• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swingmaster

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I've seen one of those out my way, on the UP line thru Nevada. What does it do/what's it for? I've never see one working, it looks like a small rail crane, but only a small one.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Looks like it would be used to load/unload items from one set of tracks to either an adjacent set of tracks or trucks on the shoulder of the tracks.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i ran one for kiewit rebuilding the cta blue line in chicago. handy as hell with a great chart. kinda scary to run on the elevated sections of line, but i never got one too tippy.

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
Pettibone made those since the 60s.iv never seen a swingmaster but its the exact same machine. they are used to move rail or ties or you can even put a loader bucket on them and side dump.they are very good machines and very easy and fast to put on and off track.every one iv seen or worked with had a GM detroit for a engine. they have 2 or 4 wheel drive and streer also crab walk. in my opinion the pettibone speedswing is the machine that kept pettibone in the machinery buisness for all this time. they also make a 360 degree spin one.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
A lot of these machines are originally a Pettibone speedswings (http://www.gopettibone.com/products/speed-swing/), Swingmaster will buy old pettibones and do a complete revamp and upgrade on them, then rebadge and resell them. It does look like Swingmaster has some models that either they build completely themselves or are a collection of old machines that no longer show up on Pettibone's site.

These machines are the do all of a rail road crew, they pull, push, carry, move, they are a set on/off anywhere machine. They have 2 and 4 wheel steer, crab, and rear wheel only steer. They come through now with either a Cummins or Deere engines in them now.

Video of mine pulling a 300' string of rail across a crossing:

http://www.viddler.com/v/fd25918c

Some photos of it at work:

http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Ray_Nadeau/slideshow/Railroad Equipment/Speedswing

That's a slideshow link for photobucket.

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
CN and CP still use them heavily on their maintenance of way crews all the time I saw several on my way across the prairies.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
The one here gets used everyday, we've got at least 2 more that I know of and we're probably going to have even more then that in the next couple of months.

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
here is one I passed by last week at work. I don't think its moved in awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 556

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
here is a few more I seen at work last cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 465