• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck dozer

BrentD

So I took the little Mitsubishi BD2G out to do some work on the pond we're rebuilding today, trying to push out some more of the 4+ feet of sand that collected in the bottom since the dam collapsed a few years back. Everything was going smoothly until I got down about about three feet below ground level. Just as I noticed that the sand I was pushing seemed awfully wet, the dozer stopped moving forward. Looked down and the tracks are coated with gray much. I apparently found what used to be the bottom of the pond. Unfortunately I also found where the 2 inches of rain we got last weekend went.

The front end of the dozer is buried so deep that mud is about 1" over the front of the tracks and the blade, fully raised, is sitting on the ground. The rear is in better shape. The mud is only half-way up on the tracks. We borrowed a friend's trash pump and tried to pump the water out of the hole, but the pump quit on us after about 5 minutes of use. Kept fouling the plug, so I couldn't get it to keep running. We tried pulling it out (backwards) with two tractors, a 43 horse and a 50 horse, both pulling together, but it wouldn't budge. The tracks just spin. Tried packing some logs and rocks and stuff behind the tracks, but we can't get them down far enough for the tracks to pull them under and get traction.

Trying to dig out behind the tracks to get the stuff lower was an exercise in futility. The gray muck just kept oozing back into the holes as fast as we could dig it out. I don't think we'll have any success with that until we get the water out.

Bringing in a larger dozer may be difficult too. I was digging perpendicular to the banks, which are rather steep, and am almost dead center between them. The pond wasn't very wide at that point so a larger dozer would have to be on about a 45 degree slope to be far enough away from where I'm stuck to avoid bogging down, but sill be close enough to pull in a straight line. Going forward would be impossible at this point.

And to make matters worse, the weather forecast is predicting another 2-3 inches of rain on Tuesday. If we don't get it out before then the water will probably be up to the seat. I didn't have a chance to take pics today, too busy trying to get the dozer unstuck. Current plan is to run to the nearest Tractor Supply in the morning (40 miles away) and pick up a new trash pump, pump the water out of the hole and then see if we can't get things at least dry enough to dig out the rear sections of track and get something under them. Fortunately everything we're working in is a sand base so it drains very quickly to the lowest point, if we can get the water out.

Anybody have any additional suggestions? I'm guessing once I get this thing pulled out and back to the shed I should change the oil and all the other fluids and probably drain the final drives as well, correct?

swampdog

Do you know how to chain a log (or a square beam) to the tracks? That usually worked for me.

For a small machine like that, an eight inch log or beam should work. Choose a log or beam about the full width of the machine (from outside of track to outside of track), or a little wider.

If you want to move backwards, place the log or beam behind the track on top of the mud. Use a 16 or 20 foot long 3/8 inch Grade 70 chain with hooks on the ends. Wrap the chain around the piece of wood near each end and then hook the chain hooks onto the outer edge of the tracks.

Then put the machine in reverse and see what happens. If all goes well, the machine should climb backwards out of the hole. Stop rotating the tracks before the log hits the radiator. Then repeat the procedure if necessary.

BrentD

Do you know how to chain a log (or a square beam) to the tracks? That usually worked for me.

For a small machine like that, an eight inch log or beam should work. Choose a log or beam about the full width of the machine (from outside of track to outside of track), or a little wider.

If you want to move backwards, place the log or beam behind the track on top of the mud. Use a 16 or 20 foot long 3/8 inch Grade 70 chain with hooks on the ends. Wrap the chain around the piece of wood near each end and then hook the chain hooks onto the outer edge of the tracks.

Then put the machine in reverse and see what happens. If all goes well, the machine should climb backwards out of the hole. Stop rotating the tracks before the log hits the radiator. Then repeat the procedure if necessary.

I was actually thinking about that this afternoon and wondering if it was safe. I had the log part right, at least. Had a log the width of the dozer that I was trying to get the tracks to take under. Should probably also note that this is an LGP machine with the pyramid / swamp tracks. (Leave it to me to find a swamp to test them in.) Fear of bending one of the grousers is why I decided to ask before trying the chain.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Without the pics its a bit hard but whatever plan you come up with make sure its not a half-assed arrangement. The more you fiddle around "hoping" the worse it will be. Most bogged machines are made 10 times worse by the operator panicking and trying too hard without having a good chance of success. Get off the machine, walk away, take a big breath and then assess the situation. Make a good, safe plan and extract the machine. For a good rule of thumb, if a machine is up over its tracks you will need twice the weight to extract it....so if your dozer weighs 5 tons, you'll need at least a 10 tonne machine to get it out. As opposed to "I've got my 10 tonne excavator bogged...my pick-up should pull it out":pointhead

Clearing around the machine with an excavator is always a good option to reduce the drag. A winch truck or dozer is often the best option. and don't forget track mats or lumber.

I dunno why, but bogged machines seem to often bring the craziest ideas out of people that have very little experience in recovery..........bogged machine = IQ reduction. Take care and good luck.

BrentD

As soon as I realized I was stuck I shut it down and went to find help. Still ended up making things worse though. The back end is not in that bad of situation, but the front end is pretty deep. I think if we can pump the water out and chain a log to the tracks it will pull back far enough to get traction again.

swampdog

I was actually thinking about that this afternoon and wondering if it was safe. I had the log part right, at least. Had a log the width of the dozer that I was trying to get the tracks to take under. Should probably also note that this is an LGP machine with the pyramid / swamp tracks. (Leave it to me to find a swamp to test them in.) Fear of bending one of the grousers is why I decided to ask before trying the chain.

I'm familiar with the pyramid track BD2 Mitsubishis; I owned one briefly. The pyramid tracks may not be super strong when it comes to fastening a chain to them. And you don't have flat pad ends to chain to, as with most other dozers. But it may be worth a try if you can find a way to hook the chain to the tracks.

