• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stumping with a ripper

dirtman55

Occupation
Road building for log trucks
Thanks Alex,
So what temperature does steel start getting weak? 10-20 below freezing F. A person should just stay home on those days but when your trying to freeze over a swamp that cold weather really helps.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
A D6 with a six way would be about as multi-tool as it gets for road and stump clearing. Its shouldn't be a problem to cut roots roll stumps.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Dirtman55, thanks for the response, if you have any more questions i can give more info. Now from my delvings in my text books it appears that the glass transition temperature is quite variable with the material that we are looking at. For instance aluminium is far more susceptible to temperature than a high strength steel. Now in the early days of manufacturing, in the 1940-50's there were quite a few accidents with ships that split in half due to the steel entering this transition range. Nowadays there has been far more research in metallurgy and the strength transition for steels will not be as dramatic.

All steels will become more brittle as they cool down, but if you are using a high quality, high strength steel, it will be more stable over a large temperature range. I think i would only worry about cheaper machinery, from second rate companies. The quality of the steel that they may be using could inferior to more complex and modern steel alloys, used in more expensive equipment.

Now another factor could be the welding rods that are used too, the steel plates may be ok, but if they are using an incorrect grade welding rod it could fail prematurely in colder conditions.

A good example is a hard facing welding rod, try and weld to bits of steel together, and then load it up until the weld fails completely. Now re-weld with a low hydrogen rod, or high strength welding rod and repeat the process, you will find that it will take a lot more force to break the weld seam.

This is because the hardfacing is very hard, but at the same time it is very brittle. The low hydrogen rod isn't as hard, but has much greater structural strength.

Hope that explains a little

Any questions feel free
Cheers Alex :D