• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steep slope work

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
When running a D-6H and working steep slopes is there still a need to overfill the crankcase to protect from oil starvation ?
Thanks
Ron

Oxbow

I am not sure about a 6H, but we used to overfill the transmission when doing steep work on a D7G and D8H to keep them from sucking air and essentially going into neutral. We never had problems with the crankcase however.

C130 eng

Not sure about the H but with my R keep I would keep an eye on the finals. Mine leak into the the transmission. Not cool but it is what it is. As with Oxbow no proplems with crankcase.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Quote from the manual ...........

When you are operating on severe slopes that are greater than 25 degrees or greater than 47 percent, the quantity of oil in the power train can be increased by as much as 10 percent. When you are operating with the increased oil quantity, prolonged operation in some machines can cause high power train oil temperatures. After the work on the severe slopes has been completed, drain the excessive oil quantity from the bevel gear case.

Note: For severe slope operation, engine oil should be maintained on the full mark. The engine should never be overfilled with oil.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Good stuff fellows,
Thank you.
I started yesterday and it will turn out to be not as steep as I first thought, I am attacking it from some angles as opposed to straight up the slope.
Ron

terrasmooth

For what it's worth; several years ago I was doing slope work on a 1:1 with a D-10 N with full oil and it developed a knock in the engine. I got off the slope and shut it down immediately, the mechanic told me that previous oil samples indicated this might eventually happen. I always wondered if the steepness of the slope contributed to the failure.