• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sunk and frozen

Welder Dave

Damn I want a pair if they have enough traction to dig through ice. After hearing the story about 2 trucks breaking through and getting stuck, why the heck would they take a skid steer out there? The driver is really lucky the front of the machine stayed up and he could get out. A skid steer with a door on front and a blower stuck on an angle like that would be kind of a beatch to get out of, especially when it's sinking and you're panicking. I'd guess the driver needed a change of underwear. He's extremely lucky.

davejo

Say the ice is a foot thick. Chip 6 inches away from it all around the machine. wait a couple days and chip another layer off, assuming the frost level has gone deeper under the machine? after a few rounds you have exposed the machine...

Not sure what "overflow" mentioned above is. Is this where one lake has an outlet to another lake so the water is flowing underneath the whole area?

56wrench

Well, my 2cents, I can’t resist. It looks like a rocky bottom and the front wheels and the blower are on the beach- only the back end is actually in the lake. Basically have to chop the ice around it and break it loose. If 2 pickups went through then the ice is probably only about 3 or 4” thick but at the edge it will be froze down to and around the rocks which complicates things. Probably a good idea to remove the blower so it doesn’t get damaged. Enough brute force will break it loose after chopping and chiseling around it. A heater(herman nelson) blowing on the front end for a day or two will help to warm the front enough to make it easier to break loose especially if its tarped in

Delmer

Or it could be muddy instead of rocky, then the edge is open under the snow, and the ice in the middle of the lake is thicker. Just can't tell much from a picture.

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer
Maybe go setup a GoPro and record the fiasco. May get lots of hits on YouTube.

I agree with should have gotten it out asap (even costing some $) vs letting it set there for days. Maybe a big excavator or crane could lift it, if the ice was broken up. But not sure how close to solid ground. Here I am guessing EPA or Dept of ecology would be all over them, already.

Tugger2

Maybe rig a good pull on it with block purchase from a solid anchor point like another excavator dug in a bit on solid ground. Tension it up then cover it with insulated tarps and run a couple of frost fighters into it might take a couple of days of steady heating but id bet when its warmed up it will pull out ok. Probably not a hard pull there once its melted out.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If someone had a telehandler you could fork off the blower. Then break out the ice around the machine, lift and pull with the tele to get it out. What a mess.

chidog

Ideas.

A cable from a good point to the machine, to some point on land, attach some sort of floats to it. Wait till the ice thaws.

Find someone with a jet engine equipped with an after burner to melt the ice.

A huge steam cleaner.

A bunch of chain saws with carbide chains, in case you hit rock or ?

A D8 size or larger winch cat will also be needed, tow trucks will just slide.

Ice is like concrete.

IceHole

Damn I want a pair if they have enough traction to dig through ice. After hearing the story about 2 trucks breaking through and getting stuck, why the heck would they take a skid steer out there? The driver is really lucky the front of the machine stayed up and he could get out. A skid steer with a door on front and a blower stuck on an angle like that would be kind of a beatch to get out of, especially when it's sinking and you're panicking. I'd guess the driver needed a change of underwear. He's extremely lucky.

A classmates Dad almost died going through the ice in a skid steer.

Was plowing the river for the snowmobile ice drags and hit a weak spot.

This was maybe 1995 or so. Machine didn't have a door. River was only about 25ft deep in that spot, was able to get out and swim to the hole.

Welder Dave

I was clearing snow on a big lake for the Numb Bum 24 hour M/C ice race. The snow was fairly deep. At one point I pushed snow up on shore and right at the edge it wasn't frozen and my front wheels dropped in. I picked the front up with the bucket and pushed/drove backwards. It's was rather strange because the ice on the lake was over 16" thick. It was at a tree line and I think the snow insulated the water from freezing where it met the shore. A little bit scary at first.