two, need to trench in some electric line. I ended up using the new oil pan on the new engine, so I had to reseal it after taking it off. I also used the old bell housing, flywheel and flat plate to mount the pump, but all that bolted up. I'm pretty happy, I have $3,000 in it total , so that is not bad. I paid less than $900 for the engine.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Seems like this must be a common problem. I had a customer tell me he had one that was having a oil control problem. When the ran it it would leak a lot of oil. I went over there to look at it. It would start and run but I cod see the crank going around behind the starter. I was like what the heck? How is this thing starting and running?

superdanny

Do you have any idea about how many hours you have put on the machine since the new engine install ? You got that engine cheap, do you remember where you got it from ?

Thanks
Dan

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
I got the engine from Surplus Center, and it was new, but from either an reefer unit or APU for use on semi trucks. it must have been when they were swapping models or something at the oem. I have seen them listed there several times, they don't last long, and have thought of just buying one for a garden tractor or log splitter they were so cheap. It's probably been about six months since I last saw them advertised, price had gone up some. Probably 50 hours on the new engine now, it is at my daughters house in Georgia so can't look now. dug some trench, and some stumps out of my yard, and hers. I had a hole 7' deep and about 15 feet in diameter digging out one stump, just kept going around and around till I got to the bottom of it. difficult getting between the roots, but did not want to ruin the chain saw cutting them for access. the 007 would not break a very large root, but you could tip the machine up real easily.

I think the problem with these models is they can tip over easily, my ROPS is tweaked a little, and am sure they rolled it and threw a rod when it was on it's side. I still have the old engine in a box in the garage, would like to find new rod bushings and bolts and use it for as long as it lasts. the crank did not look too bad.

superdanny

Thanks for taking time to reply to my questions. It sounds like you've worked yours pretty hard with no major problems. If I can get a 2TNV70 for around $1000.00 I think I'll get one for mine. I priced a new 2TNE68 short block and that would cost about $2400.00 plus freight.

Dan

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
Sure, but it is in the St. Louis area, but might be able to drop it off on a trip to Georgia, or Washington State, will be driving both ways in a month or so. Where are you?

superdan

Hey Bubbagoat,
Thanks for replying. You may be too late as I just gave my mechanic the go-ahead to order a new short block from Continental Engines. I will check with him tomorrow morning and if he hasn't ordered it yet we may be able to make a deal.
I live in Marietta, Ohio just off of I-77 at the Ohio river and my shop is located near Cambridge, Ohio at the I-70 and I-77 split. E-mail me at bonncollc@yahoo.com and we'll see if we can work something out.