If you do try the log, make sure that you fasten the chain around the log securely near each end, so that the log can't slip out of the chain's grip. You need to wrap/tie/knot the chain around the log in such a way that the log will stay firmly anchored to the tracks.

This worked very well for me a number of times with a much heavier machine.

How about using a good sized excavator, if you have one in the neighborhood? An excavator should be able to yank that Mitsubishi out of the mud without difficulty. Of course, if towing or pulling, take considerable precautions in case the chain or cable breaks or comes undone. Flying chains or cables can ruin an otherwise good day.

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Sounds good, might still be best to dig/clear around a bit and get a wire or chain onto another machine though before you try. An overkill recovery is better than a failed attempt.

BrentD

How about using a good sized excavator, if you have one in the neighborhood? An excavator should be able to yank that Mitsubishi out of the mud without difficulty.

Unfortunately, we're pretty much in the middle of nowhere. We'd probably have to hire an excavator to come in from at least 50 miles away. I don't think the county even owns an excavator. There's a ranch not to far away that may have a larger dozer, but I'm just not sure it could maneuver in close enough to do any good.

What is really sad about this whole mess is that my uncle's 1944 D8 is sitting just up the hill where he parked after he bought it 5 years ago and it hasn't run since. He thought he could fix it himself and ended up totally messing up the pony engine, then burned up a bunch of the wiring trying to put that back together. :Banghead

john1066

We got a call a few years ago that the city sank their d5m at the sewage dump at the plant. this is where they haul all of the sludge out of the sewer treatment plant. I went down with the 966G and they had their 710d there we dug around the dozer to release the suction. then put about 100 feet of cable on the back of it backed the 966 up till the cable was tight then i curled the bucket back and pulled the dozer out of the mud.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
fortunatly for you, you have a really small dozer stuck. You could have that d-8 stuck... Anyhow, any log skidders in the area? Their winch can be very helpfull.

td25c

Unfortunately, we're pretty much in the middle of nowhere. We'd probably have to hire an excavator to come in from at least 50 miles away. I don't think the county even owns an excavator. There's a ranch not to far away that may have a larger dozer, but I'm just not sure it could maneuver in close enough to do any good.

What is really sad about this whole mess is that my uncle's 1944 D8 is sitting just up the hill where he parked after he bought it 5 years ago and it hasn't run since. He thought he could fix it himself and ended up totally messing up the pony engine, then burned up a bunch of the wiring trying to put that back together. :Banghead

Call a wrecker service BrentD! Ill bet thier is someone close by that has a wrecker.And It dosent have to be a huge one,I have pulled out dozers with my 1 ton wrecker.we offer recovery service,but it will take me 2 or 3 day's to get to texas from indiana.here are pics of my chevy 1 ton & gmc tandom.

Attachments

• fwd gmc little wrecker 001.jpg
    fwd gmc little wrecker 001.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 4,295
  • fwd gmc little wrecker 007.jpg
    fwd gmc little wrecker 007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4,122

BIG D

My advise is also a wrecker especially considering the machine and safety being an issue thanks the BIG D

LonestarCobra

Call a wrecker service BrentD! Ill bet thier is someone close by that has a wrecker.And It dosent have to be a huge one,I have pulled out dozers with my 1 ton wrecker.we offer recovery service,but it will take me 2 or 3 day's to get to texas from indiana.here are pics of my chevy 1 ton & gmc tandom.

What size winch do you have on your 1-Ton?

BrentD, I dont know how far you are from Franklin, but there is alot of drilling going on over there, which means alot of big winch trucks. Just an idea.:guns

td25c

What size winch do you have on your 1-Ton?

BrentD, I dont know how far you are from Franklin, but there is alot of drilling going on over there, which means alot of big winch trucks. Just an idea.:guns

Its a 20,000 lb garwood.You can see more pics of it in the truck section under "post your wrecker pictures".

LonestarCobra

Its a 20,000 lb garwood.You can see more pics of it in the truck section under "post your wrecker pictures".

I was just curious. I have a 15,000# Tulsa on a 1983 Chev. 1-ton. They will surprise you on their capabilities.

td25c

I was just curious. I have a 15,000# Tulsa on a 1983 Chev. 1-ton. They will surprise you on their capabilities.

You cant beat a tulsa or garwood ,they are good winches.Is yours mechanical or hydraulic driven ? If you can keep the wrecker planted ,It will pull alot.

LonestarCobra

You cant beat a tulsa or garwood ,they are good winches.Is yours mechanical or hydraulic driven ? If you can keep the wrecker planted ,It will pull alot.

Its a mechanical drive. It is a 4X4 also, so you can put the transfer case in neutral, and run the winch off the 4-speed. It gives a good selection of linespeed for whatever kind of work your doing. Its not a wrecker, it has an oilfield bed with a tail roller and gin poles.

td25c

Its a mechanical drive. It is a 4X4 also, so you can put the transfer case in neutral, and run the winch off the 4-speed. It gives a good selection of linespeed for whatever kind of work your doing. Its not a wrecker, it has an oilfield bed with a tail roller and gin poles.

That sounds like a neet truck,you should send a pic of it.I am working on a 6 wheel drive FWD truck.I Installed a 60,000 lb garwood winch on it.Its a mechanical drive winch.Ill post pics of it in truck section under "post your wrecker pictures"

LonestarCobra

That sounds like a neet truck,you should send a pic of it.I am working on a 6 wheel drive FWD truck.I Installed a 60,000 lb garwood winch on it.Its a mechanical drive winch.Ill post pics of it in truck section under "post your wrecker pictures"

I'll post some over in the wrecker pick forum, so we dont hijack this thread.