• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steiger ST280- 3406 Cat issues

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Ken, I think you need to go to TMI to find the breakdown of the 1W-8400 Engine Arrangement that Cmark was talking about.

My suspicion is that the engine most likely has a mix of rod/piston/cooling jet parts (maybe others as well but that's where I'd look first) that are incompatible.

The information is in TMI. You treat the arrangement number as a part number.

You're right, different accounts have different levels of access but I think most accounts can access parts info in TMI.

Okay, well don't think I can access the "TMI" as I do not see it anywhere in the SIS pages I can see.

Cmark

Ken, if you can access TMI you'll find it isn't as intuitive and easy to navigate as SIS. If you need any help, drop me a PM.

Twisted

Ok. You guys have been an amazing source of information and I greatly appreciate the time you all have spent. I'll try to keep updating this thread until the issue is resolved because I've seen this issue pop up other places while searching for information with no definitive results.

I talked with the mechanic for a while today and expressed my concerns. The piston kits he installed were the correct ones according to the S/N from a Cat dealer but they also wanted to get the piston numbers from the originals. That has me a bit concerned. They are aftermarket but direct replacement for that engine according to the dealer.

He didn't check the part numbers on the cooling jets as he assumed they were correct but as stated he confirmed they were working.

During the first piston replacement the mechanic asked the previous owner if he had any ideas why it scored. He asked if it had been run hot or anything. Previous owner didn't know as he had other operators but stated it could have happened. Sounded a little wishy-washy. I'm going to try to contact him tomorrow for some more info on block replacement, cooling jets, over heating, and other history.

I'll gather a little more info from him and probably drop the pan and inspect. I don't really have the time or room at the moment but it's better than another $5000 cylinder replacement and the downtime.

Once again I thank you all for the time spent and information provided. I hope to pay it forward at some time.

Cmark

If you're looking at the piston cooling jets, don't forget to check the alignment. It's easy to bend them when the rods are removed or installed.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
He didn't check the part numbers on the cooling jets as he assumed they were correct but as stated he confirmed they were working.
That comment set my "radar" off big time. Simply blowing air through them isn't enough IMHO (others may disagree). Also I haven't checked but I'd bet money that there is more than one part number of cooling jet available for that engine model and it's always the case, certainly on other engine models, that the piston cooling jet and piston have to be matched to one another and mixing a jet from one pack with a piston from another could produce potentially disastrous results.

Also as CM says above it's easy to knock a jet off without even realizing it while removing/installing rods.

I think the first thing I might do is to check the cooling jets and see if they have a Cat Part Number stamped on them. Not a simple process but could prove to be the key to sorting the problem.