• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stihl Chain Saw

coopers

Hey guys,

Looking for a chain saw (stihl) that is not super heavy duty but not a light weight. It's mainly going to be used for cutting small to average size trees (doug firs, hemlock, cedars etc) when I'm clearing land. Looking at 3-4 foot diameter at times. I'm not 100% familiar with Stihl saws but I know they're good and have heard no complaints. MS 361 saw, how's that model? What's a good bar length?

Thanks

PSDF350

Beter off with a husky:) But if you insist on a sthil then the ms440 or 460 will do what you need. They changed the numbers so ask. But go with a pro saw not a home owners. You will pay more but is well worth it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I do cutting a few times a year in my business and was looking for the biggest Stihl without getting into the mega priced saws. I got a 390 with 24" bar. This was about 5 years ago, I don't know if they still use the same numbers or not. It's got plenty of power for what I do, I think the biggest I've taken down is a 3' diameter cherry.

BB64

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Steve is right!

coopers -- if you aren't planning on using it all the time, Steve is right about the 390, it's a great mid-grade saw that doesn't break the bank -- same body & weight as the 290 and 310, but more power.

Buying extra bars & chains will let you maximize your saw's potential, I find that 4"/HP with full complement 3/8" chain is optimal for me if the saw is for felling and bucking -- if you need to go longer, you can go with skip chain so there are fewer cutting teeth in the wood at any point. I find that most folks dump the tip of the bar into the ground if the bar is much over 20" so I'd stay away from only having a 24" bar. Also, with an extra bar & chain, you don't need an extra saw to extract yourself when you invariably pinch... and it'll always happen when you don't have time or help. For the bar you will use the most, have 3 or 4 chains so if a couple are off getting sharpened you aren't hosed... for the spare/longer/rescue bar, 2 chains is enough. If you are thinking about a pair of saws, make sure they share the same bar mount!

Stihl's numbering system used to be "0xy" where if "y" was even, it is a pro series... now they unified their entire numbering system so it became "MSxyz" -- it still works out, for the most part, that if "y" is even, it is in the pro series and "z" is the revision level. I like rim sprockets for the pro saws, but for light use, spur sprockets are good enough. On pro saws, I like the wide nose ES bars but any of the bars will work well. If you are comfortable running a saw, get chain without the "comfort" links, it is easier to sharpen and will generally run better. Super chain cuts better in most wood, but is harder to keep sharp and goes downhill quick if you round off a point -- Micro chain doesn't cut quite as well but lasts better, especially if there is dirt on (or in) the logs. Elastostart is nice, but can be added later when you break the pull cord. Tool-less tensioning is annoying, to me, because it is hard to keep clean and doesn't let you flip the bar, easily, when you change chains.

As you can tell, I love my Stihls... I fell with an 066 w/ 24" or 32" or a 440 w/24". For light limbing I use older 023/025's w/ 16" bars. Bucking firewood is 036/361 w/16" or 440 w/20" territory. One of these days, some of those 025's will die and I'll move up to 260's so the bar mounts are all common. I also maintain saws and chains for friends, so I play with several more 025/250's, 270, 039, 046 and a couple oldies like an 009 and an 031.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year, everyone!

ohioduramax

I got a MS 360 (361 replaced it) and its a good saw. If you are gonna be using it alot to drop 3-4 ft trees id buy a MS 460 or even a 066. You cant go wrong with a stihl saw.

