• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stumping in the Northeast

RonL

Any opinions on what size excavator would be "just right" ( if that is possible ) for custom land clearing? What size machine would be most efficient at stumping?

Ron L

rino1494

A 200 or 300 size would work fine. It depends on how much you will be doing.

RonL

330L Cat? Must have some big stumps in northern Cal.
I was thinking that a 315 size machine might be just about the right size.
I had a logger clear about two acres. I'm stumping it with A Cat 416C backhoe and a D3G dozer.
It's a little slow.
And, it would go better with a thumb.
I'm thinking of one at a time custom clearing for individual houses rather than clearing large tracts.

RonL

ctkiteboarding

id say the largest you can move without a permit , maybe a 210 class but if your stumping only, bigger is better, i like the 160 class for just about everything

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
160 Case With Hyd Thumb

I used to run a 210 Case but droped back to a 160 for mostly Clearing. A 8 and half foot wide machine is a lot easier to get around in the woods than a 10 and a half foot machine. IMO. ;)

If I wasn't going to run a 315/160 machine I would get a 240-300 sized machine.

If your going to be a Bear you might as well be a Grizzly.:D

freedom digger

What ever size you go with make sure you have a bullet proof hydraulic thumb there worth there weight in gold but beware not all thumbs are created equal.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I don't think that if you are going to be mostly stumping with this machine that it has to be a hydraulic thumb. The hydraulics are nice but it's really just one more hose, cylinder, wear point on the machine. You can dig and grub stumps just fine with a solid thumb on a machine. Heck you can do most anything you want in the woods with a solid thumb. They aren't as convenient but they are cheaper and if you're working around branches and logs and other things that stick out and can be hooked with a machine you just don't hafta worry about the cylinder and hoses.

RonL

When you consider all aspects of the puzzle, it's as CT stated: as big a machine as can be moved without special permits.

Vahighwayman

Occupation
Injury Retired from Virginia D.O.T. Equipment Oper
Any opinions on what size excavator would be "just right" ( if that is possible ) for custom land clearing? What size machine would be most efficient at stumping?

Ron L
Ron, I'd have to agree with Rhino that a 200-300 series would work just fine. I've used a 200LC and a 330LC Deere without probs. however again it all depends on the size area, you might need to go a step up to 400 series but that is starting to get into some heavy digging.

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
i think something in the 315 or 160 size would be perfect...

bigbob

Hell, you guys sure think big. I have done many lots with a Cat 307, now have a 311CU. Not to many stumps around here slow that down.
Last year I donated a day of stumping to my towns recreation dept for new athletic fields, did not feel like fetching the 311 over in Maine and used the 307, some of the big Bull Pines I dug around and got it loose and had a Komatsu WA 500 loader come and push it out of the hole. Rest of the stumps were easy. Did about 1 acre in a day.
2 acreas may take 2 days with a 311CU. Why not hire a local for a day or two and not spend $100,000+ to do $1600 worth of work!

hvy 1ton

A large part of picking a ex size has to do with how hard you wanna make it to move the machine. That aside, I would use a 240 to 330 with a stump harvester. This winter a clearing/grinding contractor did the new walmart site. He had a 270 with a stump harvester handling the stumps and splitting trees for the grinder. I watched the 270 work and was impressed with how much got done, made it look easy. Woulda taken some pics, but it was way to cold to get outta the truck to watch someone else work. :D Someone spoke highly of the nye stump harvesters not long ago, your a better man than me if you can find the post though. :beatsme to make up for that i got you a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK-aq5jjE18&feature=channel_page

Maxpro

Occupation
Construction Consultant
That's one bad mamma jamma!!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Sure wish i had that on a job awhile back.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
id say the largest you can move without a permit , maybe a 210 class but if your stumping only, bigger is better, i like the 160 class for just about everything

You need a permit to move a 210 down there? In Mass the PC400 is right at the limit depending on your truck and trailer. 130,000 lbs is the gross weight up here with a tandem tractor and tri axle trailer. Anything more you need a super permit which costs about $7,000 Its cheaper to pull the machine apart than get that. But to answer the question a 300 is probably want you want in Mass thats what most guys use.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I have a 240 that i use for clearing, and all i can say is if you are dealing with elms, you better have a seriously heavy machine. There were 3 stumps i failed to remove for years using a jcb 215. Even the ec240 had to struggle to move those things.

And then, moving a tree after its on the ground is a function of tree size and machine size. Between, the stump, dirt, log, and limbs with leaves attached you gotta move a pile of weight. So you walk into a tree stand thinking it should be easy to move all these saplings , and there hidden in the corner is a 4' oak that was around to see the glaciers recede.

'the question you gotta ask yourself is do i feel lucky, well do ya, punk?'

ha