• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Surprise find behind dash of 580SM!!!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Pulled dash on this backhoe yesterday & got a bit of a fright !!
It's a carpet snake - python family - It will bite but not poisonous - didn't help my heart rate though!

Attachments

• 1256711804723.jpg
    1256711804723.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,791
  • 1256711207826.jpg
    1256711207826.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,789

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Glad we dont have any snakes here in Ireland!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
OMG!:eek:

I would need a change of undershorts after that.

alrman

Occupation
thats a good size snake, how did you end up getting him out?

We reckon it would be about 4or5 feet long. The operator LIKES snakes & didn't want to pull it out as it would have hurt the snake & probably damaged some wiring - so we put the dash back in & HE WORKED THE REST OF THE DAY WITH IT THERE! :eek:He figured if he left the dash out & windows open overnight it would just crawl out when it gets hungry enough -

BigIron25

nice, just trying to do some routine work and theres a snake chilling behind your dash. i just love it when that happens....hahaha and the thing that really gets me is the op left it in the dash and went to work for the day. hahahaha

bill onthehill

I hate when that happens! Don't care much for snakes and I sure am not gonna share the cab with one. Would have used something to"irritate" him into leaving!

kthompson

I have never used it on snakes but have large lizard and had friend to tell me based upon his military experience with cases of beer it will work. CO2 fire extinguisher will cool or even freeze them to point they can at best move very slowly it not freeze them to death. As a cold blood creature it will lower their body temp very quickly.

I have a now ex logger friend and he said years back snakes will flee from chain saw high pitch noise.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
a guy i worked with found a rabbit in a bobcat once crawled through the clean out holes in the bottom wheeled machine small holes good sized rabbit chewed up all sorts of wiring

DigDug

WOW , I would have crapped my skidwear right there ! I'm darn glad we have no snakes here.

alrman

Occupation
Update

I was curious & called operator
Found snake on Wednesday - Left dash off & windows open Wed night -
Thurs morning STILL THERE ! - While operating during the day, snake decides to have a look around cab - snake wrangler operator, grabs it BY HAND & bags it up.
TAKES IT HOME & puts it in his shed which has a rat problem - says it'll sort a few vermin out there for a while - then he'll take it out to the bush & let it go...........must be a Steve Irwin wannabe!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's funny! Snake wrangler operator. Well, that is a unique skill he can put on a job resume. :D

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I was driving my dumptruck up the road one day, and happened to glance down, to see about the middle six inches of a snake hanging down from the wires beneath the dash. Now, only seeing the middle six inches meant I really had no idea how much more there was at either end. :eek:

It wasn't really a good spot to pull over, so I gave it some thought, as we were cruising along--The truck was kept in a yard in a rural area, and I'd picked it up the day before, and made two round trips from the job to the yard, before taking it home with me for the night, which was not in a rural area, therefore, he must've been in there at least a whole day and night, and another half day, and about 75 miles of driving already. I figured that if he'd been happy that long, he wasn't likely to be too upset by the balance of the trip back to the job, so I just left him alone.

Once I got back to the job, we started poking at him to try and get him out. He retreated even further under the dash. He got all the way up on top of the glove box, so I emptied it, and removed it from the dashboard. He started going the other way, and once I could see his head beneath the dash, I grabbed him by the tail, through the door of the glove box. Eventually, I'm standing there at the pasenger door, with his tail, coming out of the glove box, in my hand, while his head is all the way out the driver's door. I let him go, and he slithered out onto the ground.

He turned out to be about a five foot long black rat snake, which are common here, and pretty even-tempered. The guy working with me put him in a five gallon bucket, and took him home, to help with rodent control in his back yard...

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I've looked at those pictures twice now and my nerves are already shot. I don't know how you guys do it. Every step in the bush would make me nervous, and then there are the crocs to finish off what the snake leaves behind. Phil

BIG D

I have heard this is a major problem on dozers that work in the hotter climates. THE BIG D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was driving my dumptruck up the road one day, and happened to glance down, to see about the middle six inches of a snake hanging down from the wires beneath the dash. Now, only seeing the middle six inches meant I really had no idea how much more there was at either end. :eek:

Well now, that would make your eyes pop out like a stomped on bullfrog! :D

I was doing a drilling job in Cincinnati in the mid 90's, rented a house from the guy I hired on as a helper, the house was cheaper than a motel room. About 10:30 one night while watching the tube, I saw something out of the corner of my eye move in the dining room. Looked that way, and it was a 4 ft rat snake slithering into the kitchen. I jumped up in pursuit, but he slid behind the fridge before I could catch him, wadded himself up pretty good in there. Hmmm, even though they ain't poisonous...I ain't going to sleep with a snake in the house! :mad: Rigged up a noose with a piece of 1/2" pipe and some flexible electrical wire and bagged him. Next morning when helper showed up for work, I presented the varmit and said "look what was going through your house last night!". He looked at it and said "If I knew you were going to have pets I would have charged you more rent!" Can't win with landlords. :Banghead