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
Beter off with a husky:) But if you insist on a sthil then the ms440 or 460 will do what you need. They changed the numbers so ask. But go with a pro saw not a home owners. You will pay more but is well worth it.
I'll 2nd this. If your cutting 3-4 foot stems you'r going to want a bigger saw than a 361

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
check out www.arboristsite.com they have alot of tree and chainsaw guru's over there. My opinon is this. Get a ms460, they are awesome. I have had the same one for about 10 years now and still havent changed the sparkplug, or anything else. Its on its second 24" bar, nose blew on the old one. I also have a 32" bar that I use as needed. My father has a 20 year old 044 that he uses for firewood, both comercial and personal. He logs his one farm with it, I help sometimes with my 460. So far these are the parts that he has replaced, sparkplug 2x. Pull rope and recoil housing 1x, last year. Tank fuel filter and rubber line 1x, this year. A shock absorber bushing 1x, 8 years ago. As far as I am concerned, a stihl is worth every penny you pay. Yes, the comercial models cost a grand give or take, but they work hard every day and last, even if you dont take the best care of them.

PSDF350

check out www.arboristsite.com they have alot of tree and chainsaw guru's over there. My opinon is this. Get a ms460, they are awesome. I have had the same one for about 10 years now and still havent changed the sparkplug, or anything else. Its on its second 24" bar, nose blew on the old one. I also have a 32" bar that I use as needed. My father has a 20 year old 044 that he uses for firewood, both comercial and personal. He logs his one farm with it, I help sometimes with my 460. So far these are the parts that he has replaced, sparkplug 2x. Pull rope and recoil housing 1x, last year. Tank fuel filter and rubber line 1x, this year. A shock absorber bushing 1x, 8 years ago. As far as I am concerned, a stihl is worth every penny you pay. Yes, the comercial models cost a grand give or take, but they work hard every day and last, even if you dont take the best care of them.
Arborsite is alright if you like alot of crap and egos. But if you want to ask questions and not get belittled go to http://www.forestryforum.com/ good people lots of knowledge and none of the bs.

coopers

Thanks guys...a lot of info here. I would rather have a bigger saw and cut little trees then come up against big trees and have to take the time to leave the job and rent a saw. I like the info I've received...especially from BB64!

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I wont B.S. ya! I used to cut timber for a living. You cant go wrong with a 066/660 and a 32 inch bar. ( I ran a 32 because Im 6'2" tall and I didnt have to bend over as far when limbing.) It will have plenty of stump power for those larger stems, and when the chain gets a little dull, it still has the power to pull it through the cut. A 046/460 will serve you well and be a little cheaper to buy, as well as a bit lighter to pack around. It has plenty of power for what you need it to do.Jason

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
another vote for the MS460, great saw, never had any luck with huskies but I know those who swear by them

jaybwas

I'm on my 3rd Stihl. I've owned the 250, a 310 and I just put out some bucks for the pro 441. This saw is well worth the money. I believe that beyond the 441, you have the 460, 660 and 880. My friend has been selling Stihl and Husky for years and says that it is a Ford/Chevy issue. Good luck!

Deereman

I agree with the 460. I plan on buying one this spring. I have a 029 super and love it but just too small. I wouldn't mind the 660 but they love those things. I just don't know what size bar would be the best.??

youngoperator

Occupation
chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
ive used a stihl once and it seemed like a nice saw cant remeber what size it was. i own a 266 husky i plan on buying a new 365 or 372 husky soon :)

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Its Worth a Look

You should take a look at the Dolmar Saws. I have never ran one but on the Forums some people think they are the best thing going for the price. You can get a new 6400 on ebay for around $475 Shipped. I was going to buy a new 7900 Dolmar last week. I went with a ported Husky 372 that was on sale instead. I was going to modify the Dolmar anyway so I'm going to find a used one instead.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Shindiwia Saws are not Bad

You should take a look at the Dolmar Saws. I have never ran one but on the Forums some people think they are the best thing going for the price. You can get a new 6400 on ebay for around $475 Shipped. I was going to buy a new 7900 Dolmar last week. I went with a ported Husky 372 that was on sale instead. I was going to modify the Dolmar anyway so I'm going to find a used one instead.

Another Tough little saw is a Shindiwia. They are not the lightest or most powerful saw made but they are almost bullet proof. I have a 488 and it hasn't lead a very easy life. It will almost run under water.:)

What do I know:beatsme I'm just a ShinHead:D