• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stretch D8's in Antarctica

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Thank you OM I did enjoy that
Hills in the background are even a mirror image of my home territory in New Zealand !
Boy like me would have been right at home there ! office#1.jpg

Deere500a

^Did you drive or fly out? It would have been neat to see her pushing along side the other old 8's especially when that 660 came out to play. I saw the red KW with the yellow Dodge 300 there.

Dr. Ernie

Damn, that is more dirt than Mary Ann ever saw... too bad she is not pushing snow...

The tracks look tight because their is no top rollers, only a wood slide.

I wonder if she still has the reduced blade fan? If I remember correctly she has 2 blades on the fan.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
^Did you drive or fly out? It would have been neat to see her pushing along side the other old 8's especially when that 660 came out to play. I saw the red KW with the yellow Dodge 300 there.

I drove out. Went early and spent a couple days in Loveland with friends on the way. Yes, Mike was there with his Kenworth and Dodge. He also had the HO 2U D8 and the D7with the Allis Chalmers cable scraper on it. Mike and the boys hauled equipment in for a few weeks preceding the show and then hauled it all out again.

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Yair . . .

Thanks for the heads up Shimmy1

I had missed that. Bloody marvellous I liked the drawn ripper with the (I think) aircraft tyres.

Cheers.

The 14A with that sweet ripper came down from Petaluma. It is owned by the same man that owns Mary Ann. He also brought the Cat 660, the Walker Bulldog, another D8 with 80 scraper, a D6 with 60 scraper, A D4 with 40 scraper, a DW 20 scraper, and the Tucker Snow Cat. Glen supported the show in a monstrous way. I think I am missing a couple more pieces he brung to.

Shimmy1

The 14A with that sweet ripper came down from Petaluma. It is owned by the same man that owns Mary Ann. He also brought the Cat 660, the Walker Bulldog, another D8 with 80 scraper, a D6 with 60 scraper, A D4 with 40 scraper, a DW 20 scraper, and the Tucker Snow Cat. Glen supported the show in a monstrous way. I think I am missing a couple more pieces he brung to.

O-I-H, so............if you know someone can you test drive anything? The one thing I'd like to try someday is a string-control pan. I don't want to have to buy one, though.

JDOFMEMI

I am sorry that I had to miss the show. I had been looking forward to it, and getting to try out some of the old iron again.

I went a few years back when the had it at the Tulare ag expo. I had to sign up as a member, pay some pretty reasonable dues, and get a quick lesson then off I went. I got to try out a couple of cable pans and some others. It was a good time, and I am sad I did not get to go this time. Maybe for the next I can make up for it.

Shimmy1

I had to sign up as a member, pay some pretty reasonable dues, and get a quick lesson then off I went. I got to try out a couple of cable pans and some others. It was a good time, and I am sad I did not get to go this time. Maybe for the next I can make up for it.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Maybe there is a chance I might get to play with one someday.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

What I would really like to see is a tandem scraper cable rig.

I have never actually seen one except on a few old videos but there used to be talk about a contractor running a D8 over here with two 15 yard Le Tourneau LP's back in the early sixties . . . the second PCU drives off the front of the crankshaft.

If any one can come up with any pictures it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Thanks JDOFMEMI . That was one of the videos I was referring to, the other was I think some outfit working on the Aswan High Dam.

I would love to see some good stills of those rigs showing the controls and how the string was rigged.

Cheers.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
O-I-H, so............if you know someone can you test drive anything? The one thing I'd like to try someday is a string-control pan. I don't want to have to buy one, though.

Most of the guys are very generous with their equipment. Guys that are familiar with Cats have no problems learning how to operate the cable rigs. A round or two with them and let them play. I spent parts of 3 days teaching folks how to operate cable pans using Mike's, Glen's, and others machines. No big rush in the play area. Everyone is having a good time instead of rushing rounds. Even had an Aussie, old Cat restores, that lives in New York fly in for the weekend and he was on a cable pan for the first time.

Last edited:

jaluhn

Probably going back home from Santa Margerita- The gentleman who owns her (Glen) lives in the Peteluma area.