• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck clutch

Old Growth

I have a 78 Kenworth with a CAT and a 13 speed.

I parked it for about 4 months. I fire up every month or so. Ive left it sit for long periods before with no problems, but not this time.

The clutch disc is frozen and it wont go into gear. I cant easily start it in gear since its parked in a tight spot. Probably have to pull it out with the hoe and then try it in gear.

Any pointers or advice?

Thanks!

Shimmy1

Air brakes, right? Shouldn't move very easily. Hold the clutch in, put in high gear, bump the starter a few times.

A bit more aggressive move would be to try and slip it into gear while cranking with the clutch pushed in. Probably not the best for the trans, but surely better than pulling a transmission.

Are you certain the clutch is being released with the pedal?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That has happed several time to me on my antique junk that sets. I get the truck into the open, start it in low gear so it moves and slowly and steadily power off, and on with the accelerator pedal with the clutch pedal depressed. I have enough property I don't go onto the street but speed is not needed, just load and unload the driveline while the clutch pedal is pushed down. They usually release with a bang but doesn't hurt anything.

Old Doug

We have a tractor that we have owned over 30 years and at the time a pickup that had been around several year. One spring i think it had been very wet the clutch on both of them stuck. They had never stuck before or since. The tractor was even inside a building both had been used less than 30 days ago. I think i started them in gear and applied the brakes while pressing the clutch.

Delmer

Sometimes just letting them idle and warm up, then cool down overnight, start up again and warm up the next day does it. After warming up, prop the clutch peddle down for a couple minutes while at it's roughest idle.

Old Growth

Im a good mechanic, but Im not familiar with big rig clutches yet as I have never had to pull one yet.

Im not sure how to tel the difference, but I have a feeling Im going to learn here soon, Lol!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would verify that the linkage is still in tact. I would prop the pedal down with my longest prybar, rattle the cover with an air hammer and hose the inside with brake cleaner. Rotate and repeat. The other thing, make sure the tits aren't torn off the clutch brake. While you're in there, check clutch adjustment. Pedal up, clearance between brake and bearing should be ½ to 9/16" . Good luck

Old Growth

Woo-hoo!
I got lucky, I just stuffed into low and pretended I couldn’t hear anything and it popped loose!
I really did not want to learn about removing clutches and trans in this Ol girl!

Thanks for all the info and possible ideas if things were worse. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10

Shimmy1

Woo-hoo!
I got lucky, I just stuffed into low and pretended I couldn’t hear anything and it popped loose!
I really did not want to learn about removing clutches and trans in this Ol girl!

Thanks for all the info and possible ideas if things were worse. I appreciate it.
I would not be starting it every month unless I'm going to drive it for a couple hours to dry everything out. If you don't need it, I'd pull the battery cables and let her sleep until spring.