• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welder Dave

Then there is the flip side. You have a special tool or something you used once and it sat around for years so you got rid of it. Then 3 weeks later you need it again and you're kicking yourself for getting rid of it. You don't want that to happen again so now you tend to hold onto things you might need in the future. If you get rid of it, sure enough you'll need shortly after. If you don't get rid of it, you'll never need it again. Decisions, decisions??? Chapter 3 how to become a hoarder.

Old Growth

Time Wasted costs.

Time collecting, Storing out, cannot find later for use spending hours to not find or has weathered beyond re-use, wasted efforts wasted stored space, waste of more time disposing.

There is a great satisfaction in finding a useful chunk of scrap iron thats "just right" to weld onto something.
Or the satisfaction of just walking out back and grabbing a perfect sized hoseclamp off and old radiator in the brass/copper pile.
Or the grin you get after rounding up a pair of old rear axleshafts when ya need some "perfect" property corner marker stakes to pound into the earth.

I love hoarding old ****. When I die, I hope a bunch of hoarders fight over my junk heap and get the same grin when they load it up and save it all from the scrap ship.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Btw
Been at the above condition. Takes 15 minutes drive to Hdwe or General merchandise or automotive store here, takes minutes to call and validate has what is needed.
Can take all day to dig thru piles to find what Can or Can be made to work, even more effort to clean up the old part well enough to actually use.

As age find the time it takes to Locate what knew I had that either is buried so deep as to be invisible or is so aged as to be unusable that those minutes to hours wasted are becoming far more precious than that brief and fleeting moment of considered achievement.

Great Uncle passed away with several rusty tin cans of worse rusted nails of no use to anyone that he spent hours to straighten, piles of partially rotted or broken lumber of odd dimension planned to be reused ending up on a burn pile, a workbench of small mechanisms and broken tools meant to reuse somehow that collected dust and spider webs. Great Aunt would NOT go out and look at it, had her son in law dispose of everything that Ben had wasted days to weeks pondering of.

I sort thru my crap piles, been shedding more and more as do not have the years left to massage junk to treasures or find the need to repair or replace mechanisms with with old repair material to the same mechanisms over and over, fix it right one time, done for years and years no second thoughts.

Old Doug

I'm wondering if you could explain what exactly you're suggesting? If you mean "it costs" in terms of when someone else has to dispose of the sh!t for pennies on the dollar that they refused to accept to sell said piece, I get that completely. But, is there a direct cost you are referring to?
I hope I can explain this . Buildings,van trailers, houses and what is really bad is rental storage space. They cost money moving stuff around that you have owned for years cost money . Leaving your good vehicles outside because your garage is full of stuff you got free or cheap cost money. Time is money having to deal with something over and over cost money. I have had stuff for years and that day comes along when its needed and that fills great and makes it seem worth it but if its rusty dusty and needs cleaned up ?

Shimmy1

I hope I can explain this . Buildings,van trailers, houses and what is really bad is rental storage space. They cost money moving stuff around that you have owned for years cost money . Leaving your good vehicles outside because your garage is full of stuff you got free or cheap cost money. Time is money having to deal with something over and over cost money. I have had stuff for years and that day comes along when its needed and that fills great and makes it seem worth it but if its rusty dusty and needs cleaned up ?

I was hoping this wasn't the case. Completely understand the madness of buying or building to store useless stuff, storage units are the epitome of it all.

Truck Shop

As age find the time it takes to Locate what knew I had that either is buried so deep as to be invisible or is so aged as to be unusable that those minutes to hours wasted are becoming far more precious than that brief and fleeting moment of considered achievement.
Yes--The reason for photo's--take up less space--less rot, less spider webs, less buildings to store
said crap, less scrap laying around spoiling the view, easier to mow the property, less fire hazard,
I like old stuff just as long as it's hidden behind a fence or in a museum, I like old vehicles, but
only so many are needed to represent history, scrap the rest.
I remember in 1989 scrap was up, owner decided to clean the yard out. There was a roving
crusher from Great Falls Montana--{JB Junk}. JB had three roving crushers at the time. He showed
up and crushed 140 some cars in one day. Next morning came in handed the weight slips and
cash to the boss. Everything in that yard became total history, the yard became useable again.

Truck Shop

Rental storage----is a booming business. Storage units for the crazed public to store sh!t
they couldn't afford plus didn't need. The internet and box stores have fed the shopping
for crap frenzy---and perpetuated the storage unit business. Paying to store sh!t they didn't
need.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those that purchase expired rentals the owners refuse to pat up the rent say similar, 90% is schit, dumpster fodder, mildewed, moldy, particle board crap that should not have been moved but to a fire pit. The rest is rags clothing, old bedding, keepsakes no one remembers what for.

On OCCASION a sleeping money pit is opened, prime 1700s or 1800s custom built furnishings and Treasure troves of period jewelry or clothing packed in sealed boxes. Tools collections from blacksmith made heirloom quality patterns. Seldom happens but as does someone makes a load of money.

Local here opened one, owner of materials had passed, was into coin op laundries and car washes, had tin coffee cans of Silver Quarters and Dimes, 65 years of business worth hand sorted out. Several collector piece one lung Maytag Engines. Several other one lung International engines. No one knew they were there.

Jimbo

Rental storage----is a booming business. Storage units for the crazed public to store sh!t
they couldn't afford plus didn't need. The internet and box stores have fed the shopping
for crap frenzy---and perpetuated the storage unit business. Paying to store sh!t they didn't
need.
Interestingly, a pretty solid investment--owning the storage unit complex.
On average, the renter's contents value equals three and one half months rent, after that, $$$$ down the drain

Truck Shop

Interestingly, a pretty solid investment--owning the storage unit complex.
On average, the renter's contents value equals three and one half months rent, after that, $$$$ down the drain
Must be--there have been 3 large tracts of self store units built in the last year here in town.
One thing for sure, storage units are eyesores around town.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Went in our old barn today, needed a rake & shovel.
Grabbed a shovel and wtf? Where did this come from?
Fiberglass handle, split from end to end, taped at the top.
I asked my hoarder father...."I found it".
Well, you should have left it there.
It's new storage place is in the village dumpster.
My life is gonna suck when he passes.

Ed

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Rental storage space just keeps booming and booming. They just built a couple more across from my shop, made major improvements to the existing ones. Funny thing is, you don't see many people coming to visit their junk. It just sits there year after year incurring rent.

Welder Dave

Yeah, and they are just a rip off. I was overcharged $3/month for insurance that you had to buy. Their response was I was still covered. You overcharged me for a year and half. Give me a $50 credit or something. I had no choice than to get a storage unit. I sold my acreage and made it a condition I could keep some stuff in a corner of the garage for a month. The buyers seemed really sketchy so I got it out of there. Got a free month rental for signing a 6 month rental. They said I could get a similar deal if I needed to rent a unit longer. Nope, only new renters get a deal. That's really whacked. I'm a loyal customer but get punished for being one. I wish I could have built my pole shed earlier.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Our Hamlet is seriously Tiny, 2800 populations +/- on any given week. are FIVE Storage complexes. two off Hwy 100 E of town, two on Hwy 100 W of town and at least one aware of on Hwy 19 S of town. Between them all is enough storage units for every home owner in town to have Two units.

Add to that those of neighboring towns of even Less population that people here drag Schit to away from home. Garages FULL, Barns FULL, Storage units packed tight. Sad we have all these landfills in tin sheds.

Old Doug

What really was a deal that I didn't like was we had several buildings there were times when we had a load of stuff in an open top truck /trailer that needed not to get wet and no were to get it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.