• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck! How to get it unstuck!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
This loader belongs to my brother. He decided to build a pond in front of his house. He dug three scoops and the machine sank straight down. He had a neighbor on a huge farm tractor pull it about three feet backwards but the machine did not rise at all.

Getting out backwards looks like the best option as it is a long way to solid ground in front of the machine. We don't know for sure but the ground could be rotten all the way to the road as seen in the pictures.

The fact that the ground is so soft just about dictates that the machine needs to come out of there on its own power. There is nothing within reach to tie off to and I doubt that another machine would be able to get close without ending up in the same situation.

My brother has tried digging out behind and has gotten some firewood under the front. He says that in all he has moved about 8 feet backwards.

The good thing is it is not sinking any more and it seems to be staying level.

What can we try? If we chain a crosstie to the tracks behind and try to back up? Then maybe multiple crossties?

JOHNNY'S TRAXIVATOR 002.jpg

JOHNNY'S TRAXIVATOR 003.jpg

JOHNNY'S TRAXIVATOR 004.jpg

JOHNNY'S TRAXIVATOR 005.jpg

JOHNNY'S TRAXIVATOR 006.jpg

eric12

what machines do you have to work with besides a tractor to pull it? if you can dig some dirt away from it then get wood under it like you were doing and hook the tractor back up to it and pull it backward and push yourself out with the bucket that might work. and try to get the tractor close to it so it pulls up as much as it can. good luck!

overworked

Might be easy er to tie logs to front and walk onto them then go backwards, you might get loader bucket to lift front some

kb9tci

Good luck! I'm guessing your toys are too far away to play?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

td25c

Don't look that bad . Got a buddy or neighbor that has a rubber tired backhoe ? Dig around the high lift with the hoe to relieve the suction then puller out with the hoe.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
There is a log skidder close by, if we can enlist his help.

Yes, my toys are about twenty miles away with no way to move them.

Wray

Occupation
Controls Tech, Ranching, HVAC, CPA
Did the water in the hole pool up from the surrounding soil, or did it rain after he dug?

I'm thinking maybe put a pole under the bucket and lift the front end up and put a pole or two under the front end of the tracks, and a few in front of those poles, then drive up on the poles, if you've got them close enough, try turning on them then back out to the side away from the fence, or once you have it up higher on the poles, add poles to the hole it's in now and back it out by taking pole from front and moving it to the rear until you are clear. Either way, that pond looks like it's going to have to wait a bit.

jwith68

Don't look that bad . Got a buddy or neighbor that has a rubber tired backhoe ? Dig around the high lift with the hoe to relieve the suction then puller out with the hoe.
Sounds like a good plan to me. What might be better yet is a decent sized excavator, something the size of a Cat 315 or larger. Probably not near as many of those around, but would probably make short work of getting that loader out of there. For that loader to come out of there, you're going to have to get the rear end started up on top, an the belly pan up off the mud. A hoe or excavator can help with that, and a big enough excavator could just drag it on through (brute force) to where you get to more solid ground.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Wray, the water pooled up after the machine sank. It is really too soft year round to support a tracked machine. I doubt that after looking at the rotten ground the owner of an excavator would not risk getting close enough to latch on.

Some good ideas for consideration posted so far, I am still thinking crossties chained to the tracks to create lift and then shuttle them from front to rear to bring the machine to drier ground. He is not stuck on the edge of soft ground, he is stuck in the middle of it.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Get a heavy duty wrecker out there,(a Holmes 750 with proper wheel chocks would be big enough), and he could suck it out in 30 minutes or less. A rotator-type wrecker would make it super easy.

Last edited:

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
A small non destructive explosion will break the suction. :idea Just be creative. Lol. :bouncegri

Last edited:

tctractors

A simple trick is to rope tie through the track chain holes round timber that is about 2 ft longer at each side of the loader or dozer width, this usualy means a bit of hand digging if she is well planted, about 4 to 6 chunks of fresh cut round timber works well, you tie the first lengh on and ease the tractor back some so you can tie the next log to the next pad set, you then throw a log in between the 2 tied on timbers easing the tractor back until you can tie another log across with another loose 1 put in between, as the mount clambers out of its early grave you cut the logs free at the front as they come around, fresh round timber logs work well as they tend not to break easy, crossing timbers are costly and cut the ropes under strain as they are to bulky in their shape, an axe is best to use on the cutting free bit as these logs tend to want to fly some due to stress. tctractors

td25c

There is a log skidder close by, if we can enlist his help.

Yes, my toys are about twenty miles away with no way to move them.

That should work . Invite Him over for barley soda and a cookout . Oh ... Bring your skidder along:D Happens to me all the time .:)

Karl Robbers

A small non destructive explosion will break the suction. :idea Just be creative. Lol. :bouncegri
A local council tried that with a 20T excavator. Despite the protests from all the seasoned workers, the council engineer knew best. The blast, converted to a hydraulic shock wave by all the water present and channeled upwards. Do you know how much a new cab and interior is for an EX200 Hitachi?

Belooky

Take that pole in front of the bucket, crank machine and lift the bucket up. Turn cutting edge down and sit that pole under it. Use the pole to push down on. When you lift the front up, since the rear it on the belly pan it well lift basically the whole machine up. Get as much wood or poles or cribbing, etc s possible under the tracks and drive up on it. Then lay out poles to walk yourself back towards dry ground

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
It is unstuck!

He dug a ramp behind the loader using a shovel and a ag tractor with a grader box. Got some more wood under the rear of the tracks and enlisted the neighbor again with the huge ag tractor. with all of that plus the loader helping itself it finally broke free and backed out, and yes, that pond will need to wait a while.

Thanks for all of the ideas, it took a combination of ideas to free the machine.